Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds

Lokar

A-List Customer
I have 70-80 records that can be used on the gramophone.

Doran - I paid about $50 and had 30 records and a huge pile of spare needles included in the deal. It's fantastic.

analiebe

A-List Customer
BinkieBaumont said:
3699616794_ed44e0ca53.jpg

"I have had this dressing table for a while

binkie, my friend, its quite freakish really - yours is exactly the SAME dressing table as my new find!! (spooky!) i've got the matching stool as well (do you?) and yours has its original handles!!!! (keep an eye out & if you see some for mine grab them for me)

now i know why the round mirror question... it all makes sense...

and congratulations on the bedhead - i've a late 40's maple one which isn't a true match but suits as i've got a gentlemans wardrobe arriving tomorrow made of walnet & maple to tie it all together perfectly

Brinybay

Practically Family
Lokar said:
I have 70-80 records that can be used on the gramophone.

Doran - I paid about $50 and had 30 records and a huge pile of spare needles included in the deal. It's fantastic.

You do know the reason you need a pile of needles?

Brinybay

Practically Family
My latest addition to my collection was a CL find. It had basic functionality, but needed some work. The cabinet is in good condition. The guts are in the shop being overhauled.

Victrola.jpg

Victrola2.jpg

Victrola3.jpg

Lokar

A-List Customer
Brinybay said:
You do know the reason you need a pile of needles?

From what I was told, replace them every play?

(If you have any tips on maintaining a gramophone they would be most welcome - I have no idea at all).

Brinybay

Practically Family
Lokar said:
From what I was told, replace them every play?

(If you have any tips on maintaining a gramophone they would be most welcome - I have no idea at all).

Correct, they're pretty much single use, one or two plays. I can't find the website where I learned this, but what happens is after two plays the needle becomes a lathe and starts carving out the grooves in the record, damaging it badly and making it sound distorted.

analiebe

A-List Customer
BinkieBaumont said:
"I think this must have been part of a popular "Bedroom Suite" for newly weds in the 1940's, I dont have the stool what shape is it, and yes I will grab any sets of Chrome and Bakelite handles one sees I have noticed yours has an extra draw on the right hand side under the glass shelf?

this is the matching stool i got with the dressing table binkie - if i come across another one i'll be sure to let you know!

dressingtablestool.jpg

analiebe

A-List Customer
...and i'm over the moon that this gentlemans wardrobe got delivered today! i could hardly wait to get home from work to put things in it & decided it was only appropriate that my "manly" threads reside within... (my vintage mens ties, braces, cravats, belts & sock suspenders finally have a proper home!!!) although the odd ladies skirt & trouser suits may be allowed to associate with the "menswear", my dresses & other girlie wear will definately have to stay in their own closets...

wardrobe01.jpg

gentlemanswrdrobeinterior00.jpg

gentlemanswrdrobeinterior02.jpg

Lokar

A-List Customer
Vintage bonanza!

I've had some great thrift scores recently:

Firstly, safety razors. Four of them for pennies.

4120104136_863deeb4d0.jpg

4119328385_8265e1942d.jpg

4119328827_64ed6ea24a.jpg

4119329371_8724646905.jpg

4119329755_7aa67e9f76.jpg

One of them I'm fairly certain is a Gillette New, but I have no ideas about the others. I'm going to see if people at Badger and Blade can assist. If anyone here has any ideas, let me know.

Lokar

A-List Customer
Then, the following:

Travel Clock
4120106118_d8cdbcd769.jpg

Sock Garters
4120106290_11e0c4b421.jpg

Brushes (Three hat brushes, and the furthest back is a clothes brush)
4120106422_1629f5f51c.jpg

Posey Holder (To go in your buttonhole - put water in the holder and the posey will stay alive for longer).
4120106540_65ffc638f5.jpg

Manual Hair Trimmer (It still works! I have a small bald patch where I tried it on my arm)
4120106790_06469f2f25.jpg

Hat Box (The only hat box I own that has support inside to hold the hat up by the brim).
4120106928_4518cdd06e.jpg

ACME Tie Press
4119330997_e041460e1b.jpg

4119331213_fe16fae4b6.jpg

Briefcase
4119331291_aeff3621d1.jpg

Shoe Trees
4120107434_bdfe7ebc16.jpg

Lokar

A-List Customer
Marc Chevalier said:
These fetch a lot of money on www.ebay.co.uk

When I was at a car boot sale in the UK a few months ago, I kept meeting an elderly man over and over again, and every time we talked briefly or showed each other something we'd bought. He managed to get one of those posey holders for 50p. Swedish second hand is full of 60s-80s goods, and finding older things is very rare (although, when I do, it's incredibly cheap - silk top hats for less than $5).

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lokar said:
Swedish second hand is full of 60s-80s goods, and finding older things is very rare (although, when I do, it's incredibly cheap - silk top hats for less than $5).

My goodness. I need a top hat bad. When I go to the symphony or opera, I have to wear a bowler, which is not nearly as good. Top hats on ebay uk are quite expensive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner