Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage hats!

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wonderful hats ladies, thank you for taking pics!

In another thread, someone disputes the freezing method. I have many hats but have never had a bug problem, so hopefully that puts your mind at ease. That doesn't mean the hats) don't need cleaning though.

Decodoll, are you going to model your hats for us? :D

MaryDeluxe

Practically Family
DecoDoll & VintageBetty... Your hats are wonderful!

I'll have to pull out some of mine and take pictures too!

You are right Decodoll PA and OH are some of the best states to find vintage deals! I keep thinking that I should start a business and take people on flea market/auction trips around my area!

Vintage Betty

1800's Child's Straw Bonnet

This was simply too breathtaking to pass up. I'm estimating it between 1800-1815; however it could be as late as 1857. Anyone have an opinion?

1800s_straw1a.JPG

1800s_straw2a.JPG

1800s_straw3a.JPG
1800s_straw4a.JPG

decodoll

Practically Family
Thanks, Diva and Mary!

Thanks, Lauren! I haven't made any since I moved... I've just been so busy with my other business. :eek: It pays much better than my millinery work did and very little overhead. Well, except when I'm feeling the urge to upgrade software like now... :D

Vintage Betty

decodoll said:
Thanks, Diva and Mary!

Thanks, Lauren! I haven't made any since I moved... I've just been so busy with my other business. :eek: It pays much better than my millinery work did and very little overhead. Well, except when I'm feeling the urge to upgrade software like now... :D

Decodoll, when do we get to see some of the hats you made? And what is your new business?

Sunny

One Too Many
Vintage Betty said:
This was simply too breathtaking to pass up. I'm estimating it between 1800-1815; however it could be as late as 1857. Anyone have an opinion?

1800s_straw1a.JPG
Pretty much the same as yours. I know the most about early 1860s, then going back to the 1850s and 1840s, and I surely can't fit this one into those decades. That flared brim is very distinctive, but it doesn't quite fit in with anything I can recall from the 1820s or 1830s. That's a negative argument for the earlier date. :D

1830s_poke_bonnet3.JPG

Do you have any more info about this one? It looks more like a warm winter hood than a bonnet; I can see quilting on the curtain. These are harder for me to date, since hoods tend to follow fashion less over the years than their contemporary bonnets. If I didn't have your date, I'd guess 1840s into 1850s, but that's purely subjective.

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
What Has My Wife Found..

My wife brought home a hat case with 3 vintage hats .

Could we get some help in dating and possible value ?

We are guessing late 30's or 40's.

As you can see their condition is great !!

The case:
dff7o5.jpg

A Martha Gene hat:
fz3tzm.jpg

No label in this one:
2yzljwm.jpg

A Valerie Modes hat:
2qnrsl5.jpg

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
The top and bottom hat look like 50s New Look era styles to me. The top looks like one of those saucer or mushroom cap shaped hats that were popular that sat flat across the top of the head. The bottom hat's shape is more like the new look bucket hats that were popular. It reminds me of this hat:

largeBarSuit1.jpg

The middle one, I'm not sure. Does it sit on top of the head or towards the back of the head?

Vintage Betty

All three are circa 1950 - 1960. Nice condition! Valuation depends on where you sell these; if ebay I'd say $9.99 - $25 each. The top one will be bringing you the most money. The middle one *could* be 1940's with 1950's addition of flowers, but I doubt it. The materials appear to be too sophisticated for 1940.

You didn't say if the hat case was for sale, but if you do want to sell it, one of the lovely ladies here would probably buy it from you. Valuation $25 - $50+, with $25 being the Lounge price.

Vintage Betty

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
BeBopBaby said:
The top and bottom hat look like 50s New Look era styles to me. The bottom hat's shape remind me of this hat:

The middle one, I'm not sure. Does it sit on top of the head or towards the back of the head?

It seems to fit best towards the back of the head, Here is a pic of the inside:

2ltovft.jpg

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
Vintage Betty said:
All three are circa 1950 - 1960. Nice condition! Valuation depends on where you sell these; if ebay I'd say $9.99 - $25 each. The top one will be bringing you the most money. The middle one *could* be 1940's with 1950's addition of flowers, but I doubt it. The materials appear to be too sophisticated for 1940.

You didn't say if the hat case was for sale, but if you do want to sell it, one of the lovely ladies here would probably buy it from you. Valuation $25 - $50+, with $25 being the Lounge price.

Vintage Betty

Thank You...

I believe the case will probably be for sale too.....but my wife is sentimental so she will probably want everything to go as a package.

If she decides to sell here, I believe we need to place an ad in the classified section , is that correct... Sorry I am too new here to know all yet, and this just popped up today when she got home.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo