Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

I have a few NRA ties that are self tipped (the tie fabric cut too long and folded back to form the tipping), as well, which is super weird. It's a feature I had always associated with the 1960s, until I found a big bag of them, obviously very old, and several with NRA labels.

Yes, they did that because the material to make the tie was usually in more abundance than material to tip a tie---cheaper too. :p

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Appropriate seasonal colors on this Cutter Cravat...

blackorange.jpg
[/IMG]

jwhitfield71

New in Town
I found this simple Towncraft Pennys tie in some of my grandfather's old stuff. I'm not sure if it was his, or possibly my great-grandfather's tie. Either way, I loved the pattern - not one you'd expect to see from the 60's or 70s (guessing on the age, as I have no real way to find out).

IMG-20121014-01135.jpg

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I have a few NRA ties that are self tipped (the tie fabric cut too long and folded back to form the tipping), as well, which is super weird. It's a feature I had always associated with the 1960s, until I found a big bag of them, obviously very old, and several with NRA labels.

There's a 1930s McCalls sewing pattern that has a self-tipped tie. It's on the straight of the grain, too.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
I found this simple Towncraft Pennys tie in some of my grandfather's old stuff. I'm not sure if it was his, or possibly my great-grandfather's tie. Either way, I loved the pattern - not one you'd expect to see from the 60's or 70s (guessing on the age, as I have no real way to find out).

IMG-20121014-01135.jpg

Yes, that is a good pattern, especially for its time period.

I don't know there's any evidence for that assertion. I'd say they did it because it was easier and quicker to self tip. (interestingly, the fat end tends to be tipped with lining silk, or in some cases unlined, but the thin ends self tipped. In the 60s, of course, both ends were self-tipped.)

Really, I can't imagine a situation where plain white China silk was a rarity.

Yes, they did that because the material to make the tie was usually in more abundance than material to tip a tie---cheaper too. :p

I don't know there's any evidence for that assertion. I'd say they did it because it was easier and quicker to self tip. (interestingly, the fat end tends to be tipped with lining silk, or in some cases unlined, but the thin ends self tipped. In the 60s, of course, both ends were self-tipped.)

Really, I can't imagine a situation where plain white China silk was a rarity.

Easier and quicker is cheaper. :p
Maybe in The Depression they cut corners in just as many ways as they did during the war. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic