Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Smoking and hospitals

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
LizzieMaine said:
When I was in the hospital in Canada five years ago, patients were allowed to go out and stand on the portico out front and smoke. You'd see people with IV bottles on those wheeled stands out there puffing frantically away in the rain.

I've heard of people smoking through a hole in their throat.

One reason I wouldn't want to smoke is that I'd hate to feel such a compulsion.

Foofoogal

Banned
I do feel for those hooked on those nasty sticks though. I used to smoke 2 packs a day and quit cold turkey. I personally believe it is the only way. I had found out I was pregnant so it was a no brainer for me.

High Pockets

Practically Family
Oxygen is non-flammable,.......it's nothing more than an oxidizer.

One of the requirements for combustion is Oxygen,....and the more of it there is.....the more efficient the combustion.

Almost one fourth of the air you're breathing while reading this stupid post is pure O2.

LizzieMaine said:
When I was in the hospital in Canada five years ago, patients were allowed to go out and stand on the portico out front and smoke. You'd see people with IV bottles on those wheeled stands out there puffing frantically away in the rain.

When my grandfather was dying of emphesema in 1980 he begged us to smuggle his pipe in for him, and figuring there wasn't anything left to lose, we did. It's pretty hard to disguise the smell of Half and Half, though, and the nurse confiscated it.

And a great old gal I knew, my brother's mother-in-law, died about a dozen years ago, at a fairly (but not unusually) advanced age, of complications of lung cancer and a coupla-three strokes and heart "events" she suffered through as she approached the end. This was after having a couple of other cancers starting decades before all of that.

She had been an avid smoker and drinker, which almost undoubtedly contributed to her health problems. We all wish she had taken better care of herself, but depriving her of her vices as she neared her demise would have been all but pointless, and even a bit mean. More than a bit, maybe.

Still, exposure to tobacco smoke has negative health effects on people other than the smoker. I didn't want to believe this, back when I was a smoker, but there's no rational way to deny it. I quit smoking (and drinking, alas) when I could no longer deny it was killing me. (It wasn't, and isn't, pretty.) I just wish I hadn't thought myself somehow exempt from the laws of nature for as long as I did.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
High Pockets said:

One of the requirements for combustion is Oxygen,....and the more of it there is.....the more efficient the combustion.

Almost one fourth of the air you're breathing while reading this stupid post is pure O2.

Oh really???

844700_ddb9_625x1000.jpg

High Pockets

Practically Family
tonyb said:
And great old gal I knew, my brother's mother-in-law, died about a dozen years ago, at a fairly (but not unusually) advanced age, of complications of lung cancer and a coupla-three strokes and heart "events" she suffered through as she approached the end. This was after having a couple of other cancers starting decades before all of that.

She had been an avid smoker and drinker, which almost undoubtedly contributed to her health problems. We all wish she had taken better care of herself, but depriving her of her vices as she neared her demise would have been all but pointless, and even a bit mean. More than a bit, maybe.

Still, exposure to tobacco smoke has negative health effects on people other than the smoker. I didn't want to believe this, back when I was a smoker, but there's no rational way to deny it. I quit smoking (and drinking, alas) when I could no longer deny it was killing me. (It wasn't, and isn't, pretty.) I just wish I hadn't thought myself somehow exempt from the laws of nature for as long as I did.

:) Enjoyed your post,....and I would imagine you are one of many here, including myself, who are now paying a heavy price for our youthful and naïve; "I'm ten feet tall and bulletproof!" attitude.

Geesie

Practically Family
High Pockets said:

Yes, and with oxygen masks in use everything becomes significantly easier to burn. Run pure oxygen around it and bacon will burn through steel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace