Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Single breasted peak lapel

sandysot

New in Town
Thank you for the helpful ideas.The suit and jacket had peak lapels.Good to know correct terminolgy.There were also two heavy fabric outer raincoat/trenchcoats with huge "trench" collars that look absurd when lying flat around the neck.One is a houndstooth, the other a light beige.Single button, I think.Didnt get the label names.Will look at all three and get details.

sandysot

New in Town
I went back and looked at the suit and the jacket.I was wrong about the suit which had notch lapels and no label except an American Craftsman Wool mark. Rather heavily worn through the lining in places.I took an El Paso on it.
At the other thrift all mens wear was ---are you ready for this-- $1.00 per item.I got two jackets.
I rechecked and then bought the Hugo Boss peak lapel DB.It has six buttons, 1 working,flap side pockets.2nd label reads "woven by Alexanders of Scotland Finest Lambs Wool" At $1.00 price, the heather green large plaid didnt look so pukey.

Also got a Burberry Prestige, notch lapel,2 button,flap side pocketjacket, retail label by Muse's of Atlanta.Pattern is a grey-green mini plaid so,so tiny.All wool and finely spun.Found a lovely multi color pocket aquare in the Hugo Boss.No extra charge sez the lady at the counter.
So, no vintage but nice goods nonetheless.

Sandy

Aquia33

One of the Regulars
Peak Lapels

I just saw a Hart Schaffner Marx at my favorite haberdasher, Carlton's in Fredericksburg Va., that has the peak lapels, the buttons were higher for a more tailored formal look. It was a fine gray wool with a rust pinstripe. A very obvious retro look.

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
Those old Sears catalogues always have those "New Styles for the College men!" type sections where always have really wierd styles like those vests...and those pants. Obviously our own time doesn't have a monopoly on freak fashions.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
DOMINOES1.jpg

Ah, yes. "ROPE". Good movie.

If you wish to see more single-breasted, peak lapel suits on film, check out Bob Hoskins in "Who Framed Roger Rabbit"; a lot of folks in "The Cotton Club"; the thugs in "Little Caesar" and the original '30s "Scarface"; the character of Hercule Poirot in the BBC series; and just about every other BBC-produced series that takes place in the '30s.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I am looking at one

I am watching David Letterman, October 10, 2005, 11:38PM. He is wearing a gray pinstripe single breasted peaked lapel suit/jacket.

First modern one I've seen. Looks great!

Wild Root

Gone Home
Matt Deckard said:
If I have a peak lapel suit made I think I may go for a three button with patch pockets belted back and center pleated biswing. If you look at the picture at the top you will notice that the suit is snug and hugging the body; that is how I want my suits to fit. As long as the armholes are cut high the suit will feel like wearing a shirt.

Oh boy, how many times have I heard that before :rolleyes: I keep reminding you about that and you never get that style made. :p

I'll believe it when I see it!

As for me, I love the look! Three button and two buttons are good. The two button looks way better as a three piece though. I have one coat from 1938 that is single breasted with wide peaked lapels! Came with the matching vest but no pants! Talk about a drag but, it's a cool look and I love it any way. Wear it with a light colored pare of pants and it looks really sharp.

This style was seen a lot in late 20's and early 30's. Grant and Cooper wore them into the 40's too. It's a very classic look that is coming back! And if one is looking for an original from the 30's or 40's, ha! It's going to be one of the toughest styles to find in a normal size!!!

WR.

searscat193627wn.jpg

hollywooddrapevi7od.jpg

Wild Root

Gone Home
If Sears still made suits like those, man I'd shop there only. Man, maybe I should send Sears a few of these pages to show them that they need to go back to this style. Tell them that there is a large community called the Fedora Lounge that would buy from them if they made these all over again!

Any way, I'm almost sure that they have the patterns some where in their archives. I should contact them about it. ;)

WR.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Yeah, the pattern for "E" is something I'm sure they burned knowing that some one today would want that more then anything. :p

I really wonder what kind of stuff they have in the company's archives. I'm sure they have lots of stuff because they have been known to come out with books about their own fashion from the 20's to the 50's. It would be so cool if they started to make these suits again! I wonder if the belted back look would catch on with a modern man. Chances are it wouldn't but, there are enough vintage minded men I'm sure would go for it.

Any way, it's worth a shot!

WR.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
They'd Do A Land's End Hatchet Job Anyway

Root, I think chances are good that if Sears did reintroduce some great men's fashions, they would bring them out in nice, shiny, "Easy Care" 60/40 fabrics, and Fab Five colors!

Then complain because they don't sell.
Then set them out in the deep discount bin.

Shop At Sears And Save! :)

Corey

New in Town
Amen, brother!

scotrace said:
Root, I think chances are good that if Sears did reintroduce some great men's fashions, they would bring them out in nice, shiny, "Easy Care" 60/40 fabrics, and Fab Five colors!

Then complain because they don't sell.
Then set them out in the deep discount bin.

Shop At Sears And Save! :)

Totally agree. When I first got out of the military, I bought a lot of Lands End stuff for my first batch of civilian business attire. The shirts were OK (I at least knew enough to buy 100% cotton), but as I've learned more about men's clothing, I've become less and less impressed with the quality of their offerings.

Back to the topic of single breasted suits with peak lapels, I saw my first "modern" one a few weeks ago on a co-worker, a nice navy 3-button. He said he got it just a few months ago from Banana Republic, of all places. I've checked out at least three BR's and their local outlet, but none of them seem to have any more of this suit ... bummer. :(

I looked at the photos of the modern tailor's work and was not impressed.

His waistcoat doesn't sit high enough on the waist, and the buttons are disproportionately large. Compare the new and the old waistcoats side by side:

oxford3.jpg
oxford_suit.jpg

In addition, the belt at the back of the suit's (sharkskin??) jacket is too wide. The overall effect is ungainly, if not downright goofy. Why do it at all if you're not going to do it right?

oxford4.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skipbarnes