Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

Feraud

Bartender
As much as we all like patterned ties sometimes you need a good solid color to go with that houndstooth or other patterned sportscoat.
The first is labeled Melbroke and the other Pilgrim. The colors are a deep hunter green and a military “pinks”.
1260885105.jpg

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I'd agree with Marc. It's always very helpful to see the backs of the ties. Vintage ties will not have that label across the back that you can slide the other end of the tie through. (Gak!) They'll have the label on the back of the large side at the end. If you see things like "Resilient Construction", or "Arrow", that's a tip off.
Feraud proved in an earlier post that what seems like a psychedelic era tie to us, can actually be much older. Also, the proportions of these ties are totally vintage.
That's quite a nice trove of vintage ties, actually!

lci419

Familiar Face
Thanks for the responses, guess I'll just "wait and see" when they arrive and I can examine them more closely. May end up reselling some. Neckties are a real weak point in my collecting knowledge. So many patterns...so little documentable info other than educated speculation/observation. While photos and pictures are helpful, there is just no way to account for the millions of patterns that existed.

Just a tad off topic, but ...

Why do y'all suppose they literally don't make ties the way they used to? I've acquired a pretty fair stash of old ties over the past coupla-three years (30 or 40 of 'em, I'd guess), and it's gotten so I can usually spot a vintage (as in pre-1960s, say) tie from 20 feet away. It's not just the widths and proportions and patterns, although that's often part of it. The old ties were shorter, generally, than the modern ones, the narrow ends were wider and had a much more pronounced flare, and the wide ends were usually finished off with just a row of machine stitching, with very little fabric folded over.

Feraud

Bartender
lci419 said:
So many patterns...so little documentable info other than educated speculation/observation. While photos and pictures are helpful, there is just no way to account for the millions of patterns that existed.
When your ties arrive post pictures of the labels, backside of both ends of the ties, length, width, etc. and someone here will absolutely be able to identify when it was made. You are in the midst of some serious collectors!

I just received a burgundy stripe/fade number. I hope my camera can pick up the detail. It's a great looking tie.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
tonyb said:
Just a tad off topic, but ...

Why do y'all suppose they literally don't make ties the way they used to? I've acquired a pretty fair stash of old ties over the past coupla-three years (30 or 40 of 'em, I'd guess), and it's gotten so I can usually spot a vintage (as in pre-1960s, say) tie from 20 feet away. It's not just the widths and proportions and patterns, although that's often part of it. The old ties were shorter, generally, than the modern ones, the narrow ends were wider and had a much more pronounced flare, and the wide ends were usually finished off with just a row of machine stitching, with very little fabric folded over.

There's a long history to the answer, but...Ties were shorter at one time primarily because men usually wore vests with their suits (plus, jackets were constructed to button up high), so tie ends were often never seen (unless you were in the military and not wearing a jacket). After WWII, civilian jackets began to be buttoned lower, and vests were no longer obligatory, so neckties got a little longer (and wilder). When ties began to get narrower in the early/mid '50s, the stiching changed due to construction considerations (and this affected the rear or "narrow" blade, also). Withe the late '60s came the increase in fabric, which, along with the larger width, contributed to the thickness that we associate with most modern neckties.

lci419

Familiar Face
Tie Update

Well, I finally got my ties in. Just to recap, here is the whole group.

640sties.jpg

For ID purposes I'll number them 1-6 from left to right.

Here is the back side of #4 (l.) and #1 (r.)

4.jpg

#4 has no tags or markings. It is 2 1/2" wide on the narrow end; 4" wide on the wide end; and 52" long.

#1 is marked "Country Tones" on the wide end; is 2 1/4" wide on the narrow end; 4 1/2" wide on the wide end; and 49" long.

This is the lable for #2.

3.jpg

Lable reads "L. Strauss & Co., Inc. Indianapolis" and is located on the narrow end which is 2 1/2" wide; the wide end is 4" wide; and is 51" long.

This is the lable for #5.

2.jpg

The lable reads "Cohama California Swagger by Carter & Holmes" which is on the narrow end which is 2 1/2" wide; the wide end is 4 1/2" wide; and is 50" long.

This is the label for #6.

1.jpg

It is on the narrow end which is 2 1/2" wide and reads "Resilient Construction Towncraft DeLuxe Cravat Fabric Loomed in the U.S.A."; the wide end is 4" wide; and is 52" long.

#3 has no tags or markings; is 2 3/4" wide on the narrow end; 4" wide on the wide end; and 51" long.

Additionally, none of the ties has any sort of loop on the backside to feed the narrow end through. So what does everyone think?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass