Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
^^Man, you've got some great ties there! Did you get them all in Alabama?

I'm actually selling these on the Classifieds, but I thought I'd show them off here, too:

Photoon2012-06-27at1144.jpg

(l to r) Unknown maker, sold in Boston; background is dark blue. An early Hollyvogue, so early that the company was using a sailboat as its symbol (note, James Powers). Background is black, with dark copper overtones. Last is a silk Picadilly Cravat, first sold in San Francisco. All appear to be late-'40s.

^^Man, you've got some great ties there! Did you get them all in Alabama?

I'm actually selling these on the Classifieds, but I thought I'd show them off here, too:

Photoon2012-06-27at1144.jpg

(l to r) Unknown maker, sold in Boston; background is dark blue. An early Hollyvogue, so early that the company was using a sailboat as its symbol (note, James Powers). Background is black, with dark copper overtones. Last is a silk Picadilly Cravat, first sold in San Francisco. All appear to be late-'40s.

Black and copper? It doesn't look like that in the picture.

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Certainly not a spectacular find yesterday, but what I like about some of these late-mid-century era ones are the small, simple icons. Someone has to get pretty close to you to get a good look.....

narrow.jpg
[/IMG]

Actually no, but it does have some good info.
We had one that spent more time on pressing ties back to shape.

I have 2 that I cleaned but need to have somebody get everything lined up right then press them flat and smooth.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
TT, that blue quality tie of yours is quite an unusual print for them isn't it ? also looks like crepe.

I agree that it seems to be unusual, but the more I think about their ties, the more I come to the conclusion that the patterns were almost endless. That said, the pattern is one that I would not automatically associate with Tootal. Certainly their adverts in the late 40s stress dots, plain, striped, pasiley and check but don't mention 'abstract flower type patterns'. To my mind, that is more of a cravat design than a tie design.

Some shops advertised holding a stock of over 3500 Tootal ties. I can only imagine they must have produced ties in a vast range of patterns.

I think that diagonally striped blue tie of yours is a beauty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn