Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Smell of different types of hide

lapa

Familiar Face
Hi,

I have Eastman A-2 jackets in steerhide and horsehide, B-3 and other jackets in goatskin. I find there is a smell with both horsehide and steerhide (stronger with horsehide) and none with goatskin.

Fortunately I love the smell, but am still interested where it comes from, the hide itself or the manufacturing process. Looking for inputs from experts...

Last edited:

Dav

One Too Many
I'm no expert but I think its to do with the tanning, both my steer and horse Aeros seem to smell the same whereas my Schott jacket smells totally different. I'm assuming the Schott is vegetable tanned(not sure) and the Aeros are chrome tanned. I must say the Schott was a more pleasant aroma when new than the Aeros.

JanSolo

Practically Family
Aero's goatskin is veg tanned and spray finished. Upon arrival any of my goatskin Aeros smelled a bit like a goat. Honestly!! Of course there is also a strong scent of bark extracts from the veg tanning but you can really smell that it's goat.
Apart from that I agree with what Dav said. The scent/smell of leather is mainly determined by the way it is tanned and processed. Aero's FQHH is hot stuffed after it's been tanned and I suppose that a lot of its smell comes from the waxes and oils that have been forced into the leather.
I've had a Cockpit G1 for try-on purposes a couple of months ago and its rather flimsy chrome tanned goatskin had no smell at all. The whole jacket felt like an assembly line product.

andy richards

Practically Family
Thanks for bringing this subject up. It is correct that goatskin doesn't smell. My police jacket, which is also goatskin, did not smell at all even when fresh from the maker. The company who made it, Trio Leder in Maarssen, Holland, kept all their hides in the house. When I came there to have my measurments taken of my jacket, about 15 years ago, I wondered why there was not the distinguished leather smell. (I expected an overwhelming leather odeur...). The owner explained that it was all about the tanning proces. Here my police jacket:

IMG00062.jpg

lapa

Familiar Face
Andy, your police jacket is a beauty.

I thinking it's right the smell comes from the tanning or finish because my Eastman jackets in steerhide and horsehide and sheepskin all smell the same and only differ in strength.

andy richards

Practically Family
Andy, your police jacket is a beauty.

I thinking it's right the smell comes from the tanning or finish because my Eastman jackets in steerhide and horsehide and sheepskin all smell the same and only differ in strength.

Thanks for the compliments, lapa.
Happy new year to you as well.
Andy

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Goat stinks!

Actually its strange that you guys say goat doesn't smell. Amongst leather workers (and in my experience) goat has the strongest smell going.v:)

kojax

Practically Family
when i got my a2 real mccoy horsehide jacket the leather did not smell i wonder why. my brother got a new harley leather the jacket smells

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails