Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sizing question

tomservo

New in Town
So I don't know my chest size, but found a nice 50's 3/4 length winterish jacket that is a 48" chest. I know I'm not that big, unfortunately, but in a coat like that, would it really fit that bad?

Baggers

Practically Family
Well, that depends. Assuming you don't have a sport or suit coat that fits you well and know what size it is, the best thing to do is to get someone to measure your chest. Run a tape measure around you at the widest part of your chest under the armpits and holding it there slightly loose, round up to the nearest full inch. Also try taking a breath to see what the difference is with your chest expanded.

If the difference is more than a couple of inches, the jacket might be too wide in the chest and shoulders when you're wearing it, making it "hang" funny on you. The sleeves may also be too long if that is the case. The ends of the sleeves should hit no lower than right about the first joint of your thumb when your arms are hanging naturally at your sides. They'll be too short if you can see your wrists while doing the same thing. Another factor is if you plan to wear a heavy sweater or sweatshirt under it. Jackets are usually cut bigger to take this into account, but you'll never know for certain until you try it on.

Cheers!

TopHatCat

New in Town
tomservo said:
So I don't know my chest size, but found a nice 50's 3/4 length winterish jacket that is a 48" chest. I know I'm not that big, unfortunately, but in a coat like that, would it really fit that bad?

Yep, as Baggers has said, the size of the chest will determine the other measurements as well.

I'd get the other pertinent measurements if you don't have them already (shoulder width, overall length, and sleeve length). If you're good on those 3 and you're only off by a couple inches on the chest, it's probably worth buying at a reasonable price.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
tomservo said:

Manufactures size the chest on suit/sport jackets around 4 inches larger than the stated size, so a 40 will measure 44 inches. Outerwear allows for even more room since it's usually meant to accommodate heavier clothing or even a sport jacket. I think that the shoulder measurement is as or even more important than the chest measurement. To determine what size you wear it's best to be fitted at a reputable men's store.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner