Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Smoking and hospitals

Ravenor Bullen

New in Town
I recently had the melancholy duty of visiting a dear friend in hospital in our town of Surabaya. He had contracted dengue fever but was on the path to recovery when I visited him.

The ward in which he had been placed was quite full of cases of the myriad diseases of the Tropics – malaria, typhoid, typhus, trench foot, etc. Most of the patients looked comfortable enough and a few were sleeping when I arrived.

My friend was in a corner near to an open French window which gave out onto the hospital’s splendid central lawn. The Darmo Hospital of Surabaya was built in 1919 by the distinguished Dutch architect Ir. Citroen and was an admirable piece of colonial Dutch architecture.

He was in quite good spirits and his weeks of fever had subsided over the last few days. He was pleased to see me for a chat and I brought him some grapes, and several packets of his favourite cigarettes.

Clamoring for a taste of normality, he immediately broke open a packet and proceeded to smoke one. Preferring my pipe I filled a bowl and before we knew it we were ensconced in a discussion of daily affairs and gossip and were having a gay time.

About ten minutes into our chinwag a rather haughty matron came into the ward and barked at us. She told us that smoking was not permitted in the ward and would we put out our offending smokes.

My friend replied, in a respectful way, that he had always been permitted to smoke on previous stays at the hospital. The matron retorted that a new rule had been passed by a city ordinance since the beginning of the year and that smoking was no longer permitted in the wards.

I must say my friend and I were quite flabbergasted. The very time that a visitor might arrive for a friendly catch-up with a patient and a desire to create some sense of well-being and normality, and one was not permitted to smoke! My patient friend pointed out in friendly terms that neither he nor any of the patients in this ward were in here for TB or bronchial complaints, that none of the other patients had complained, and what harm on Earth could come from a friendly smoke? She apologized for the ruling but did point out that if my friend wished to be wheeled out to the terrace we could continue to smoke there. Well, he did wish it, and it was duly done after a nurse was summoned.

We sat out there for quite a time and it wasn’t at all unpleasant, but what if the much hoped fall rains of the Wet Season were already upon us? What then would we have done?

We both fulminated for a while over the silly rules that governments pass these days.

warna29.jpg

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Ravenor Bullen said:
She told us that smoking was not permitted in the ward.......a new rule had been passed by a city ordinance since the beginning of the year and that smoking was no longer permitted in the wards.
That's old news here in the States; been at least 20 years.

Geesie

Practically Family
I can't imagine why smoking would be banned in a place full of people with injuries and compromised immune systems.
And no option to leave.
:rolleyes:

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
When I was a kid (60s) smoking was allowed in most hospital rooms unless oxygen was being administered, in which case signs were posted and ashtrays removed. Additionally, it was not unusual for my family physician to smoke while making his rounds or when seeing patients in his office. Those were the days, my friend....

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Carlisle Blues said:
And what exactly were you fumigating???

Maybe they were fuming while ruminating. Wouldn't that be "fuminating"?

In defense of the haughty, barking matron, she doesn't make the rules, and if she had allowed an exception, she might have gotten herself in trouble.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think Mr. Bullen means confumbled

As in: "Well I am really confumbled because those poor sick people are now protected by law against anything that may exacerbate their malady."

smoking.jpg

davestlouis

Practically Family
An uncle of mine was a chain-smoker, and wound up in the hospital for some awful malady. He was hooked to monitors and whatnot, but he decided he couldn't live another minute without a smoke, so he unplugged himself and headed for the nearest exist, where he was blissfully smoking away...unaware that by disconnecting himself, he had set off a CODE BLUE alarm, they thought he had died, and came running with the defib cart and other equipment, only to find that he wasn't even in the room. He got a stern talking to...he is now dead, but it had nothing directly to do with smoking 3 packs a day for 60 years.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
When I was in the hospital in Canada five years ago, patients were allowed to go out and stand on the portico out front and smoke. You'd see people with IV bottles on those wheeled stands out there puffing frantically away in the rain.

When my grandfather was dying of emphesema in 1980 he begged us to smuggle his pipe in for him, and figuring there wasn't anything left to lose, we did. It's pretty hard to disguise the smell of Half and Half, though, and the nurse confiscated it.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Why so surprised?

I don't see why the big surprise.People who smoke are worst than criminals and all should be shot at dawn! :rolleyes:

Didn't you know that Ravenor Bullen?

Sometimes i feel like this ..... Talk about 1920s Prohibition...:mad:
rhan578l.jpg

Foofoogal

Banned
My FIL eventually did die of emphysema but before he did he actually died several times.
He would be hooked up to life support to breathe for him and one time even had a trach hooked up to life support machine in his home.
He smoked 2 packs a day of Pall Mall without the filter. No kidding but one time when he died and they brought him back his desire to smoke had totally died with him and when he woke back up he never wanted a cigarette again. :eek:
For that reason and seeing how a machine gave him at least 3 more years of life I will definitely want life support machines if ever in that position. (God willing I will not be though)

Chas

One Too Many
Smoking in a hospital is also wrong because it's damned dangerous. Try smoking around an oxygen tank sometime and you will see what I mean.

Or perhaps you won't....boom!

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Carlisle Blues said:
I think Mr. Bullen means confumbled

As in: "Well I am really confumbled because those poor sick people are now protected by law against anything that may exacerbate their malady."

How about discombuttinated: in a tizzy because one cannot avail oneself of cigarettes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn