Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
A real interesting find today.
I almost didnt go into the store, but walked around and found this old 1910 photo album. The pics were not worth getting, but beneath it were two pages of this comic, The Chocolate Drops by E. W. Kemble

They are dated from 1911. I paid $2 :)
The pages are shattering and I dont know how to preserve them. I think I have most of the pieces. Im super excited about them because I have a modest blackface collection, and these will go well with it.

IMG_1850.jpg

IMG_1851.jpg

IMG_1847.jpg

IMG_1849.jpg

LD

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Shelley, the comic is amazing. I'll ask my friend who has a degree in historic preservation of documents and works at the Smithsonian what the best technique is.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Lady Day said:
A real interesting find today.
I almost didnt go into the store, but walked around and found this old 1910 photo album. The pics were not worth getting, but beneath it were two pages of this comic, The Chocolate Drops by E. W. Kemble

They are dated from 1911. I paid $2 :)
The pages are shattering and I dont know how to preserve them. I think I have most of the pieces. Im super excited about them because I have a modest blackface collection, and these will go well with it.

IMG_1849.jpg

LD

lol Only in 1911! Amazing find, this should be saved... I wonder how much more of that comic can be found? Darn thing is 99 years old!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The San Francisco Comic museum has some in their permanent collection. I dont know the condition, though.

I am an *avid* believer in quality archival framing, and Im very picky about who to go to. Its a trust thing for me. There is a small place in SF that I LOVE (they shadow boxed my original Anatomy of a Murder poster), but Im leery of mailing these anywhere.

I want to get it done soon (when funds allow), so Ill need to start looking around LA for a good place. Im banking to have each strip framed would be easily $200+ total.

LD

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lady Day said:
I am an *avid* believer in quality archival framing, and Im very picky about who to go to. Its a trust thing for me. There is a small place in SF that I LOVE (they shadow boxed my original Anatomy of a Murder poster), but Im leery of mailing these anywhere.
Find an experienced framing shop that can float these onto rice
paper. They'll get cleaned in the process. Make sure they use
a reversable process.

Nice line work. Love the odd fish in the background, too.
The standard of quality set by cartoonists of the
era such as Winsor McCay, George Herriman, E.C. Segar, George McManus,
Cliff Sterrett, and Lyonel Feininger meant that even minor, unfamiliar
strips are outstanding compared to anything drawn today.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Thanks. I went and picked it up today. Not having a car or truck or anything of the kind, two friends volunteered an we walked it back five kilometers, plus another two on the harbour ferry. It was quite the adventure. We had our concerns that the ferry operators wouldn't let us on, but they were all laughing too hard to care. It seems not many people bring huge armchairs aboard.

Does this label help at all to date it?
P1010100.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Unfortunately the ferry's enclosed- to get out out would mean taking it up stairs to the second level, and we weren't about to tackle more stairs than we had to.

We had it wrapped in a curtain for most of the journey- we were concerned about the rain/snow they were calling for today. Thankfully we missed it.

P1010040.jpg

P1010019.jpg

P1010053.jpg

P1010064.jpg

P1010068.jpg

P1010102.jpg

P1010094.jpg

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Dinerman said:
Thanks. I went and picked it up today. Not having a car or truck or anything of the kind, two friends volunteered an we walked it back five kilometers, plus another two on the harbour ferry. It was quite the adventure. We had our concerns that the ferry operators wouldn't let us on, but they were all laughing too hard to care. It seems not many people bring huge armchairs aboard.

lol lol lol lol... THAT IS A GREAT STORY!!! Oh man, if I lived in your area I would have helped you and would have laughed all the way... or I would have found it first and bought it!!! THAT CHAIR IS A HONEY!!!

I'd place it in the mid to late 1930s... What a chair, what a color, and it's original!!! Don't change a thing till you find a reasonable fabric should you desire to re-do it.

Congrats, how many toonies did it set you back?

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I saw it last night on a quick run to the thrift shop, sat in it and fell in love.
Knew I had to have it regardless of the fact that it can take almost an hour to get there on the bus. Details details.

I got it for a mere $40. Hard to beat that price. The upholstery's a bit worn, but is far from being worn out. I have no plans to redo it, and no money to do so even if I did! So it should remain as it is for at least another five years. One of the feet fell off along the way, but it screwed right back on, so no harm done. I've taken off the casters, which are a later addition.

I've actually got one of those lamps, but it's back in Maryland. Someone had painted the entire thing- top to bottom- with gold spray paint. We stripped it all off, polished the stone, re-finished the metal and re-wired the whole thing. But- it's in Maryland, so they probably won't meet each other for a while. In the meantime, I'll be making my bi-weekly thrift shop run. A lamp or nice end table's sure to turn up before too long. I'm always amazed at what I find here.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Dinerman said:
I saw it last night on a quick run to the thrift shop, sat in it and fell in love.
Knew I had to have it regardless of the fact that it can take almost an hour to get there on the bus. Details details.

I got it for a mere $40. Hard to beat that price. The upholstery's a bit worn, but is far from being worn out. I have no plans to redo it, and no money to do so even if I did! So it should remain as it is for at least another five years. One of the feet fell off along the way, but it screwed right back on, so no harm done. I've taken off the casters, which are a later addition.

I've actually got one of those lamps, but it's back in Maryland. Someone had painted the entire thing- top to bottom- with gold spray paint. We stripped it all off, polished the stone, re-finished the metal and re-wired the whole thing. But- it's in Maryland, so they probably won't meet each other for a while. In the meantime, I'll be making my bi-weekly thrift shop run. A lamp or nice end table's sure to turn up before too long. I'm always amazed at what I find here.

Sounds good to me! Keep it original as long as you can! What a neat chair, I'm telling you, you scored big time! A chair of that nature in its original condition here would fetch at an antique shop around $200+ And refinished it would be pushing $1000.!

Canada has many antiques show up at thrift shops... trust me, I know... I've found some neat stuff up there... in fact one of my favorite items is still there... A late 20s early 30s high boy Westinghouse radio... all original, working and in perfect condition... cost me $95. at Salvation Army! Let a friend watch it for me when I came home and this "friend" is MIA! Hasn't returned any of my phone calls and no one knows where she moved to. :rage: I want my Westinghouse! I have one photo of it... I'll post it sometime soon.

The thrifting up there is amazing since so many don't consider most of this stuff as gold... Man, I need to get up there and hunt my radio down!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
P1010064.jpg

What a great adventure!

Ive done that with a computer I bought. It was in a huge box 45 miles from home, so I had to take the train. I felt stupid, but people just wanted to know what type of computer I had :)

LD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran