Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Quigley Brown said:
Cool! Is that a Regal?
It is missing the tag, but I suspect you are correct. The fabric and construction details are identical to this one:
4229838719_4a22e4441e_b.jpg

Sam Craig

One Too Many
tie folding

On the old, colorful, rayon or acetate ties ... it seems like some of the narrower ones have a lot of material folded under and pressed.

When ties narrowed at some point, did they take the old stock and rework them? Or is there another reason so much of the tie was folded under?

Just wondering!:rolleyes:

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Sam Craig said:
When ties narrowed at some point, did they take the old stock and rework them?

In some cases, yes. I've occasionally run into narrow ties made with 1930s brocade silk or rayon.

As late as the 1960s, the Oviatt's store in Los Angeles was still using its stock of 1920s/'30s moiré and brocade silks to make ties with.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
point taken

You're reading my mind.

I have long wondered if it would be possible to remake one of the old ties, especially the really bright synthetic ones, that have been folded under.

I've never been brave enough to tear into a good one .... or lucky enough to find one that I would be willing to sacrifice just for a try.

Possible?[huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou