Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sky Captain hair

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
Does anyone know where I can find good reference photos of Gwyneth Paltrow's hair as Polly Perkins in Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow? I can find a few from the front, but I haven't found anything that really shows what is going on up there. When I was watching the movie I saw that they looked like they were almost rolls but not quite, but I didn't get screencaps.

Or does anyone know what was going on up there and can tell me what to do?

BV

Girl Friday

Practically Family
This was a really cool looking movie, and entertaining! Until you mentioned it I had forgotten about the hair, I am pretty sure it is a wig, but it does look fantastic!

21.jpg

image_889772.jpg

_40105840_skycaptain2.jpg

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Here's a good side picture:
sky_set.jpg

To me it looks like the sides are loosely pulled back (with a slight twist, but not a true roll) and secured with combs. Similar to this style, but with the side section slightly twisted before being secured:
wilde27.jpg

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
Awesome, thanks guys! (I need to rent that movie again and get some screencaps.) I remember there's like one shot that comes from over her head and I just jumped out of my seat and shouted "HAIR!"

You're probably right about it being a wig, but I think it's fabulous on her. ^_^

And I just learned something about where to go for style advice. ^_^ I asked over on a movie-costuming board I frequent, and so far everyone is saying I need finger waves and glue-in hair extensions. ... :eusa_doh:

Thanks again!
BV

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
jitterbugdoll said:
sky_set.jpg

To me it looks like the sides are loosely pulled back (with a slight twist, but not a true roll) and secured with combs. Similar to this style, but with the side section slightly twisted before being secured:

that's a great shot ... I'll take it to my stylist and see if she "gets it."

Do you have recommendations for how to go about it? I'd like the smoothness of Paltrow's look (the texture seems a little modern to me, but I like it). Do you think hot rollers or a curling iron would get that? (If someone else were wielding the iron?) I find my hair responds well to heat for un-frizzing, and it holds a curl very well.

maybe I'll play with it tonight. ^_^

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
jitterbugdoll said:
Nah, that's just a loose roller set--nothing too difficult to reproduce at all :)

Thanks! Heh ... yeah. I'm confining my hair advice requests to the FL from now on. I was sort of like "What?? Finger wave? Gluing *what* to my head? OK... you guys are on crack. I'll come back when I need giant Sephiroth bangs."

Excellent. ^_^ I'll try it out tonight and see how it turns out. Do you think the dip on the left side of her head will be difficult? (her left, right of the screen.) Right to the left of the part it all goes up, then it all comes down towards her eye, then it all goes up again ... that kind of uniformity totally baffles my hair. I guess I'll just have to mess with it and see.

BV

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
You are too funny lol

Excellent. ^_^ I'll try it out tonight and see how it turns out. Do you think the dip on the left side of her head will be difficult? (her left, right of the screen.) Right to the left of the part it all goes up, then it all comes down towards her eye, then it all goes up again ... that kind of uniformity totally baffles my hair. I guess I'll just have to mess with it and see.

I'd set it with curlers (I always prefer Hot Sticks; on hair that length you won’t get an ultra tight “Shirley Temple” curl) rolled under and towards the face (2-3 for the front section on the side with the most hair.) I think the easiest way to achieve this particular look would be to brush the curls out vigorously to create subtle waves, and then gather the hair back smoothly, pushing it forward to create that loosely waved front portion, and securing it with a comb. When I first became interested in vintage style and hadn't yet learned how to roll my hair, I used to do this style a lot. I always received a lot of compliments on it :)

Kim_B

Practically Family
This is how I do my hair - I don't have the patience to do the reverse rolls - I can never get them to look right and they always look like I have growths on the sides of my head!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
This is how I do my hair - I don't have the patience to do the reverse rolls - I can never get them to look right and they always look like I have growths on the sides of my head!

Oh, your hair looks lovely the way it is, Kim :)
If I were rolling your hair, I would keep the rolls small and tight anyway, as the very smooth/close style you are wearing in your photo is perfect for you.

Kim_B

Practically Family
Thank you, JBD! I always worry about how my hair looks - I think it's one of the most important aspects of creating the vintage look!

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
Your hair is lovely, Kim_B! I hope mine turns out as well.

(ooohh!! Now I get to get barrettes!! ^_^)

Another stupid question: How do I stick the combs in? If I just stick it in, won't it fall out? Do I have to turn it or anything?

Kim_B

Practically Family
a few posts down the page of this thread,

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=14683&page=3

fortworthgal mentions some combs she bought that she uses for a similar style...might be worth looking into! On my hair, I am able to use barrettes because my hair is super thick (most combs don't hold at all...I haven't tried these yet; they were all sold out at Ulta!) and I get them in a color that blends in with my hair. I think it all depends on what you're comfortable with and what your hair can hold.

crwritt

One Too Many
BettyValentine said:
Your hair is lovely, Kim_B! I hope mine turns out as well.

(ooohh!! Now I get to get barrettes!! ^_^)

Another stupid question: How do I stick the combs in? If I just stick it in, won't it fall out? Do I have to turn it or anything?

Holding the wave in place with one hand, slide the comb into the hair, close to the scalp, towards your face. I use the looped wire combs.
http://www.goodhairdays.com/metal-comb-files/322_Silver_A_Lighter.JPG

Hold the comb firmly as you slide a long bobby pin through the tines crosswise. A bit of hairspray on the comb and the pin before you put them in, then a bit more afterwards will make it hold very well.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I slide them in a bit differently; rather then straight in I comb that hair upward (using the comb) with the comb placed so that the curved part (the part that should fit the curve of your head) is facing upward rather then down and flat to the head. When in place, I rotate the comb downward and then push it in/down slightly to grab the hair. I don't need to use bobby pins to hold it in, as the twisting motion helps lock it in place (my mother, the queen of French twists, taught me this trick.)

pigeon toe

One Too Many
BettyValentine said:

BV

I actually just did that with my hair by accident! I have bangs that are down to my eyebrows though, so I don't know how one would achieve it without bangs. Basically I was curling my bangs under with a curling iron for the sort of bumper bangs look that I haven't done in ages. Ended up not liking it, so I brushed them upward and to the side (to get my hair parted again) with a round brush, and voila, they just fell into the shape Gwenyth's hair is in. It's not nearly as perfect, but with a little finesse it'll be right.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jitterbugdoll said:
wilde27.jpg
What a perfect picture!

JitterbugDoll, I would fly to Arizona tomorrow if it meant I could have my hair done by you! It always looks so perfect, and you have so much versatility with your styles. I'm so regretting cutting my hair. It's still got some length, about to the shoulders. I put in long layers, in the hopes that it would give a little more style when I do my hair in pincurls. It's a little better, but not even the best haircut can help me if I don't have the ability to style my hair. No matter how much time I take, and concentration, when I can't seem to style it right after I take the curlers or pins out. At least I've finally figured out a way to get the perfect curl in my hair. But, it does me no good if I can't style it.
I tend to do victory rolls a lot. The ones in my avatar were only the second time I had done them. I'm a lot better at it now, but still have a long way to go. Vintage hairstyling can be incredibly frustrating:( Sometimes I just say heck, I'm gonna buy myself a few really nice wigs:)
I used to have very thick hair. When I was younger it had a lot of natural curl to it. My mom used to tell me how jealous she was that I had it. I, of course hated it. I always wanted to wear it straight, so I would spend hours with a flat iron. At the time, I didn't know what i had. Now I'm on a medication that makes my hair fall out. Lucky for me, it's not all gone. But, I probably have less than half of what I had when I was a teen. To make it look thicker I don't wear it long. The layers actually help with this too. I've been using Nioxin to promote hair growth, and it actually works. The only bad part is I have all of these short little hairs that stick straight up no matter how much goo I use to try and hold them down. But, at least I have new growth. Unfortunately, I'll be on this medication forever, so my hair will always be thinning.
OK! Anyway, I've always loved your hair. You really are talented when it comes to all things vintage. If you are going to attend The Queen Mary event this year you should talk to MK about giving a class. I'm sure a lot of the ladies here would attend, and be extremely grateful:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff