Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

silicone free hairsprays?

tamjwhite

New in Town
Just in the year I have begun to cut most sulfates and all silicones from my hair regime but I have yet to find a hairspray! most forums that discuss silicone free products don't style their hair like you vintage ladies do<3 so I thought you guys might have a little more information or suggestions for me

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
The first one that comes to mind is Giovanni LA Hold. It's a good strong hold option, which is the most useful for vintage hair, and smells quite nice.

ABBA also makes completely vegan products, but they're a little on the pricey side. They do a firm hold hairspray and a finishing spray, but the spritz on the last one is heavy.

Aveda is another natural option - Their Control Force and Air Control hairsprays work well, but again, pricey.

Paul Mitchell and TIGI also do earth friendly lines. :)

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Aubrey Organics has one that is silicone and paraben free (and organic if that matters). I really like it, but it is a bit pricey. The pump on their bottles tends not to work, so I empty it into a couple of small bottles I have for travel, the gym, etc.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I'd say yes- they have one that is regular hold- and I'd say that is pretty firm. I have never used their soft hold. The only other hairspray I've used in recent memory however is Finesse's extra hold (it was called something similar) and Pantene's medium hold. The Aubrey regular hold is definitely stronger than the Pantene medium hold I tried.

I have waist length hair that is very straight and slippery. I roll it straight (I don't curl it to roll it) and this holds my hair up in rolls.

I've never had problems with it- except for the spray pump. If you do buy it, plan on it not working after a few pumps. I would say that you have to use slightly more of it than the traditional ones to get the same hold. It is also very sticky when you spray it on, and takes longer to dry than traditional hair spray- about twice the time. But it does dry non-sticky. It also smells a bit- citrus-y- but that smell goes away to a great extent. If you buy it in a store, the smell when you take the cap off is how it will smell when you spray it on. The smell tones down after about 10-20 minutes.

On the very positive side, I've used this for 4 days in a row and no buildup. I don't think this actually leaves buildup in my hair. With the other hair sprays, it looked like I had major dandruff after 3 days. I do believe that it is about $10 for 5 ounces- so it is quite expensive.

tamjwhite

New in Town
Thank you so much for that information Sheep Lady, Im going to give both brands a try then see which works better for my hair. Do you avoid cones as well?

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Thank you so much for that information Sheep Lady, Im going to give both brands a try then see which works better for my hair. Do you avoid cones as well?

I do. I "no poo" which means that I no longer shampoo or condition my hair using traditional products (I use baking soda, vinegar, and oils). I have heard that no poo cannot remove silicones from hair, so I avoid them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy