Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
337942_10152091266070077_387308253_o.jpg

Spent some time this morning getting screen captures of all the ties Steve Martin wore in DEAD MEN DON'T WEAR PLAID. One of my favorite films of all time, and probably the source of my obsession with vintage 40's/50's ties.

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
It's said that Hollywood wardrobe legend Edith Head, who's final film project was DMDWP, created 20 vintage-style suits for Martin to wear. However, I can't count more than five used on-screen, unless there were multiples of each one made as back-ups, as Hollywood often seems to do.

The Gentleman

New in Town
This is my entire collection of vintage ties from the "Bold Look" era, thus far. It's about a quarter of my overall tie collection but the one era I've decided to concentrate on. I'm selling off all my others on eBay - well over 200 in all, from the 50's, 60's 70's, to present.
287232_10152086706075077_772429269_o.jpg

Those are some good looking ties you have. How can you tell a tie's era from its looks though ? Are there distinctive patterns, shapes or colors for each decade?

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
It takes a bit of time to get a feel for it, but if you look back through this thread, there are thousands of examples, with measurements, patterns, textures and dating.

just got this, my first Australian tie, made by 'Austico' (Australian Tie Company... get it ?)
the salt and pepper type woven areas look very similar to some 'Sugar and Spice' weaves.

il_fullxfull-1.jpg

(seller's photos)

Nice! All of the ties I've found in Australia have been British. Brought out by 10 pound Poms, no doubt. My only 30s/40s Marks & Spencer's (St Michael) tie I found in Australia.

bk

they couldn't push the British angle much harder with this tie could they ? apparently 'Austico' still exist.

I tell a lie. In my half yearly bug check, I found an Austico tie in one of my boxes. Will post pics. [EDIT] here's my Austico tie - very dark blue. Right click (or apple click) and view image to get full view where you can see the label better.

AusticoTie.jpg

Last edited:

The Good

Call Me a Cab
No, that's just plain ugly. But not all 70's ties are that bad. The tie I'm wearing is my avatar is a actually a 70's tie.

I don't have pictures, but there are a couple of ties I found on the same hanger as the '60s Trevira tie I showed a page back. They are 1970s (and polyester), but at a quite restrained width for the decade, being at about 3 1/8 and 3 1/4 inches wide, and 56 in length. The colors are mainly various shades of blue in a striped pattern. I'm still going to wear these though, and I even wore them (along with the red tie) to my classes. I like them more than my modern ties, which are wider and much longer, between 3 1/2 to 3 7/8 inches and 59-62 inches respectively.

Ties are made way too long nowadays. I thought the industry standard was supposed to be 57 inches, but somehow I've ended up with nothing under 59 or 60, which is really three to four inches more than I need for the back ends (they always go below the wide part).

Last edited:

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Baron, i washed my Austico tie (luke warm water with a bit of oxy) when it got here as it was a bit grubby. guess what ? the paler red stripes came out with weird faded blotches on them.
it's basically unwearable now. [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy