Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Smoking a cigarette like a cigar - no inhaling?

Levallois

Practically Family
This is a weird question, I admit, but I bought some English Oval (filterless) cigarettes to put in my cigarette case for period-looking photos. I keep them in the pipe tobacco humidor so they won't dry out. Anyway, I was bored last night, didn't feel like a pipe, and was out of cigars so I fired one up to see what they tasted like (without inhaling) and they were great - like little cigars. Is this weird or are there others who smoke cigarettes this way? Thanks!

John

Cigarband

A-List Customer
That was the way I weaned myself off cigarettes. From the day I decided to quit I forced myself to smoke without inhaling for one month. By then I could stop completely and replace two packs a day with one cigar, also not inhaled. You don't have to inhale to enjoy the flavor of good tobacco.

Big_e

Practically Family
In the movie, Road to Perdition, you see Conner Rooney smoke a cigarette like that, complete with a nice stack of ash at the tip. In the first funeral scene. I thought of trying that for the flavor but it would have to be a fancy imported cigarrette. I can think of a few machine rolled cigars I'd rather smoke than the cigarettes available locally.
Ernest

Levallois

Practically Family
Well, I had another English Oval seasoned in the humidor and, again, it was really tasty. I feel a little weird smoking cigarettes this way as if I am "play acting" like a first time smoker out behind the shed with dad's Camels. However, sometimes I feel like a smoke and don't have a half-hour plus to spare for a cigar or pipe and this seems to fit the bill. Thanks for the replies.

John

Louise Anne

Suspended
Levallois said:
This is a weird question, I admit, but I bought some English Oval (filterless) cigarettes to put in my cigarette case for period-looking photos. I keep them in the pipe tobacco humidor so they won't dry out. Anyway, I was bored last night, didn't feel like a pipe, and was out of cigars so I fired one up to see what they tasted like (without inhaling) and they were great - like little cigars. Is this weird or are there others who smoke cigarettes this way? Thanks!

John

If you are normally a non smoker and need to look like you are a smoker for a play, film or for a photoshoot etc then that maybe the they way for them to do it, sometimes I think you can tell they a none smoker.
occationally you here a person saying that they have just one a year i.e a Xmas cigar or cigarette I would imagine they also would not inhale.
I not sure if there are any film star on here maybe some one else will correct me if I wrong.

R.A. Stewart

Familiar Face
I sometimes smoked cigarettes in college--kind of an eclectic mix; I can remember English Ovals, Players, Bogatyri papirosy (the caption on that Web page says "from good tobacco" by the way, to which I say Ha!, and again Ha!), Gauloises, Gitanes, and hand-rolled Bull Durhams. What a pretentious twit I was. :rolleyes: But I never inhaled them; that just never held any appeal. Saved me from getting hooked, I guess.

~Rich

Paul said:
If you are normally a non smoker and need to look like you are a smoker for a play, film or for a photoshoot etc then that maybe the they way for them to do it, sometimes I think you can tell they a none smoker.
As a long-time cigarette smoker, believe me, we can definitely tell when a non-smoker is acting like a smoker for a film or television role.

R.A. Stewart said:
I sometimes smoked cigarettes in college...But I never inhaled them; that just never held any appeal. Saved me from getting hooked, I guess.
I would say this is a good guess. My wife and I have discussed this on the rare occasions we have each stopped smoking for a time, and realized neither of us smoke for the taste--we smoke for the feeling of the smoke being inhaled into our lungs, which, for you non-smokers, feels very different from simply inhaling air.

As a smoker, I have two words for you non-smokers: don't start. If you're a former smoker who stopped and has been able to make it stick, I commend you.

LukasWallace

New in Town
I have to agree with Zombie on all counts.

As for the part about starting smoking, I've had a good number of friends who started against my warnings, part of me wishes they hadn't... but then another part of me welcomes the company when I go out for a cigarette.

I guess though if you're just smoking for the taste though there's no harm in not inhaling. You might catch a few jabs from the average smoker, but who cares... I'm actually the other way, I've been known to inhale cigar smoke... now days I don't smoke cigars very often and have cut back on cigarettes as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran