Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

64tonya

One of the Regulars
Oh Yay!

Feraud said:
64tonya, If you can post a couple of pics I am sure our experts can help date the tie.
Not the best pics but...
IMG_3497.jpg

IMG_3500.jpg

Measurement at the widest point (if that helps) is 3 1/2 inches. The fabric is iridescent and looks like shot silk.
Thanks for offering your expertise :D

64tonya

One of the Regulars
Shot Silk

mister7 said:
What is "shot silk"? Thanks in advance for the answer, it is a new term to me!

I'm not sure where I picked that up (it is probably not right:eek: ), but it is silk that looks like it has thicker sort of textured areas in lines (Shot through?) throughout the fabric if that makes sense. I know very little about fabrics so I'm sure there's a real term for what I'm trying to describe.

Feraud

Bartender
64tonya said:
I'm not sure where I picked that up (it is probably not right:eek: ), but it is silk that looks like it has thicker sort of textured areas in lines (Shot through?) throughout the fabric if that makes sense. I know very little about fabrics so I'm sure there's a real term for what I'm trying to describe.
I am thinking...raw silk. Could that be it?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Shot Silk:
Silk woven with one color in the warp, and another in the weft. Produces a color-change effect in changing light conditions.

64tonya

One of the Regulars
Tomasso said:
Shot Silk:
Silk woven with one color in the warp, and another in the weft. Produces a color-change effect in changing light conditions.
Thanks Tomasso! (note to self...look up warp and weftlol ) I think that's what I meant...

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Picked up these today.

Though not super vintage, this dacron polyester tie reminds me of the "Bold Look" with it's wide stripes and tri-color scheme. It's the same length as most '40s ties, short by today's standards.
ties035.jpg

When exactly did dacron polyester come into major use? I've seen it in advertisements from 1956 and 1957.

This one needs a little work, it's pretty crudy.
ties036.jpg

ties037.jpg

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Very cool, Feraud. Would you kindly post a pic of the back side, when you have a spare moment. :)

Justdog

Practically Family
Halpern

Warbaby said:
Found these two beauties at the thrift shop today:

The H. Halpern silk tie was new with the tag. I looked up the H.Halpern websiteand found that his ties sell for $90-$145. I am quite pleased with my fifty cent purchase...:D
Yes Halpern ties are real nice have several:D
A sweet find

Warbaby

One Too Many
Justdog said:
Yes Halpern ties are real nice have several:D
A sweet find

That photo doesn't really do it justice - the colors are much richer and brighter. Since it was unworn and still had the original tag, I haven't been able to bring myself to snip the tag and wear it. Might just throw it up on OFAS and see if I can get a few bucks toward other stuff I need more than Yet Another Tie.

Feraud - That is one fabulous tie! I've gotta find one of those pleated beauties.

openroad

New in Town
Here is one of my that I wore before a show. I bought it from a famous musician (in my circles) who was clearing out his vintage ties from the 30's and 40's. I cannot remember the name brand right off hand but it is by far my favorite. I am 3rd from the left or 2nd from the right......;)
100_1060.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany