Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage hats!

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Another Crepe Mourning Hat

victorian2a.JPG
victorian2b.JPG

victorian2c.JPG
victorian2d.JPG

Actual color:

victorian2e.JPG

Leila de la May

New in Town
I love your hats lorena, you must have very good taste and luck.:rolleyes:
I'm trying to build up a little collection but I only have a couple of real vintage ones, the others I have are mostly vintagey looking thrift store finds.
I'll have to take some pictures and show you all.

Lorena B

Practically Family
Decodoll, your hats are lovely!!
Vintage Betty Wow, you truly have gems there, they are amazing!!

And you Lella, dont worry, i didnt get them all together in one go, so i am sure you can get your little collection getting bigger soon.

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
decodoll said:
Thanks, Ladies. Unfortunately, they don't get out as much as I'd like nowadays. I'm much more likely to just wear a hair flower lately.

Wow Decodoll, those hats are to die for! I especially love that first straw and the navy with the uneven brim!
Where did you find such lovely specimens? And did they cost you an arm and a leg?

By the way, it's nice to see you back... :)

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Wow! Betty and Decodoll, your hats are amazing.
Betty, that crepe one is interesting... I saw a fabric like that on a mourning gown at the FIT Gothic Glamor exhibit. Is it woven like that or do you think the fabric was treated to get the wrinkle look?

Sunny

One Too Many
Lauren said:
Wow! Betty and Decodoll, your hats are amazing.
Betty, that crepe one is interesting... I saw a fabric like that on a mourning gown at the FIT Gothic Glamor exhibit. Is it woven like that or do you think the fabric was treated to get the wrinkle look?
Isn't it amazing? That's genuine black mourning crepe. My understanding is that it is actually woven like that; the fibers themselves are already crinkled or twisted. And it is absolutely not made any more. Makes it so hard to recreate genuine mourning fashions!

decodoll

Practically Family
Thanks again!

Joie DeVive said:
Wow Decodoll, those hats are to die for! I especially love that first straw and the navy with the uneven brim!
Where did you find such lovely specimens? And did they cost you an arm and a leg?

By the way, it's nice to see you back... :)

A few were from ebay. I think only two were ones I got in shops all the years I lived in San Francisco -- vintage hat prices there were just usually outside my budget. The rest I've gotten in only a year and a half since moving to the east coast. They are just so inexpensive here! The one with the highest price tag was the doll boater with the plaid bow at $125, but I actually traded for it right before moving here. The least expensive was the navy felt with the bow and the pleat at the front for $3.00! That one really made my day! That was at an antique mall in CT, but just ask Mary Deluxe, the best place to find great hat deals is PA. Ohio's pretty good too. We always have to stop at all the antique malls along the highway when we go to visit DH's family in Cincinnati.

And thank you...happy to be back. :)

Marzipan

One of the Regulars
Bugs?

Has anyone ever had problems with bugs in old hats or clothes? You never know how these things were stored and I'm a little paranoid...

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Marzipan said:
Has anyone ever had problems with bugs in old hats or clothes? You never know how these things were stored and I'm a little paranoid...

I haven't actually had this problem, but it is a possibility. While lice and such would have long since perished if the item hasn't been worn, moths and carpet beetles can be the bane of one's existence. These pests tend to be found in natural materials; to be precise, in wool, fur and feathers mostly. They leave telltale nips or holes in the fabric. However, not everything that has "moth bites" has a current infestation. Those holes could be decades old. What you are looking for are live critters (The tend to look like little caterpillars) and their carapaces (papery exoskeletons left behind when they transform into their adult phase; usually these are pretty small). But even if you find such evidence you don't need to pass up on a garment if you love it. Just don't bring it near your other belongings (and hopefully not in the house) until you resolve the problem. You can take care of this problem by:
  1. Airing the piece in the sun for a day or two. (Just make sure all the nooks and crannies see the sun, including the insides of your pockets)
  2. Freezing the buggers. Put the item in the freezer for a few days. Most gals here swear by this one.
  3. Or, have it professionally cleaned. The chemicals will do the little buggers in.

Happy shopping!

Marzipan

One of the Regulars
Joie DeVive said:
I haven't actually had this problem, but it is a possibility. While lice and such would have long since perished if the item hasn't been worn, moths and carpet beetles can be the bane of one's existence. These pests tend to be found in natural materials; to be precise, in wool, fur and feathers mostly. They leave telltale nips or holes in the fabric. However, not everything that has "moth bites" has a current infestation. Those holes could be decades old. What you are looking for are live critters (The tend to look like little caterpillars) and their carapaces (papery exoskeletons left behind when they transform into their adult phase; usually these are pretty small). But even if you find such evidence you don't need to pass up on a garment if you love it. Just don't bring it near your other belongings (and hopefully not in the house) until you resolve the problem. You can take care of this problem by:
  1. Airing the piece in the sun for a day or two. (Just make sure all the nooks and crannies see the sun, including the insides of your pockets)
  2. Freezing the buggers. Put the item in the freezer for a few days. Most gals here swear by this one.
  3. Or, have it professionally cleaned. The chemicals will do the little buggers in.

Happy shopping!

Oh, freezing is a great idea! Thanks!!!

RebeccaMUA

One of the Regulars
I thought you ladies would appreciate this :)

I posted in the vintage jewelry thread about the photo shoot I did where the stylist pulled beautiful pieces of vintage jewelry. Well, she also pulled a couple of darling hats and I thought you ladies would appreciate them (And I thought about you as I took the pictures of them ;) )

The jewel actually goes to the side, but I am holding it facing center for picture taking purposes:

photo4.jpg

photo5.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran