Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Smokers Table.....?

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I was wondering if any of the Connoisseur's here can help me out here? I have what I think is called a Smokers Table. It belonged to my Great,Great Grand Father....it doesn't have the original ashtrays in it, these were picked up at a garage sale and I believe a piece is missing from the top as you can see from the pics. I don't know if this decal is original or not either, this is why I'm posting here.

Another thing I'd like to know is perhaps how old it might be, also is it worth any value. I'd never get rid of it, but I always wondered if it was worth anything? :rolleyes:

SmokersTable1.jpg

here's the decal up close......

SmokersTable2.jpg

SmokersTable3.jpg

SmokersTable4.jpg

You can't really tell but, the side ashtrays are not touching the floor....they're actually suspended about 2" or so off the floor.

SmokersTable5.jpg

SmokersTable6.jpg

Thanks for looking.....anxiously waiting any replies. :rolleyes:

DblCoronaMS

One of the Regulars
Stunning!

My guess is that the indentation on the top is for a large ashtray suitable for a pipe or cigar smoker, perhaps even with a cork knob glued to the center for knocking the ash from the pipe.

KilroyCD

One Too Many
My experience with smoking stands and the like is that they can be somewhat valuable. I frequent antiques auctions, and I think you have a desirable piece there. The indentation in the center piece is likely for another ashtray, or maybe a glass humidor for pipe tobacco (much like on my pipe rack). I think it more likely that it's for another ashtray, as the stands holding the other ashtrays can be removed to sit next to other chairs (in the event of visitors). I do find it odd that they don't touch the ground when attached to the main stand. My thought there is that they might have been added later, and the person mounting the brackets didn't quite measure properly (something I'm quite adept at as well).

bolthead

KilroyCD said:
My experience with smoking stands and the like is that they can be somewhat valuable. I frequent antiques auctions, and I think you have a desirable piece there. The indentation in the center piece is likely for another ashtray, or maybe a glass humidor for pipe tobacco (much like on my pipe rack). I think it more likely that it's for another ashtray, as the stands holding the other ashtrays can be removed to sit next to other chairs (in the event of visitors). I do find it odd that they don't touch the ground when attached to the main stand. My thought there is that they might have been added later, and the person mounting the brackets didn't quite measure properly (something I'm quite adept at as well).
Kilroy, it depends where they are clipped to the stand. The way they are clipped right now, between those 2 little turned knobs, they hang suspended from the floor.....but if you clip them above those turned knobs, they lay flush to the floor. I just assumed that they get clipped in between those turned knobs. [huh]

I posted this in "The Display Case" as well hoping that I might get some feedback there, but it seems to have magically disappeared? lol

Vintage Betty

<<Disclaimer: I'm no furniture expert; but you PM'd me...>>

This looks to me like a standard 1920's mail-order smoker's table. Here's why I think so:

-The applied ship looks like a circa 1920's art, typical of the pre-deco period to add touches like this
-The base of the smoker's table appears to be a side table construction OR with the addition of the indented top, can be modified into a smoker's table.
-I'm guessing that this company made a variety of items from the same product line. For an additional cost, or to bring in new revenue, they added the two side compenents which were added with brass fittings after the customer placed an order. Removing these two side fittings (and spindels) would result in a standard telephone table or standing table of the period.
-The turnings on the legs are mass-produced.

Any markings? Any chance of close up photos of the brass fittings and screws?

I have to go for a looksee into a 1920's catalog tonight anyway for a shoe question, so I can easily turn the page and see if anything like this is in there.

Also, you are going to have more luck in searching for information if you look up smoker's cabinet vs. smoker's table.

I tend to price antiques low, but my pricing is $200-$300+ for insurance purposes. By the way, very nice finish on this piece. You might want to take some wood cleaner and clean off those spots off the laquer before they settle in. Watch the are around the water-based sticker though; if you get an oil-based cleaner on it,, you could ruin that cute ship.

Vintage Betty

Bill Taylor

One of the Regulars
The smoking cabinet looks 1920's to me also. The indentation in the center top may have been for a chrystal or glass whisky decanter, if not for an ashtray. I have a smoking cabinet much smaller than yours. It was purchased by my mother in 1927 from W and J Sloane. It appears these smoking cabinets were very popular during the 20's.

My smoking cabinet is in the "colonial Revival" style with single pedestal, three splayed legs, very plain, no carving. You raise the top and there is a built in coaster for a glass, a metal holder for a package of cigarettes (only Camel or Lucky will fit) and a metal holder for a small box of wooden matches.

Wooden matches should always be used; those cigarette lighters are bad for you! :)

Bill

KilroyCD

One Too Many
bolthead said:
Kilroy, it depends where they are clipped to the stand. The way they are clipped right now, between those 2 little turned knobs, they hang suspended from the floor.....but if you clip them above those turned knobs, they lay flush to the floor. I just assumed that they get clipped in between those turned knobs. [huh]
It looks to me like that should be the natural place to clip those stands, as the diameter is smaller and there is no taper at that point.
I agree with Vintage Betty regarding the age and value. If I had this piece in my booth at the antiques shop, I'd probably be asking around $250.

bolthead

Bill Taylor said:
The smoking cabinet looks 1920's to me also. The indentation in the center top may have been for a chrystal or glass whisky decanter, if not for an ashtray. I have a smoking cabinet much smaller than yours. It was purchased by my mother in 1927 from W and J Sloane. It appears these smoking cabinets were very popular during the 20's.

My smoking cabinet is in the "colonial Revival" style with single pedestal, three splayed legs, very plain, no carving. You raise the top and there is a built in coaster for a glass, a metal holder for a package of cigarettes (only Camel or Lucky will fit) and a metal holder for a small box of wooden matches.

Wooden matches should always be used; those cigarette lighters are bad for you! :)

Bill
Yes, if you look closely on top you can see a screw hole there. There used to be a brass matchbook holder. I wish I knew what happened to it. :(

KilroyCD

One Too Many
bolthead said:
panamag8or said:
The first thing I would do is go find an antique cigar jar for the top. That would be slick.
That's a cool idea, what does it look like? You have a pic?
I have one at the antiques shop, an all-brass one. I don't have any pics of it though. However, I feel a glass one would look best on that piece.

bolthead

You might want to take some wood cleaner and clean off those spots off the laquer before they settle in. Watch the are around the water-based sticker though; if you get an oil-based cleaner on it,, you could ruin that cute ship.

Vintage Betty

What would you suggest I use to clean it up with then? :rolleyes:

Vintage Betty

bolthead said:
You might want to take some wood cleaner and clean off those spots off the laquer before they settle in. Watch the are around the water-based sticker though; if you get an oil-based cleaner on it,, you could ruin that cute ship.

Vintage Betty

What would you suggest I use to clean it up with then? :rolleyes:

I'd like one of the professional antique dealers to answer this instead of me, as my answer could be incorrect. Anyone?

Vintage Betty

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran