Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds

JEEP

Practically Family
DeaconKC said:
Quig, wish I could pull off that look.
But I did score big time today in some antique stores on razors.
A gillette Fatboy with case, and an Aristocrat that cleaned up beautifully along with some other odds and ends.
022-1.jpg

Nice find :eusa_clap

I am looking for an Aristocrat myself.

Regards.

Jakob

Brinybay

Practically Family
Know anything about rugs?

Hall runners to be specific. I had been wanting to get one for my small apt but was appalled at the prices of new ones. I found this one at a Goodwill for a more reasonable price. 7'8"x2', it was tagged as a "collectible". Not sure why, there's no label on it.

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
Brinybay said:
I found this one at a Goodwill for a more reasonable price. 7'8"x2', it was tagged as a "collectible". Not sure why, there's no label on it.

That is because Goodwill (and my local Salvation Army) believe anything that looks sorta old/old-fashioned/quality/not made in China (and some things that are) could possibly have been used by George Washington himself back on Mount Vernon and could fetch Lots Of Money on Ebay. Said items are priced accordingly.

(Okay, okay, I exaggerate. ;) But sometimes not by much...)

Nice-looking rugs, though. :)

Brinybay

Practically Family
ShoreRoadLady said:
That is because Goodwill (and my local Salvation Army) believe anything that looks sorta old/old-fashioned/quality/not made in China (and some things that are) could possibly have been used by George Washington himself back on Mount Vernon and could fetch Lots Of Money on Ebay. Said items are priced accordingly.

(Okay, okay, I exaggerate. ;) But sometimes not by much...)

Nice-looking rugs, though. :)

That's good to know. Here I thought they had experts they consulted, silly me! Glad you like it though (it's only one rug, two pics).

Foofoogal

Banned
Went to town on first sunny day in awhile. Bought 3 old records for a buck each to play on my vintage type record player.
1. Doris Day with Harry James and his orchestra.
2. Rosemary Clooney with Percy Faith and his orchestra.
3. Mercury records Patti Page with Jack Rael and his orchestra.

My pile is adding up. lol

Lumelux

New in Town
Got this recently at an estate sale/tag sale. 1933 Norman Bel Geddes Medal for General Motors. Not perfect condition but a nice piece none the less.

DSC_0001.jpg

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Picked these up a week ago at a flea market. $5 for these photos and a 1945 "G.I. Joke Book".

WW2001-1.jpg

WW2002-1.jpg

WW2003-1.jpg

WW2004.jpg

WW2005-1.jpg

WW2006-1.jpg

WW2007-2.jpg

"Billy- Taken in Dallas the day he was accepted by the Draft board for Navy Air Corps. June 22, 1942"

I also picked up two end tables the seller thought are from the '50s (I think they're older). $15 each, more than I would have liked but oh well. :D
I'll see if I can't get some photos of them.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Foofoogal said:
Went to town on first sunny day in awhile. Bought 3 old records for a buck each to play on my vintage type record player.
1. Doris Day with Harry James and his orchestra.
2. Rosemary Clooney with Percy Faith and his orchestra.
3. Mercury records Patti Page with Jack Rael and his orchestra.

My pile is adding up. lol

Gosh! When I buy large lots of 78's, I pull all of that post-war stuff out and give it to a local a antique dealer, or save them for use as "packing records". Most of the time I'll pull the sleeves for use on OLD records, as I am somehow always short of these essentials. Most post-war album sets will be cut up for sleeves, also.

Why don't those of you who like these late 78's post your wants, and I will try to save clean records for you.

There will be no early Rock, Do-Wop, or R&B, but I do come across a great deal of the Frank Sinatra/Doris Day/Perry Como/Tony Bennett/Frankie Lane/Patti Page/Margaret Whiting/Rosie Clooney sort of stuff, along with a fair number of late Band and Combo records.

I can assure you that clean copies will b less than a dollar, and Media Mail is cheap!

MPicciotto

Practically Family
No pictures yet. But today I found MINT 1942 dated HBT coveralls in size 44R!! Nice clear Philly QM Depot tag. Early war pattern with the metal buckle. A stunning find at $9.95!

Matt

Flivver

Practically Family
Lumelux said:
Got this recently at an estate sale/tag sale. 1933 Norman Bel Geddes Medal for General Motors. Not perfect condition but a nice piece none the less.

DSC_0001.jpg

Gee Limelux...that's beautiful!

As you probably know, GM commissioned this as a souvenir for special guests who visited their exhibit at the 1933-34 Century of Progress Exposition in Chicago.

And, just as an aside, Norman Bel Geddes designed some beautiful modernistic radio cabinets for Philco in 1931-32 among his long list of great design accomplishments.

RetroToday

A-List Customer
Flivver said:
Gee Limelux...that's beautiful!

As you probably know, GM commissioned this as a souvenir for special guests who visited their exhibit at the 1933-34 Century of Progress Exposition in Chicago.

And, just as an aside, Norman Bel Geddes designed some beautiful modernistic radio cabinets for Philco in 1931-32 among his long list of great design accomplishments.

Great token!, very nice find Lumelux, hope I find one too.

I love Bel Geddes' designs, incredible imagination and style.
He brought strange and wonderful creations like you'd see on the covers of magazines such as Popular Mechanics into the real world, when possible.

His designs made the newspapers several times too, he was very popular in his time.

Brinybay

Practically Family
Mixmaster said:
So, my handle is Mixmaster, but I haven't posted any yet (Sunbeam Mixmasters, that is!).....

In this picture there are three mixers, the one in the middle and the one on the left are both model 3's (made 1936-8). The model 3 on the left was purchased from a fellow mixer collector for $30. That's a pretty good deal, and I was happy to get it. That is, until, I went to an estate sale and purchased the one in the middle for $5. ....and the $5 one works better than the $30 one! It didn't when I first got it home, but I opened it up, re-greased it, oiled it, gave it a new cord, and now it runs like a champ!

Just to round out the description, the mixer on the right is a model 5 (there was no model 4 produced). Model 5's were produced from 1939-40.

-Sherri

Sunbeam Mixmasters eh? I saw one today in a thrift store, $10 price tag and it just said "works" on the tag. I believe it's a 1950s model, as I remember one Mom had just like it when I was growing up in the late 50s and 60s. It was very much like this one, including the condition, maybe slightly better. No, I didn't get it, just not into kitchen stuff and wouldn't know how to use it.

sunbeam_mixmaster.jpg

La Julia

One of the Regulars
thunderw21 said:
Picked these up a week ago at a flea market. $5 for these photos and a 1945 "G.I. Joke Book".

WW2001-1.jpg

WW2002-1.jpg

WW2003-1.jpg

WW2004.jpg

WW2005-1.jpg

WW2006-1.jpg

WW2007-2.jpg

"Billy- Taken in Dallas the day he was accepted by the Draft board for Navy Air Corps. June 22, 1942"

I also picked up two end tables the seller thought are from the '50s (I think they're older). $15 each, more than I would have liked but oh well. :D
I'll see if I can't get some photos of them.

Great find! I love vintage photos

Lumelux

New in Town
RetroToday said:
Great token!, very nice find Lumelux, hope I find one too.

I love Bel Geddes' designs, incredible imagination and style.
He brought strange and wonderful creations like you'd see on the covers of magazines such as Popular Mechanics into the real world, when possible.

His designs made the newspapers several times too, he was very popular in his time.

Yeah, I have a couple of pieces by Bel Geddes. My favourite designers of that time are Donald Deskey and Walter Von Nessen. I have some great pieces by both of them. Like the pics of the radios. It's the one thing I don't have as part of my Deco/Machine Age collection.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo