Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds

Steve Smith

New in Town
A couple of recent finds. The pen is an oversize Sheaffer Balance lever filler from the '30's. It has a two-tone flexible nib. Flex nibs are not common in these pens. The trousers are wool and in excellent condition, but I sold them a couple of weeks ago.

z829.jpg
z012.jpg
z013-1.jpg

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
I was at a indoor yard sale yesterday at the home of a recently-passed away elderly woman. Nothing was set up on tables, you just walked around the house and bought whatever right from its spot and name your price. I pulled these off the wall for a couple of bucks. They're labeled 'Homco 1977' and are 16" tall. They were so tacky that I had to buy them. I'll show more tacky purchases from this sale later....

giraffes100.jpg
[/IMG]

Some stuff is so bad it's good, you know? (Think pink plastic lawn flamingos, for instance.) There's something genuine in it that is so lacking in knock-offs of high-end goods and in so many items "inspired" by famous designs. Better a deliberate miss than a pale imitation.

Mr. Hallack

One of the Regulars
Old Life magazines, both from 1964. One for LBJ's doggies in the White House, the other for the opening of the New York World's Fair. I have a good collection of old Life and Look magazines.

013.jpg

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Antique store finds, actually...

Nifty little leather cig' pouch. Perfect for my Camels. Like new, with (chewed up) box!
DSCN6914.jpg

DSCN6917.jpg

DSCN6922.jpg

Zippo-like lighter with branding from one of my favorite magazines. Well, the old issues anyway...
DSCN6923.jpg

DSCN6924.jpg

Saw this "vase" (the one with the painted stripes, not the one with the daffodils) at a small-town thrift shop yesterday and something in the deeper recesses of my memory got tickled. I can't say with absolute certainty that I've seen these things before (I couldn't tell you the where or the when), but man, I just know I have, you know?

IMGP2347.jpg

So I ask the old-junk detectives here for help in determining what this thing originally contained, and when it was made. The style screams '60s to me, but I've been tone deaf as to such things before.

The bottom says FEDERAL LAW FORBIDS SALE OR RE-USE OF THIS BOTTLE. I'm thinking that's a sign it started life as a booze bottle(?)

IMGP2348.jpg

Last edited:
I had been on the prowl for a clock in that general vein, QB, but I ended up buying a modern reproduction instead. Now that I have it, I predict the real ones will start dropping from the sky.

Considering its vintage, I'm guessing that cock of yours is direct-wired (is that the right term?) or perhaps a plug-in type? If so, I'm wondering how feasible it would be to replace the motor with one of those AA battery operated quartz movements. The upside is that installing the clock (provided it is currently direct-wired) would be a heck of a lot easier, and if it is a plug in type, well, eliminating the cord would make for a much neater look. The downside is that when it shows up on the Antiques Roadshow 50 years from now Leigh and Leslie Keno's grandnephews will tell the guy who brought it in that it's worth a couple of grand, but if someone hadn't replaced the movement way back when it would bring 10 times that much.

Do you mind disclosing how much it set you back?

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
I had been on the prowl for a clock in that general vein, QB, but I ended up buying a modern reproduction instead. Now that I have it, I predict the real ones will start dropping from the sky.

Considering its vintage, I'm guessing that cock of yours is direct-wired (is that the right term?) or perhaps a plug-in type? If so, I'm wondering how feasible it would be to replace the motor with one of those AA battery operated quartz movements. The upside is that installing the clock (provided it is currently direct-wired) would be a heck of a lot easier, and if it is a plug in type, well, eliminating the cord would make for a much neater look. The downside is that when it shows up on the Antiques Roadshow 50 years from now Leigh and Leslie Keno's grandnephews will tell the guy who brought it in that it's worth a couple of grand, but if someone hadn't replaced the movement way back when it would bring 10 times that much.

Do you mind disclosing how much it set you back?

I paid $3 for it. It's electric, but the cord has been severed. I'd like to eventually replace it with a battery-powered motor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran