Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Found this print at the thrift shop today. Another addition to the "old prints of Canadian landscapes" collection that my dorm walls seem to be accumulating.

IMG_2492.jpg

J.J. Gittes

A-List Customer
A 1946 Hoffman A300 Radio-$30, A 1940's telechron glow in the dark alarm clock- 30$, A Teens' Westinghouse desk fan I am in the process of stripping off some nasty grey paint $15 and a 1950's Montgomery Ward flashlight- 5$.
Pics soon.

Brinybay

Practically Family
Art Deco chest of drawers

I'm assuming Craigslist finds fall into this thread. Been looking for one of these, finally found one in good shape and reasonable price. Only has some minor scratches on it. The mirror is gold colored, was that common in those days? More for decor than functionality, but that's ok since it's a "gentlemen's" dresser. The camera picks up more details than the eye sees, e.g. the streaks across the mirror aren't that noticeable when looking at it. Veneer is in good shape, it has the original wood wheels on metal castors, but one of them has the wooden part missing. That shouldn't be hard to fix, even for me. Some discoloration on the bottom drawer, doesn't look bad, it'll probably buff out. Not sure what the colored part of the handles are made of - plastic or bakelite? Pretty sure it's not porcelain. Some numbers on the back, not sure what they mean or when they were put there. I googled "Kirk's" and came up with this: http://www.kirksfurniture.com/ Maybe? Asking price was $150, she took $125. An antique store probably would have charged $300 or more.

Next question, how do I get the "old smell" out of it? Baking soda?

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Quigley Brown said:
Got these vintage look-into-the-future books at the neighborhood thrift store today. The large book is copyright 1962 and the smaller one is 1953.

books100.jpg
[/IMG]

Those are sweet. There is an similar book but a hardcover in the film Gattacca called "Careers in Space" which has a retro look to it. The protagonist is holding it in a flashback.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Saturday I had good luck with vintage clothing at the flea markets - picked up a ton of 1950s stuff. Seven dresses, eight blouses, and a skirt, for just over $50.

I haven't taken photos of all of it yet, but here's the first of the dresses that I'm wearing to work today (along with a carved bakelite necklace I picked up last year at the flea market for $10!)

24pi807.jpg

Also at various estate sales we picked up another box of turquoise Shiny Brite ornaments for $3 (my Christmas tree is 100% vintage - even the artificial tree is from the 1940s), and a 1942 dated U.S. Army "mustard" wool blanket, with QMD tag for $3. My husband also had some great scores.

It was a good weekend. :)

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
I had a banner weekend too. I found a glorious estate sale. I came home with 3 hats, 4 dresses (including a wedding dress), a blouse and a patent leather bag for $15!!!!!!!! :D

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
jamespowers said:
Holy Crimony! What was the address again? ;) :p

I know! It was especially surprising since it was their 3rd day!! It was a bit off the beaten path, out in the country, but well worth the drive! I think that's why it wasn't terribly picked over, that and our blizzard. lol
I'll see if I can get pics soon.

Miss RM

Familiar Face
3402242865_cd5126de12.jpg

I went to visit the city I used to live in the other day, and had a glorious time in the thrift stores! This doll set (1942) was one of my favourite finds, although there was SO much more as well. Vintage earrings for a quarter a pair, a box full of vintage needle books for three dollars .... sigh. I'd forgotten how magical that city is for thrifty finds!

Brinybay

Practically Family
Miss RM said:
3402242865_cd5126de12.jpg

I went to visit the city I used to live in the other day, and had a glorious time in the thrift stores! This doll set (1942) was one of my favourite finds, although there was SO much more as well. Vintage earrings for a quarter a pair, a box full of vintage needle books for three dollars .... sigh. I'd forgotten how magical that city is for thrifty finds!

My, how times (and symantics) have changed!

Spiffy

A-List Customer
Brinybay said:
I'm assuming Craigslist finds fall into this thread. Been looking for one of these, finally found one in good shape and reasonable price. Only has some minor scratches on it. The mirror is gold colored, was that common in those days? More for decor than functionality, but that's ok since it's a "gentlemen's" dresser. The camera picks up more details than the eye sees, e.g. the streaks across the mirror aren't that noticeable when looking at it. Veneer is in good shape, it has the original wood wheels on metal castors, but one of them has the wooden part missing. That shouldn't be hard to fix, even for me. Some discoloration on the bottom drawer, doesn't look bad, it'll probably buff out. Not sure what the colored part of the handles are made of - plastic or bakelite? Pretty sure it's not porcelain. Some numbers on the back, not sure what they mean or when they were put there. I googled "Kirk's" and came up with this: http://www.kirksfurniture.com/ Maybe? Asking price was $150, she took $125. An antique store probably would have charged $300 or more.

Next question, how do I get the "old smell" out of it? Baking soda?

Dryer sheets in all the drawers is how I usually do it.

Firefyter-Emt

Familiar Face
Well, after seeing all the neat finds, I just had to stop in to the local thrift store. This one is pretty huge and almost all clothing, not much to speak of for hats, just a beat to death Dobbs that was not worth the price. Although I don't have any photos, I did fine some amazing wool sweaters! One of them is even an Irish made cable knit for $6.00! ;) I came home with five very nice ones for half the cost of a new one. This might just become a habit! lol

If anyone really wants to see, I can grab a photo... but I just wanted to say thanks for giving me the kick to stop and see what they had.

PS, Spring is my second best favorite time of year, Fall being the best. Give me a nice warm sweater and a ride in my Jeep with the top off... Now that can't be beat! Heck, the top has been off for the season since last week. (in Connecticut!)

Warbaby

One Too Many
A couple of weeks ago my wife and I decided we were tired of mixing cookie dough by hand and should get a big, powerful kitchen mixer. Since we don't buy new stuff if we can help it, I started watching for one at the garage sales and thrift stores. Yesterday I went to a sale at the Eagles' Hall and scored this not-quite-vintage Oster mixer complete with the bowls and all the accessories including the meat grinder/sausage maker, the vegetable slicer, and the heavy glass blender. It had hardly been used - in fact, I don't think any of the accessories had ever been used. It even came with the instruction/receipe book and the original 1984 sales receipt for $288.

OsterMixer.jpg

The price? $10. I didn't think it would be good karma to haggle...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy