Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

Annixter

Practically Family
My tie of the day is a little tribute to Bob Hoskins... View attachment 13284

"Didn't you used to be Eddie Valiant? I heard you changed your name to Jack Daniels!"

No kidding - Same bloody tie. Did you stumble upon it, or did you search it out? That one must have a special place on the rack. He was an excellent actor. I'll never forget Smee. "I think I had an apostrophe."

hqdefault.jpg

Doc Average

One of the Regulars
No kidding - Same bloody tie. Did you stumble upon it, or did you search it out? That one must have a special place on the rack. He was an excellent actor. I'll never forget Smee. "I think I had an apostrophe."

View attachment 13298

Yep, stumbled onto it. I'd been on the lookout for one since the movie came out, but had pretty much given up and forgotten about it. Years later at the end of the '90s I was visiting a friend in Scarborough on the north-east coast of England when I happened on this one buried amongst a load of non-descript ties in a chain department store - Debenhams I think. I couldn't quite believe what I was seeing! It's unmarked (repro obviously) and I can't tell who the maker is, or whether it was a dead-stock officially licensed tie-in (no pun intended). Who Framed Roger Rabbit is chock full of great bold look ties, which seem to be genuine vintage ones rescued from the depths of the costume department. In fact, the sets and costumes as a whole are just fantastic.

Annixter

Practically Family
Yep, stumbled onto it. I'd been on the lookout for one since the movie came out, but had pretty much given up and forgotten about it. Years later at the end of the '90s I was visiting a friend in Scarborough on the north-east coast of England when I happened on this one buried amongst a load of non-descript ties in a chain department store - Debenhams I think. I couldn't quite believe what I was seeing! It's unmarked (repro obviously) and I can't tell who the maker is, or whether it was a dead-stock officially licensed tie-in (no pun intended). Who Framed Roger Rabbit is chock full of great bold look ties, which seem to be genuine vintage ones rescued from the depths of the costume department. In fact, the sets and costumes as a whole are just fantastic.

Great story, Doc. Thanks for sharing. Repro or no, it's a great tie. Who knows, maybe Hoskins wore it, although Quigley's comment makes me think he might be buried with it;). Your story gives a whole new meaning to Scarborough Fair since you achieved your long-lived goal.

Doc Average

One of the Regulars
I noticed that he never took that tie off the entire film. There was a scene where his shirt was off, but the tie was still on.

Yes, that's right, the scene where Jessica Rabbit pays him a call after he's just come out of the shower. Only Hoskins could pull of a bold look tie and hairy chest! In another scene there's a nice bit of animation when Jessica pulls on Eddie's tie then lets it slowly slip through her fingers. However, the most horrific moment is when R.K. Maroon's tie gets caught up in a film cutting machine! I always hoped it wasn't a genuine vintage one... :eeek: ;)

Annixter

Practically Family
That's a good one Annixter.

Thanks, and I agree about the hunting and photo ties. You too could own one. I stumbled over one on eBay this morning, although it's more expensive than others I've seen. Note that the seller claims it's silk, but mine is the same manufacturer, has no material label, and feels like rayon. I doubt it's silk. Auction (I've never dealt with the seller, so I'm just passing along the info).

Very nice Escher-like one Tommy

Annixter thanks for the tip. I just bought a new (to me) house that needs a little attention, so my tie (and hat, boots, vinage anything else) buying is going to be curtailed for awhile. I'll just have to settle for enjoying you guys posts for a now. Keep up the good work!

golden ties from etsy 007.jpg golden ties from etsy 008.jpg golden ties from etsy 009.jpg

Hi Folks

Added a couple more to the collection...

Was brown a favorite color back in the day? I seemed to see many vintage ties where the main color is brown.. Also burgundy...

Thank you for viewing my ties and look forward to your opinions.

Best regards

CCJ

Annixter

Practically Family
Very nice Escher-like one Tommy

Annixter thanks for the tip. I just bought a new (to me) house that needs a little attention, so my tie (and hat, boots, vinage anything else) buying is going to be curtailed for awhile. I'll just have to settle for enjoying you guys posts for a now. Keep up the good work!

Exciting stuff. Congrats on the house, and I hope the "attention" is going well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy