Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds

Lokar

A-List Customer
Huge post! Have to split it into two! Lots of things found. Some cross-posted into other parts of the forum, if that's a faux pas I apologise!

Firstly, an old pocket bible. Dated as being bought 1883, so at least that old.

The inside cover of the bible.

The text reads:
"Köpt vid auktion, hållen
under missionsmötet i Skärhus
den 2 Januari 1883,
Tillhörig
Karina Nilsdotter
Skärhus"

"Bought at auction, held
during the mission meeting at Skärhus
on the 2nd January 1883.
Belonging to
Karina Nilsdotter
Skärhus"

Some of the clippings contained in the bible. The clipping on the left is dated 1865!

Next, sock garters. They're much better quality than my first pair, and with a nicer clip for the socks. I found two of these at the same place, both exactly the same.

The box for the sock garters. It states:

"Alltid EMOND Stil och Kvalitet
Bälten
Hängslen
Strumpor
Dressinggowns
Badkappor
Slipsar"

"Always EMOND Style and Quality
Belts
Braces (U.S Suspenders)
Socks
Dressing gowns
Bath robes
Ties"

Next up, some gramophone needles. Bought cheap, and works out much cheaper than buying new needles. Box was still sealed when I found them.

Reads:
"Use in the same manner as a steel needle. Once inserted, the needle should not be removed until it is finally discarded. It should play up to 60 record sides."

Lokar

A-List Customer

It appears to be a Victorian predecessor to the modern tailcoat. It's small (child sized), and has some things we still associate white tie (tails, double stripes on the trousers). However, as you can see, the front gets buttoned, the waistcoat is black, the lapels are cut from a separate cloth. The tails are also cut slightly differently.

I was thinking of buying it for the sake of curiosity, but didn't. If anyone is interested, I could probably buy it on your behalf and post it (although Swedish postage is on the high side). I can also return and take measurements, etc.

My record collection! All the records are shellac. Have 91 records, now.

Contains 12 records.

Contains 15 records.

Contains 15 records.

Contains 15 records.

Contains 8 records.

Pile totals to 26 records.

storman113

Familiar Face
Over the hill to the PDX vintage shop's

Visited some shop's out of town this last weekend and found a suit that almost fits, little tailoring on sleeve & pant length, a hat that matches fairly well and to me, some killer cuff links (I love fly fishing).

The cuff links were the most expensive

I'm guessing the suit is from the 50s/60s. Marked Nordstrom with union label's in the pocket.

Same for the hat. Price tag inside says Meier & Frank $10.00

NewSuitHat3.jpg

GrayStetsonFront.jpg

GrayStetsonInside.jpg

CuffLinkFlys.jpg

repeatclicks

Practically Family
BinkieBaumont said:
"Call me a fussy old fart, but I would get rid of those "Legs" on that server, they just dont look right, (LOVE the handle! ), then it would be perfect for serving canapés at any cocktail party"

Uh, thats not fussy, thats just plain stupid. sorry.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Warbaby said:
Forgot to mention yesterday's thrift shop find - a mid-century tiered serving tray with dark red Catalin trim for $1.99:

TieredStand2cr.jpg

Today at a different thrift shop in a nearby town I found this matching small tray. It probably originally had some sort of bowl to hold sauce or dip - with luck, it'll prolly turn up at the next thrift shop I visit...

TeaTray1.JPG

I found this today. Didn't buy it, but they're having half off clothing tomorrow and there was a leather jacket I was looking at so I think I'll go back. It reminded me of yours.

P1020547.jpg

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Didn't pick this up at a thrift shop but, it was near thrift shop prices! Found this Westinghouse sitting on the counter at Robbin's Antique Mart in Pomona on 2nd Street. Has the micarta blades.

westinghousefan16inch.jpg

Originally didn't have the power cord, it was cut and the blades were very tight... didn't turn freely as they should. I saw the motor's head cord was in fine shape and the price was $25. I took a chance on it, got it home, took it apart and cleaned it! Finally got the oil cup off that comes down from the front of the motor just under the shaft. Cleaned it out and placed fresh oil in it. Opened up the oscillator and put some fresh oil in it too... attached a period correct cloth cord I had and old plug... plugged it in and turned it on... I heard the motor struggling... I started to turn the blades... soon, it caught on... it came back to life! Works like a charm now; I tell you I just adore picking something up so cheap and then getting it back to workin’ order.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Forgotten Man said:
Didn't pick this up at a thrift shop but, it was near thrift shop prices! Found this Westinghouse sitting on the counter at Robbin's Antique Mart in Pomona on 2nd Street. Has the micarta blades.

westinghousefan16inch.jpg

Originally didn't have the power cord, it was cut and the blades were very tight... didn't turn freely as they should. I saw the motor's head cord was in fine shape and the price was $25. I took a chance on it, got it home, took it apart and cleaned it! Finally got the oil cup off that comes down from the front of the motor just under the shaft. Cleaned it out and placed fresh oil in it. Opened up the oscillator and put some fresh oil in it too... attached a period correct cloth cord I had and old plug... plugged it in and turned it on... I heard the motor struggling... I started to turn the blades... soon, it caught on... it came back to life! Works like a charm now; I tell you I just adore picking something up so cheap and then getting it back to workin’ order.

Good on you. Old electric fans go for crazy high prices. Where do you get a cloth cord?

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
OH, there are companies on the net you can search for but, mine is original I had from a friend of mine who has one spool of the stuff. He gave me some with a plug a while ago for another project... well, that project was a waste of time so, I had this cord laying around itching to be used.

You can find original appliance cord or cloth covered cord on ebay too.

Forgotten Man said:
OH, there are companies on the net you can search for but, mine is original I had from a friend of mine who has one spool of the stuff. He gave me some with a plug a while ago for another project... well, that project was a waste of time so, I had this cord laying around itching to be used.

You can find original appliance cord or cloth covered cord on ebay too.

You are in the wrong business. You need to be in the antique sourcing business. You could be like that new show American Pickers. :D ;)

storman113

Familiar Face
Lorrel Mae

It was quick run thru a lot of places.

Found the hat at Star's in Sellwood. Impressed with Vintage Pink on Hawthorn, couple of ties there. Ran up to Chehalis, lots of stores on the old downtown main street. Even found one that actually sold real antiques! Found the suit there and a glass Cory vacuum coffee pot. Plan to take a series of pic's showing it in operation. Coming back went thru Springfield, Main street there has about 5-6 places close together. Picked up the cuff links there.

Was surprised to find very few cuff link sets and basically very little men's vintage stuff. Seems like we found ton's of stuff for the girls. My daughter wants me to make the run again after I told her I found a couple places with vintage dress patterns. Might be a while, made for long week-end but overall it was fun.

jessesgirl08

One of the Regulars
Foofoogal said:
IMG_5716.jpg

Lure

Some of my others:
sweaterguard008.jpg

Ladies use these to hold the top of their cardigan sweaters together. Little works of Art.

Beautiful! I will be on the look out for these when im shopping. it is my new obsession and i wont stop till i find one.;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats