Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

Feraud

Bartender
After searching high and low for a pleated tie and coming up empty I now have a second one. The first one was a gift from a generous Lounger. This makes two in one week!
DSC06210.jpg

DSC06213a.jpg

DSC06216-1.jpg

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
The pleated jobs are so very Deco, especially at the tip. I want one in Navy.

I'll run it by the good people at Charvet. They've been making ties since day one and they do aim to please. Who knows, they may even have a pattern in stock from back in the day.

This ain't gonna be cheap..........:(

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Got this grouping on ebay a couple weeks ago. Some very nice ones in it. The hanger is pretty neat too!
A couple ties were modern so they're not shown.

ties038.jpg

My favorite of the group.
ties039.jpg

ties040.jpg

ties041.jpg

ties042.jpg

My other favorite.
ties044.jpg

ties045.jpg

Late-1930s/early-1940s.
ties046.jpg

SteveS

New in Town
Help with Dating Ties

I was wondering if anyone can help me date a couple of ties I just picked up. I can't seem to find any information to be able to get a general date on them. One is a wool tie by John Mills & Sons made in Cockington England. The other has the words Ludlow Vermont on the left side of the tag and the word Taylor on the right side, in the middle is a graphic of a bird with wings outstretched, below this tag there is another tag running vertically that reads Danish Peasant House. Any ideas? I'll try to getsome pics on a little later.

Thanks,

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
SteveS said:
I was wondering if anyone can help me date a couple of ties I just picked up. I can't seem to find any information to be able to get a general date on them. One is a wool tie by John Mills & Sons made in Cockington England. The other has the words Ludlow Vermont on the left side of the tag and the word Taylor on the right side, in the middle is a graphic of a bird with wings outstretched, below this tag there is another tag running vertically that reads Danish Peasant House. Any ideas? I'll try to getsome pics on a little later.

Thanks,

Yes, pics please!

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
The first one (wool) could possibly be '30s/early '40s. The fringes help give it away as does the pattern.

Don't know about the second one.

The Baron could probably tell you more about them than I can. I like 'em, though, especially the wool one.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
The first one, the length is important in knowing the date. English made ties seem to have used the older style for much longer. I have a '70s wool tie, made in England, that follows the same pattern of '30s American Ties, only longer. The tag, though, does seem to suggest an earlier date, maybe '50s?

Mixmaster

New in Town
Just wanted to stop by and show off this funky tie I just picked up for my hubby for $2 at a thrift shop. Based on what I have read here, I believe it to be 40's - it is a silk/rayon blend, is nice and short (a good 6 inches shorter than contemporary ties), nice and wide (4.5 inches, if I remember correctly), and has a great abstract/semi-Polynesian design.

IMG_0285.jpg

IMG_0286.jpg

IMG_0288.jpg

I also just purchased several ties off of eBay for him - I made a montage of the eBay auction pics:

Untitled-1.jpg

What do you think? I'll post more about the auction ties when I get them and can see them. They were listed seperately, and I bought the bunch of them for an average price of just under $4 each (that includes shipping).

-Sherri

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Mixmaster said:
Just wanted to stop by and show off this funky tie I just picked up for my hubby for $2 at a thrift shop. Based on what I have read here, I believe it to be 40's - it is a silk/rayon blend, is nice and short (a good 6 inches shorter than contemporary ties), nice and wide (4.5 inches, if I remember correctly), and has a great abstract/semi-Polynesian design.

IMG_0285.jpg

IMG_0286.jpg

IMG_0288.jpg

I also just purchased several ties off of eBay for him - I made a montage of the eBay auction pics:

Untitled-1.jpg

What do you think? I'll post more about the auction ties when I get them and can see them. They were listed separately, and I bought the bunch of them for an average price of just under $4 each (that includes shipping).

-Sherri

Great ties!:eusa_clap Yes, the first is late 40s-early 50s, and beautiful. I almost will never spend over $3.00 on a tie, and that includes shipping if purchased on eBay (just under $4 is still good).

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Feraud said:
After searching high and low for a pleated tie and coming up empty I now have a second one. The first one was a gift from a generous Lounger. This makes two in one week!
DSC06210.jpg

DSC06213a.jpg

DSC06216-1.jpg

Wow, a Haband pleated tie! One of my favorite companies. Yes, pleated ties are solid! I gave a Penney's Towncraft away a couple of days ago, but I have three more. Great deco look.

Mixmaster

New in Town
Widebrim said:
Great ties!:eusa_clap Yes, the first is late 40s-early 50s, and beautiful. I almost will never spend over $3.00 on a tie, and that includes shipping if purchased on eBay (just under $4 is still good).

Thanks! I can't wait to see the eBay ties in person. The seller had quite a few of them up for sale (looked like well over 100) - said he was selling off his entire collection. I wish I'd had more money to pick up another dozen or so, but as it is I stretched the budget pretty far picking these up :D

-Sherri

Mixmaster

New in Town
Feraud said:
DSC06210.jpg

DSC06213a.jpg

DSC06216-1.jpg

That is one beautiful tie! And a great color too! Hubby says he wants one now after I showed him the pic of yours.....:eusa_doh: [huh]

-Sherri

Mixmaster

New in Town
Feraud said:
I like wool ties like the one shown here-

Here are a few of mine.
DSC04460.jpg

DSC04458.jpg

DSC04456.jpg

I still haven't made up my mind how I feel about this style of ties..I kinda like them....but then again....[huh] I do like the color combination in the blue and yellow one - very sharp!

I saw one recently at an estate sale, and didn't buy it. :eusa_doh: I regret it now, but I turned it down in favor of some funky 50's ties. Now I wish I would have made them an offer on the whole bunch! There were tons of ties, but I picked through them and only bought the ones that appealed to me that weren't stained. I'm happy with the ones I got, but I wish I'd seen this thread before that estate sale so I could have made a slightly more informed decision on the ties I picked.

I have some of them in my antique mall booth for sale right now, but the ones my hubby liked we kept - I'll post pics in a day or so, and maybe you gents can confirm my suspicion that they are all from the 1950's.

Mixmaster

New in Town
Feraud said:
DSC02478.jpg

Here is a close up of the embroidery on the tan tie.
DSC02477.jpg

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Ooooh - and a burgundy pleated tie too! Very drool-worthy!

I have one very similar to the black and white tie on the left of the first image - I actually wore it to work today with a red v-neck sweater, black dress shirt, and beige silk blazer. Who says the fancy vintage ties are just for the boys? lol

I love ties with unexpected embellishments like embroidery - very cool stuff, Feraud!

-Sherri

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou