Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Simmons Bilt Cordovan Leather Jacket with problems

Rodney Hutchinson

New in Town
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

I have bought this jacket from a seller on eBay. When it arrived it smells of washing powder, I contacted the seller about this and he assured me that it has never been in a washing machine and has been dry cleaned. The inside of the collar appears to be a different shade to the rest of the collar, also if you rub the leather the coating comes off in bits. Even though the coat appears brown it has a red tinge to it. What do you experts out there think ? I have old Aero leather jackets that don’t smell or look like this.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Looks normal to me, Cordovan is supposed to be a reddish brown, and CXL has a tendency to have crumbly cracky top coat.
As Guppy said, colour variation is normal in CXL.

I also don't think a washing machine would have damaged it, i have washed a few jackets in the washing machine and never had a problem doing so.
No idea about dry cleaning leather, that is a bit scary to me...

DorKlonn

New in Town

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I think this is Clayton Horsehide in Burgundy, which is UK's CXL copy but thinner. It looks fine. But I think it could use a damp cloth wipe down and some conditioning to bring back the luster.
The leather also doesn't look like it has been washed. It just looks very unworn. This leather will crease like crazy with very little wear. I have the brown one. It's on the stiffer side vs CXL.
Simmonsbilt SBV2 Clayton HH Fit 001outside.jpg

The washing powder smell could be the lining and the seller could have tried to spot cleaned it, or maybe he had them in pouches in his closet Dunno.
Don't worry, you got a good one there. Many makers hide the less than perfect hides under the collar and on the side gussets. I don't think it makes the jacket any less.

Imuricecreamman

One Too Many
View attachment 418994 View attachment 418995 View attachment 418996 View attachment 418997
I have bought this jacket from a seller on eBay. When it arrived it smells of washing powder, I contacted the seller about this and he assured me that it has never been in a washing machine and has been dry cleaned. The inside of the collar appears to be a different shade to the rest of the collar, also if you rub the leather the coating comes off in bits. Even though the coat appears brown it has a red tinge to it. What do you experts out there think ? I have old Aero leather jackets that don’t smell or look like this.
This has to be Cordovan Clayton vintage. Leather looks great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR