Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Widebrim said:
Man, Lee, you could take those figurines off the tray and use them for hood ornaments! What are they, penguins, and are you supposed to lay your cigarettes on their beaks?

-Lee

Yeah. I'll put one on the old Chrysler and then park it between the Jaguar's cat and the Bugatti Royale's elephant. lol

I'm not a smoker (which has me wondering why I'm suddenly collecting smoking paraphernalia), but I would guess you're correct about the beaks. I like how the lighter very closely matches the tray.

Lee, take two.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Found all this at a Goodwill. Man, that area is an untapped source for vintage.

NRA union tag.
NRAjacket001.jpg

1940s jacket, unfortunately a big hole in the back. It fits too! :(
1940sjacket001.jpg

Bunch of ties.
ties056.jpg

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Depending on the size of the hole in the back of the coat, I'm sure a skilled taylor may know how to fix it. They often times will cut a small swatch from the inside flap of the jacket and then repair the hole with a "french reweaving" type of mend. I've had that done on a few of my suits, it cost some money but, hey, if you didn't pay much for the coat in the first place and it fits and you like it, why not right?

The ties are really neat, I see some nice early ones I'd go for in a flash! Good job, you scored! I mean, to find an NRA tagged suit coat at a Goodwill? You’re a lucky fella!

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Neckties

I posted these on the necktie thread, but since they were thrift store finds...

The first was $2, and is one in a series of Van Huesen's (Van Cruise) Seven Wonders of the World, c. late 40s. This particular wonder is the Tomb of Mausolus. It feels like acetate.

th_CCF05302009_00003.jpg

This was also bought (I believe) for two bucks, and is an excellent example of a Western-themed tie from the Bold Look period. The labels state: an original michele/HAND CRAFTED in California/Pure Silk.
th_CCF06102009_00000.jpg

poggleberry

One of the Regulars
I thought I'd post some of my car boot booty from Sunday. The accordeon is from the turn of the last century bought for £5.00, and a Cresta (Fridor) sewing machine bought for the pricely sum of £1.00! I love the style of this machine very streamline and it works, loads of different feet for hemming, ruffling and darning. I'm a sucker for a sewing machine, I have about 7 at the last count.
CIMG2068.jpg

CIMG2070.jpg

CIMG2071.jpg

CIMG2072.jpg

Warbaby

One Too Many
poggleberry said:
I thought I'd post some of my car boot booty from Sunday. The accordeon is from the turn of the last century bought for £5.00, and a Cresta (Fridor) sewing machine bought for the pricely sum of £1.00! I love the style of this machine very streamline and it works, loads of different feet for hemming, ruffling and darning. I'm a sucker for a sewing machine, I have about 7 at the last count.

CIMG2072.jpg

Wow - that Cresta is one beautiful piece of Machine Age design. Great color, too.

I want one.

Warbaby

One Too Many
I went to a small antique show over the weekend and got a few good scores.

A pair of N.O.S. sleeve garters, $2.00

SleeveGarters.jpg

N.O.S. sock garters, $2.00

SockGartersCR.jpg

A baby Eveready flashlight with the bullseye lens, $2.00 (it's missing the reflector, but sooner or later I'll find one)

EvereadyCR.jpg

Beautiful Art Nouveau silver cigarette case, $20.00

NouveauCigCaseCR.jpg

Two 1940s Inuit walrus ivory rings, one with a duck or goose and one with a pair of seal heads, and a pair of walrus ivory and baleen earrings from the same period, $15.00 for the lot.

InuitRingDuck3cr5.jpg

InuitRingSeals5cr5.jpg

InuitEarrings3cr6.jpg

And a vintage Canadian indian birch bark toy canoe, $7.00

Canoe5cr7.jpg

Not a bad haul for a couple of hours shopping...

Lillemor

One Too Many
Lokar said:
I've had a fantastic month for thrift! All the photos link back to their Flickr page for larger shots.

This is a very small bookshelf with six real dictionaries on. The blue pair are German/Swedish, the red English/Swedish, the green French/Swedish. It's about two inches tall!

My parents never had a small shelf like it for them but I believe my mom still has the small books. I think mom's are Danish/English and something else. They're so cute!

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I went to the flea-market today.

I bought six DVD movies.

I bought a simple penknife ($6, in great condition. Has a bottle-opener, corkscrew and blade).

I bought an Edwardian (Ca. 1910) nutcracker set. It's a birthday present for mum. Mum eats lots of nuts, and I figured a neat antique nutcracker set would be nice for her. Has the nutcracker and five little scoops inside a neat, wooden case. Should be SIX scoops, but one's missing. But I bought it anyway.

The obligatory photograph:

DSC05873.jpg

RetroToday

A-List Customer
I love the deco/moderne styling of these 1930s/40s reverse silk screened glass photo frames - I just wish that I had more space on the tops of tables to display them.
Found the two frames on the left at a yard sale in late June of 2009, where I bought three in total for 75 cents.

The frame to the right was thrown out on the curb after not being sold at another yard sale last year, I snapped it up for free. It was missing two of the decorative metal corner screws, but I held onto it in case I found a broken 'donor' frame. Took me a year, but I found one; There was a third frame at the same June 2009 sale that was cracked. I used it for parts for the three you now see here.

3673681449_16cba7a8cf_b.jpg

I also used some of the felt covered cardboard backing to construct a new stand for the rear of the frame to the right, which had deteriorated and fallen off.

The original silkscreen paint had been scratched in some places by the nails of people anxiously trying to change the photo. So, I touched it up with acrylic paints that I mixed up for a close match. I haven't found a good substitute for the metallic pinstriping, so that still has a few minor faults.

The final touch was to put era-appropriate images in the frames - Eventually I may place photos of my ancestors in these, but for now Hollywood stars will do.
Bogey (left, of course), Fay Wray (centre) and Martha Vickers (right). The larger frames hold an 8x10 inch sized image and the smaller one holds a 5x7.

Mr_D.

A-List Customer
MrNewportCustom said:
I found these in Hollywood while making a delivery. I paid twenty dollars for both cases - movie included. I sometimes think about using one as a briefcase. lol
I've never heard of (or seen) the movie they contain - Didn't You Hear, but there are five reels of it.

Lee

That could have been the "working title" Who knows wha it may have been released as.

Then again...Didn't You Hear

Mr_D.

A-List Customer
Quigley Brown said:
Cologne/after shave set that was still in its box. What every gentleman slapped on his face in the late 60s...
yardley-1.jpg
[/IMG]

OMG I would kill to have that seeing how my family history comes from Yardley.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn