Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds

Foofoogal

Banned
:eusa_clap A true vintage lover. Sounds and looks like some of the things we have done to salvage good stuff. Honey climbed into a half burned ceiling to unbolt a large antique light fixture. Not a easy task but they were going to bulldoze the house from about 1904 and I was not about to not get it.
I have always had a thing for the type of chair you have as I remember this as movie theatre seats used to have that type of fabric. or the old one I went to anyway.
Hilarious to see the photos. Very cool. :eusa_clap

willyk57

New in Town
Good Stuff

Dinerman,

That sounds like one heck of a grand adventure, one truly worth having. You are lucky to have friends that saw it as such. Also, congrats on the find, I especially like the carved wood bands running over the arms.

WK

theinterchange

One Too Many
Does this count, it's from the worlds largest yard sale.

On 16 December, I bought an item on eBay, it arrived today... in this box

DSC_3915.jpg

DSC_3916.jpg

When it was handed to me, my reaction was very similar to this. :eek:

I opened it and things got worse, the item was wrapped in a disintegrating plastic bag from an all for a dollar shop.

Here it is after a good swabbing down with a lysol wipe.

DSC_3917.jpg

DSC_3918.jpg

An "official" Jack Webb/Dragnet whistle, which was a Corn Flakes [I believe] toy during the original 1950's run of Dragnet. It's supposed to still work, but I haven't tried it yet, letting the lysol work it's magic.

Randy

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Dinerman said:
What do you think of this?
P1000923.jpg

Those "club chairs" are usually 1940s Down Under but that one has a touch oif the Art Noveau Jarvi sinuous woodwork decoration that makes it likely to be a bit earlier than the 40s.

Dinerman I love the capers you get up to with your uni mates and it seems you have a grand time on campus...ah those were the days...:(

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
This isn't actually a find of an object, but a find of a shop!

When I was in downtown Petaluma recently, I came upon this cute little thrifty type shop that I wanted to tell you about. Actually, my first instinct was to keep it my little secret, but I don't get over there often enough to support it, so I figure if I want it to be there when I go back, I better spill.
At any rate, it is a thrift shop that takes estate donations, and consignments. The prices are quite reasonable, and the proceeds go to charity (an orphanage in South America if I remember correctly). I saw a lovely pair of reproduction spectator pumps for around $12 in size 6 & 1/2 (blast my feet), a number of vintage hats in various conditions for under $30, a bunch of 60's and 70's pieces for really reasonable prices, and a sprinkling of older stuff. I saw one gown without a price tag that I would guess to be 1930s. (Peach chiffon type v-neck over a silk under-blouse attached to a black skirt with a chiffon type over-skirt. Long, and lean lines with a highish waist and wide shoulders.)

It's called XCHANGE and it can be found at 161 Kentucky St. Petaluma, CA 94952

Fab vintage finds at great prices where the proceeds go to help orphans, who could ask for more? :D

(If this is in the wrong spot, bartenders feel free to move it. I searched around for the best spot and this is where I landed :) )

Joie DeVive said:

When I was in downtown Petaluma recently, I came upon this cute little thrifty type shop that I wanted to tell you about. Actually, my first instinct was to keep it my little secret, but I don't get over there often enough to support it, so I figure if I want it to be there when I go back, I better spill.
At any rate, it is a thrift shop that takes estate donations, and consignments. The prices are quite reasonable, and the proceeds go to charity (an orphanage in South America if I remember correctly). I saw a lovely pair of reproduction spectator pumps for around $12 in size 6 & 1/2 (blast my feet), a number of vintage hats in various conditions for under $30, a bunch of 60's and 70's pieces for really reasonable prices, and a sprinkling of older stuff. I saw one gown without a price tag that I would guess to be 1930s. (Peach chiffon type v-neck over a silk under-blouse attached to a black skirt with a chiffon type over-skirt. Long, and lean lines with a highish waist and wide shoulders.)

Fab vintage finds at great prices where the proceeds go to help orphans, who could ask for more? :D

(If this is in the wrong spot, bartenders feel free to move it. I searched around for the best spot and this is where I landed :) )

Well, its 51 miles away from me but sounds like an interesting road trip. ;) :D

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Found some neat stuff in Arizona over the weekend. Was up there for Christmas to visit the girl's family.:)

Went to Tombstone, saw lots of neat original and historical structures, also a few antique shops of course! Picked up a block optic green coffee/tea cup with saucer for $17. bucks... no chips! Then, on the way home we stopped in Quartz Side and they have a hidden antique vending area outside under tarps with tables much like a swap meet... only during the cooler months of the year. I found matching coffee/tea cup of the same kind I bought in Tombstone, also a real Fire King jadeite coffee mug for $9. and a swell bathroom or kitchen streamlined light fixture with a pull chain for only $20 bucks!

I wont say I'll post photos but, if I have time I'll try and post some. lol

Brinybay

Practically Family
Got a pole lamp and a print of a 1920s era train depot at the main Goodwill in Seattle today. The shade I already had on another lamp but decided to put it on this one, at least for now. The lamp has a heavy cast iron base with a metal cover.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
CONGRATULATE ME!!!!

MY FIRST EVER RAILROAD POCKET-WATCH!!!!

$160 at the flea-market!

DSC06100.jpg

(RR watch on left. My usual watch on the right, for comparison purposes).

DSC06101.jpg

DSC06102.jpg

DSC06108.jpg

More pix of stuff I found at the market today. Wow, I really cleaned that place out...

Here we are:

DSC06109.jpg

Antique writing-box/writing slope (closed. Front).

DSC06110.jpg

Same box. Side view. Opens downwards to the left, to create the writing-slope.

DSC06113.jpg

Box, opened. As you can see, some stuff missing. I will be fashioning a new writing-surface out of wood & leather for it. And I will be attempting to repair the base of the box and also the liner for the left inkwell (where some wood has broken away).

DSC06112.jpg

All the stuff on top of the box, during the photo-shoot.

From left to right:

Ball pocket watch. 21j. 16s. Works like a top. A couple of blemishes, but nothing major. Will get it serviced.

My watch-chain and vest-pocket fountain pen (something I already owned).

My gold safety razor & two packs of Wilkinson Sword razor-blades (from my current explorations into wetshaving. Got those yesterday).

Five Gilette Blue razor-blades (+ one more, inside the razor itself). Never used. NOS.

Razor-blade sharpener (rectangular thing with the strings on it).

Conway Stewart lever-fill fountain pen (I'll fix this too).

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Hi Kampkatz,

My watchmaker's still on holiday, so no luck there (for the time-being). The razor works great with the vintage blades and I've since resacced and tested the fountain pen. I had to replace the pressure-bar inside it with a new one, but other than that, it works fine!!

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Am I the only one who finds it odd that, as a nonsmoker, I collect lighters? :rolleyes:

Here are a few that I recently found in an antique mall in Yucaipa, Ca.

An all brass Penquin lighter (made in Japan):
762842848_ZFUq2-XL.jpg

An Evans:
762842821_zjFbD-XL.jpg

My favorite of the three; an ASR:
762842763_HTLHM-XL.jpg

And in the same shop, I found this 120 format camera:
762842797_UkDUg-XL.jpg

And not a purchase, but a Christmas gift from my neice; a Tower light meter:
762842911_P6RGe-XL.jpg

Lee

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Joie DeVive said:

As I recall, this is one of Warbaby's favorite haunts! Good thing he moved to Canada, or he'd be mad at you for spilling the beans.

And Joie, you were out here and we didn't have a FL get-together? For shame!

Warbaby

One Too Many
Miss 1929 said:
As I recall, this is one of Warbaby's favorite haunts! Good thing he moved to Canada, or he'd be mad at you for spilling the beans.

Yep, I used to live in Petaluma and there's some good hunting in the area. Skip Domingos' monthly auction is a good source for hidden treasures - I once bought two HUGE steamer trunks filled with clothing and souvenirs from a young lady's grand tour in the mid-1950s for ten bucks. For both.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
$8. bucks!

1936 Toastmaster; found it at a Salvation Army Thursday!

1936toastmaster.jpg

Cleaned it all up, not many scratches at all... toasts PERFECT!!!

Can't beat that price for a full working and nearly mint toaster! I can't lie, I'm pretty happy about that little find!

Dr Doran

Forgotten Man said:

1936toastmaster.jpg

Can't beat that price for a full working and nearly mint toaster! I can't lie, I'm pretty happy about that little find!

Cloth cord?

Miss 1929

Forgotten Man said:

1936toastmaster.jpg

what a beauty! I have the same one but not in as good of condition, and it is the toast burner from hell.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn