Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
IMGP2164.jpg

I've got a thing for old maps, but usually they're more money than I can justify (also, I don't really have places to display them). That one is VERY cool, Tony. I could see dedicating a room (in the house of my dreams) for maps, globes and travel/adventure-related antiques.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
I found a very ornate handle of a mens razor. Does anyone collect these or how would I find the top?

Keep it, and keep your eyes open. At antique shops I've seen baskets full of cheap old shavers and parts that are priced cheap, whereas the really nice ones are in cases. It may take some patience, but you might just stumble onto the head that fits your handle one day in the future.

I've got a thing for old maps, but usually they're more money than I can justify (also, I don't really have places to display them). That one is VERY cool, Tony. I could see dedicating a room (in the house of my dreams) for maps, globes and travel/adventure-related antiques.

There's a wall in the living room here that's actually of sufficient size that this map wouldn't overwhelm it, but the style of this piece just doesn't work with the more modern vibe in that room. Some '50s-vintage things might go well there, and even some earlier, deco-ish pieces with a more streamlined look would work, but this thing is just too, I dunno, rustic? Or shabby, maybe, on account of its condition? But it plays well with old hat blocks and such.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
SSCorinthian001.jpg

SSCorinthian002.jpg

SSCorinthian003.jpg

Corinthian was built for the Allan Line by Workman, Clark & Co., of Belfast. Launched in 1900, she made her maiden voyage from Liverpool to Québec and Montréal on 24 May of that year.
In 1903, Corinthian began serving Allan's Glasgow-Canada route. Originally configured to carry first, second and third class passengers, she was converted to second and third only in 1908 and was soon thereafter switched to London-Canada sailings. Used as a troopship for the Canadian Expeditionary Force during World War I, Corinthian became a part of the Canadian Pacific fleet when CP took over Allan in 1917.

On 14 December 1918, Corinthian was wrecked in the Bay of Fundy. There were no deaths, but efforts to salvage the ship were soon abandoned and she was declared a total loss.

Claireg

One of the Regulars
Can you help me date my find??

Hi guys, I was going to post this in the powder room , but wanted to draw on you men's knowledge too.
I got given this formica table and wanted to know whether it is earlier than the fifties, as the original owner doesnt know.
The reason Im not sure is because I havent seen one like this before, it has attached stools that swing out from under the table - really cool, and it has wooden feet - they look original, but i havent seen them on a formica table either.
Someone has painted over the chrome legs - its a bit of a mess!
So any ideas?
The triming on the edge is definitly brass under chrome.
Thanks in advance
5295205907_dfb6576e13.jpg

Last edited:

PoohBang

Suspended
Yes PoohBang, the stools fold under the table
Do the legs fold also? if so it might be a very cool picnic table, but if not, then it's probably a late 30's space maker kitchen (breakfast) table.

It's very cool. I hope you can clean off the paint to see the chrome. It's either 30's or 40's. It doesn't look 50's to me at all.

Claireg

One of the Regulars
Nope legs dont fold.
Unfortunatley the chrome is non existent now, its all corroded and stuck to the paint, so Im in the process of stripping it all off and then wanted to re-chrome it. Am thinking that it will be horrifically expensive to do properly, so was considering spray paint - but dont know how good it is.
Thanks for your feedback, Im even more determined to do it up now!

freebird

Practically Family
I recently picked up a wood and marble cane/umbrella stand. The top and bottom are made of marble. I began collecting canes almost six years ago when I started having to use them lol. It holds my collection of canes quite nicely. I haven't made any pictures but will as soon as I can get it cleaned and set up.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
How's this for an antiques market find?

WritingBox2.jpg

WritingBox11.jpg

WritingBox12.jpg

WritingBox3.jpg

WritingBox4.jpg

WritingBox5.jpg

WritingBox10.jpg

WritingBox6.jpg

WritingBox7.jpg

WritingBox13.jpg

Victorian-era writing-box with original contents (save the dip-pen on the right, which is from my own collection of writing instruments). I've been after one of these things for nearly twenty years!

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Beyond stocking it with some as-close-to-authentic writing-supplies as I can get, I don't really intend to do anything to it. I may occasionally use it for writing, but that's it. It's mostly a display piece. I may buy another box another time in the future which I would use for actual writing.

I just picked this up today. :)

drewrazor004.jpg

That's cool, what with the case and the (presumably) original box o' blades and all.

Mind disclosing the where and how much?

It brings to mind the once-common razor-blade-disposal slots in bathroom medicine cabinets. I can just imagine the sights that were uncovered during remodeling projects, years and decades later. And the ones yet to be uncovered. I recall sliding a few blades into such slots myself, back when the good-old safety razor was standard issue, and when such medicine cabinets were as well.

Last edited:

I Adore Film Noir

A-List Customer
That's cool, what with the case and the (presumably) original box o' blades and all.

Mind disclosing the where and how much?

It brings to mind the once-common razor-blade-disposal slots in bathroom medicine cabinets. I can just imagine the sights that were uncovered during remodeling projects, years and decades later. And the ones yet to be uncovered. I recall sliding a few blades into such slots myself, back when the good-old safety razor was standard issue, and when such medicine cabinets were as well.

Our house was built in 1968 and still has the original glass and metal cabinet with a used razor slot :).

Our house was built in 1968 and still has the original glass and metal cabinet with a used razor slot :).

I'm guessing it (the razor-blade-disposal slot) doesn't see much use these days, what with the market dominance of the plastic-handled disposable razor. That's what I use, typically, although I have an old safety razor or three in one drawer or another around here. Last I looked, the blades were still available at the supermarkets and drugstores.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR