Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
Love that tie Michael. It looks great with the suit and hat combo.
Thanks Bob. I really need to start getting my collection into action more often. I've also taken up a liking for the ascot style too. It's very comfortable to wear and great when a bit chilly. Or a bit hot.

Michael

RomanImperator

One of the Regulars
Two scores from the other day. $1.30 each at Amvets:

Swordfish tie. Superba in Bur Mil. I'm guessing 40's, early 50's.

Second, one of my new favs; a vintage Arrow tie. It's really thin and coming apart in some parts in the back. I managed to press and steam it into wearable condition
I'm guessing 30's due to the pattern. Can anyone advise??

I'd like to hear other's opinions on when they are from.

Michael A

I'll Lock Up

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
Next up,
DSCN0490 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
Three of dubious distinction.
DSCN0497 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
Bleeding Madras, they must have sold a lot of those at Bremer's because I think every one I have came from there.
DSCN0496 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
This one may be cotton too, but mainly it's the richness of the colors that I found irresistible.
I guess I missed the label on the ultra skinny. It's a Metcalf and I would guess 50s from the look of the label

Michael

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
Lastly, a mixed lot
DSCN0491 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
DSCN0494 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
The top one a regimental for the Old Highlanders 42nd.
DSCN0493 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
A Resilio sold in Moline Illinois.
DSCN0492 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
And finally what is probably the only real vintage one in the lot, a Superba originally sold by Cameron Clothing in Vinton Iowa. I looked up Cameron the other day when I got a hat labeled from there and found they started business in 1903 and are still in business in Vinton.

Michael

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
Another of my ties escaped the closet to see a little street time. Unknown vintage, polyester, Story Cravats.
DSCN0719 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
I don't think I posted this one before because I had to cut the thrift price tag off to wear it.
DSCN0711 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
DSCN0722 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr

I seem to have a pile of them I've never photogged. Will have to get around to that one of these days when it's a bit warmer outside.

Michael

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
Great texture on that one Michael!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Yes, I like the texture and the way they worked the colors into this one. And just the colors generally. I need to wear these more often.

Michael

Hard to believe, but I've never ventured into this lovely thread before. It will be even harder to believe when you see my tie photos, below...

Imagine, I went to a high school where the boys were (and still are!) required to wear a tie. So, my collection began in the summer of 1969, (the summer just before I started high school) when I was exploring my grandparents' "abandoned" home.

A few years after my grandfather passed away in 1952, my grandmother abruptly moved out to escape the memories, and left anything SHE didn't need behind. The family owned the building, so she wasn't made to clean out anything, even leaving many jars of her homemade pickles in the pantry. The family business was downstairs, so she knew she could return to retrieve anything at any time, but she NEVER did.

Fast-forward back to the summer before my freshman year in high school, again 1969. I was up there checking out my uncle's old darkroom and the billiard table (no pockets, real billiards) when I ventured into the former master bedroom, and opened the walk-in closet door. (Cue the harps...) On the back of the door, hanging exactly as my grandfather had left them in 1952 were all of his ties, some still with price tags. I remember one from Filenes in Boston, for .33! Fully aware of the value of the find due to my upcoming school dress code, I cleaned off the rack, thus beginning my lifelong accumulation of neck and bowties. Along the way, in a tie-wearing corporate career, as well as in my own business, I was fortunate to have the resource of Filene's Basement in Boston. For many years they had quarterly tie sales, where ties which normally retailed for up to $100 were sold for $3 each. So, four times a year for many years I would make it my business to watch for and attend (first thing in the morning) these sales, usually grabbing only ten ties per sale.

Then, there were my father's ties...

So, what we have here is three generations of ties, (actually four generations, since my son has contributed and wears them now) some number just over 800. The last group is the largest.
DSC08958.jpg DSC08959.jpg DSC08960.jpg DSC08962.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner