Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Six rules for wearing fedoras

suits lover

A-List Customer
I really love that sentence at the beginning - There are two sorts of men who wear Fedoras: ultimate badasses like Dean Martin… and douche bags like Kevin Federline.
If you want to wear a fedora, you really want to be looking more like you belong in the Rat Pack, on Mad Men, or at least like you’re packing heat.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I was nervous at first, seeing an article about fedoras, with the image of a fabric trilby at the top. But my anxiety was quickly alleviated. Yeah, pretty spot on. I must say, when I think of the quintessential fedora wearer, I don't think of Sinatra or Don Draper. I think of guys like Spencer Tracy and Bill Powell and Bogey.

Edward

Bartender
A little too prescriptive; in particular, I disagree with the "buy beaver fur only" slant. If beaver was the only acceptable fur, that would close the door to very many fine hats and very many hat-wearers, especially those just getting into fedoras. There's a fine line between emphasising "doing it right" and being elitist.

O2BSwank

One of the Regulars
I think that he was trying to make the point that a 5.00 paper or polyester trilby from the flea market was not a serious hat. Although even these have there place. I think the best point was to set it at a comfortable angle on your head and leave it alone.

Pompidou

One Too Many
This author is everything a fedora wearer shouldn't be, if we don't want the world to think fedora wearers are all the bad things he thinks the ones not like him are. I'll endorse rule five, and the spirit of rule six, provided the definition of gentleman is updated for modern values.

Really enjoyed the intro!

I agree with you, Edward. Heck, there's even good wool felt hats out there if you look for them, so long as it doesn't look like it's made out of cardboard like some of the ones do, I don't see an issue. I do hate the pinstripe jobs and such.

A little too prescriptive; in particular, I disagree with the "buy beaver fur only" slant. If beaver was the only acceptable fur, that would close the door to very many fine hats and very many hat-wearers, especially those just getting into fedoras. There's a fine line between emphasising "doing it right" and being elitist.

Pompidou

One Too Many
Really enjoyed the intro!

I agree with you, Edward. Heck, there's even good wool felt hats out there if you look for them, so long as it doesn't look like it's made out of cardboard like some of the ones do, I don't see an issue. I do hate the pinstripe jobs and such.

Exactly - you'd never take someone seriously if they said, "Don't bother driving if you don't own a Porsche". Not everyone can afford a 350 dollar hat.

This is very true. I sure as heck can't. My most expensive hat so far was a 100 dollar Stetson. During the cool months, I still prefer my 30 dollar Scala. The hat looks pretty good and has taken a beating and is still presentable enough to wear.

Exactly - you'd never take someone seriously if they said, "Don't bother driving if you don't own a Porsche". Not everyone can afford a 350 dollar hat.

MikeBravo

One Too Many
mmmmm Possibly a bit elitist with the beaver comment.

However I did laugh out loud at the "When the national anthem of any country is being played, sung, or professionally hummed, take your hat off." comment

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Professional hummer, huh? I wonder where I can sign up for that...

But Mike is right. It is silly. There are lots of good hats out there which aren't made of beaver-felt...HELL...hats which aren't made of felt AT ALL.

My hats were all really cheap. I have a Stetson I paid $20 for. A black Homburg I paid $25 for. A brown trilby I paid $20 for (these are all animal-felt hats. The Stettie is Beaver, the rest are rabbit), and $30 for a mid-range Panama hat. All of them in my view, excellent sunblockers.

The most expensive I've ever paid is $75, for a classic straw boater. I really love that hat. I have two other fedora/trilbies, which were pretty expensive, but those were given to me as presents from family.

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
This author is everything a fedora wearer shouldn't be, if we don't want the world to think fedora wearers are all the bad things he thinks the ones not like him are. I'll endorse rule five, and the spirit of rule six, provided the definition of gentleman is updated for modern values.

Have to agree with Pompidou. In rule #2 the author states "You might see a hat in the window of your local milliner that you fall in love with. That doesn’t mean it’s a good hat on you." What's a "badass" doing in a womens hat shop? He sounds more like a "douche bag" to me. Mens hats are made by hatters, not milliners.

Wear a hat that looks good on you, wear it with confidence, and wear it with whatever you want.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Stitched fabric trilbies and wool hats had their place in the 1920's-1940's. Just sayin'. [huh]

Although I kinda get what's going on in this article, it seems insincere at best and quite snobbish at worst.

Edward

Bartender

There are an awful lot of folks of that ilk in the electric guitar hobby. Typically they are referred to as "cork-sniffers", and rightly ridiculed. ;)

mmmmm Possibly a bit elitist with the beaver comment.

However I did laugh out loud at the "When the national anthem of any country is being played, sung, or professionally hummed, take your hat off." comment

A hummer would be appropropriate - I sure know one or two anthems that stink. ;)

Last edited:

DeaconKC

One Too Many
I enjoyed the article, got a few chuckles out of it too. Definitely agree on removing your hat for proper occasions. But rule 1? Sorry , my workday fedora is cheap enough that if it gets torn up, it's an inconvenience, not a disaster.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A little too prescriptive; in particular, I disagree with the "buy beaver fur only" slant. If beaver was the only acceptable fur, that would close the door to very many fine hats and very many hat-wearers, especially those just getting into fedoras. There's a fine line between emphasizing "doing it right" and being elitist.
Hi Edward

Plus 1, I own a full beaver and a 50% one, they seem to wear better than the Rabbit and they wear a lot better than the wool hats in the rain. I'd say that when you work out what fedora looks and feels best on you with respect to crown height, brim width, and taper THEN buy a beaver hat in a conservative color for everyday wear.

Later

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR