Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage French tailored garments.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Belgian lightweight overcoat

All i can offer is this Belgian coat. It's rather lightweight, made for spring or autumn use rather than winter. It appears a bit lumpy under the arm and I think it needs the sleeves lengthening. I love the design of the labels.

IMG_2142.jpg

IMG_2141.jpg

IMG_2140.jpg

Salieri

One of the Regulars
I have to apologise for my shoddy picture quality, but I only have a phone to take photographs on at the moment.

This jacket doesn't have a label so I believe it to be French only because I acquired it from France. Early C20th braided black lounge jacket:

IMG-20120808-00121.jpg

IMG-20120808-00122.jpg

IMG-20120808-00124.jpg

IMG-20120808-00128.jpg

IMG-20120808-00130.jpg

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Salieri - i seem to recognise that jacket. Is that the jacket that was recently sold on Ebay, badly listed as a '1950s dinner jacket'?

Salieri

One of the Regulars
That's right! I though at £9.99 it was worth a punt even if it didn't fit, which it sort of does, sort of doesn't. I probably won't keep it but certainly one for the archives.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
That is a brilliant deal. When you see something like that at that price, you have to take a chance - even if it means you have to re-sell it to someone it fits.

I don't know where to put this, as I don't want to start a new thread for Spanish vintage suits. So, because the trousers are sort of French in style (fly closure), here it is. In a rather odd khaki shade with darker quite wide stripes. The kind of colours I always imagined Franco's civvies would be.

AmancioSuit1.jpg

AmancioSuit2.jpg

AmancioSuit5.jpg

AmancioSuit6.jpg

Nice side pockets and cinch adjustors … Rather deep waistband.

AmancioSuit3.jpg

"French"-style fly closure:

AmancioSuit4.jpg

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Just stumbled across a 1932 dated three piece black tie rig, un smoking en francais, in very nice condition and almost my size. It has a very 1920s feel too it flat trousers with back waist adjuster, fabric covered buttons on the waistcoat.

Made by M. Guyon in Montparnasse for a Mario Bettencourt (I think...). M. Bettencourt was my size but more rotund shall we say, shoulders and chest were great, but the trousers and the waistcoat had to come in a little.

It will look better with some final tweaking and of course with a marcella shirt, attached collar and pointed bow tie.... More later when I get it together and have all my kit with me.
is.php

Last edited:
yeah, wheres this shop with all those bolts of fabric!?! (please tell me Paris)

Just stumbled across a 1932 dated three piece black tie rig, un smoking en francais, in very nice condition and almost my size. It has a very 1920s feel too it flat trousers with back waist adjuster, fabric covered buttons on the waistcoat.

Made by M. Guyon in Montparnasse for a Mario Bettencourt (I think...). M. Bettencourt was my size but more rotund shall we say, shoulders and chest were great, but the trousers and the waistcoat had to come in a little.

It will look better with some final tweaking and of course with a marcella shirt, attached collar and pointed bow tie.... More later when I get it together and have all my kit with me.
is.php

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Thank you gents, it was in Paris in the shop Mamie Bleu (which makes the Retro Sport caps many of us love). The few vintage shops in Paris I've been too that have decent collections of men's clothes (Mamie Bleu, Casablanca and Falbalas) all seems to have good sized collections of both vintage fabric and also modern fabric with a vintage feel. Most either do (or have thought about doing) some reproduction/vintage inspired creations of their own so I assume one could talk to them about using vintage fabric for one of these or perhaps just buying the fabric from them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner