Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage home!

PoohBang

Suspended
Grant, I really love that house. Just one question... what is the slab of marble under the toilet for? I think I get the one under the heater so it doesn't rust if it gets too wet, but I don't get the toilet...

Connery

One Too Many
Grant, I really love that house. Just one question... what is the slab of marble under the toilet for? I think I get the one under the heater so it doesn't rust if it gets too wet, but I don't get the toilet...

Perhaps the toilet sweats which is caused by cold water in the toilet and tank on hot humid days. I have had that situation and I was told the marble was one option to combat the situation.:)

Grant Fan

Practically Family

PoohBang your guess is as good as ours, we have no idea, and it was rather treacherous the first few days in the house getting out of the shower. I think we both stubbed our toes at least once a day

I'm guessing that both slabs are covering tile damage.

Lyles I would say that was a great conclusion save the fact that it isn't tile. We didn't know that until the first time we walked on it bare foot. So much to our dismay it is vinyl. But that is low on our list of things to change

Perhaps the toilet sweats which is caused by cold water in the toilet and tank on hot humid days. I have had that situation and I was told the marble was one option to combat the situation.:)Great work Grant Fan!!!:)

Connery that is the best conclusion yet. I actually just went and felt the tank and the toilet and it's not cold, and I don't remember ever having seen it sweat thought it does get that hot here. But then again it is 60F outside today and the windows are open so who know. I think it may be a mystery.

PoohBang

Suspended
judging from all the old homes I've lived in it's probably something silly like they moved from the 10" toilet to the 12" and and the holed didn't match up but they had this old piece of marble so they used to cover up the extra hole or... the toilet water line was just a tad short so they shimmied it up half an inch with a piece of marble left over.

I once lived in a house where they raised the toilet 1 foot so they didn't have to dig into the slab for the drain...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou