Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Smoking in the house???

Subvet642

A-List Customer
I own my own place, so I smoke inside. The wife, oddly [huh] , likes the smell of cigarettes. The only thing she insists upon is that I use a cigarette box, she doesn't like to have cigarette packs laying around, so I got a one with a matching lighter. In other words, if I'm going to smoke, it might as well be decorative.

Mr. Paladin said:
I only smoke cigars outdoors, though I have been thinking about an exhaust fan for the library...

I have been thinking about an exhaust fan as well for my summer house. I wonder what type would be condusive without exhausting all the heat as well. The Broan in the bathroom is so powerful that it can get cold in there when I shower so that is probably out. :rolleyes:
Let me know what you decide on. I might get around to doing it myself as well.
In summer I am fine with the lounge chair under the orange tree.:D

DBLIII

One of the Regulars
Outside or in the garage (which has no motor vehicles or gasoline in it) with a door open a bit. I smoke cigarettes and really enjoy them, but I don't like the smell after a couple of days. Cigars I do like and we smoke cigars inside once in a great while.
But, the biggest reason for no smoke inside is we have an Amazon Parrot and a Conure, and I've heard that tobacco smoke can irritate birds. I kind of like the big Parrot healthy. Maybe a bit quieter! But healthy :)

CigarMan

One of the Regulars
Love my job at the shop, because we can smoke while working. As for the house, I just bought mine last year and haven't brought myself to smoke inside yet. We've got a nice patio out back with beautiful landscaping so I've enjoyed most of my smokes outdoors.

Ravenor Bullen

New in Town
Smoking in the Home

A lamentable social development in recent years has been the reluctance of many to allow pipe smoking in the home. Gone are the days when cigarettes were laid out for guests to take. I still keep up this thoughtful custom and always offer the men cigars at the end of the meal when the ladies have retired elsewhere.

I am thinking of the refusal to allow smoking in other people's homes, of course - should one be silly enough to allow a prohibition in one's home, enforced by an intolerant wife, perhaps, - than I can see no better solution than to do oneself in out of shame. I am incredulous when I hear that a man would allow himself to be forced out of his OWN house into the garden on a freezing cold night, because his wife has mysteriously "acquired" an allergy to pipe smoke, which she kept quiet about before the wedding. Allergies, in my view, are mostly poppycock anyway.

No, I am referring here to the trend of not permitting pipe smoking when one is invited out. The conversation often runs like this:

Guest: "Would you mind very much if I smoked my pipe?" Hostess: "Oh, I am sorry, but Gerald and I don't allow smoking in the house; the children you know. Bobby gets terrible asthma if someone has been smoking in the house. You are more than welcome to smoke in the garden, but just take care of the ice on the terrace. It can be awfully slippery."

Or it might go like this:

Guest: "Would you mind awfully if I smoked my pipe?"
Hostess: "Oh, it's such a long time since anyone smoked in this house. Not since dear Clive died of emphysema, I think it was. I threw out all the ashtrays then. I may have one down in the shed somewhere, under all his old things. I could go down and look."
Guest: "Oh, never mind then. It really doesn't matter."

There are some hostesses who are rather more blunt, of course, but they are probably terribly common and I am not concerned with them here.

Should your polite request to smoke be turned down, I suggest that you make a discrete note not to accept invitations from them again. Who would exchange a night at home with one's pipe to a night in an
unfriendly house with no pipe?

When it comes to reciprocating the invitation of these types of people, it is worth saying on the telephone to them, "I hope you won't mind me mentioning it, but our house is a smoking house. If our guests would like to smoke, we don't mind at all. We want them to be relaxed and to enjoy themselves." This allows them to make a choice about coming or not. It may shame them a little too. After all, when one invites people to one's house, it should be for one's guests' pleasure, their
enjoyment, not for any selfish pleasure. If one's guests normally smoke, how much will they enjoy themselves if they are told that they can't?

I have a little sign which I had made up and which I put out on the hall table, which guests will see as one takes their hat and coats at the door. It reads, "Please feel free to smoke here."

Thwack

Familiar Face
[huh] If people do not want smoke in their home that is their prerogative. A polite refusal of your request should not be returned with an impolite gesture. It is, after all, them that will continue to live with your smoke long after you have retired to your own home.

CherryKrissy

Familiar Face
I agree with Thwack's post. I am a smoker, and I would never, never even dream of smoking in somebody's house if they did not. I would not even ask. As a general rule, if I don't see an ashtray, or my host smoking, I do not lit up.

It's hardly rude to have rules/preferences for ones own household.

No smoking allowed at Mrs. Dean's place. Her ex-step-father smoked all during her early years & she abhored it. I smoke cigars at the golf course, hunt camp, fishing, etc. If I want one at home it is out on the plentiful front or back porches where guests are allowed to smoke as well.

In the past, what I would do is open a window in the room we were in and put a box fan on medium or high in it blowing out. Then open a window in another room and put a box fan in it blowing into the house. The cross ventilation drew out the smoke and left the house fresher. No stale smoke smell in the rooms or the fabrics.

Of course the weather can't be too cold or too hot, that's why I prefer to be out on the patio, or I'd like to turn the garage into a "Man Cave" at some point.

Kermez

A-List Customer
John in Covina said:
In the past, what I would do is open a window in the room we were in and put a box fan on medium or high in it blowing out.

I have a little (but strong) metal fan I have for just this purpose. I open a window and put it on the ledge (it fits just perfectly) blowing out. Fine tobacco enjoyment in my study! :D

Kermez

A-List Customer
Well, as (I think) I've said here before, in our house, I only smoke in my study, cigars and pipes only. This goes for guests, as well.

As you could probably have already guessed, I spend tons of time in here, anyways, so it's certainly not like I'm being banished somewheres, like a garage, basement, or outdoors. (Oh, lordy, lordy, no! Please don't throw me into that there briar patch! :D )

I don't smoke cigarrettes, but we have relatives and friends who do - to the (covered) back porch with YOU! *yucky*

:eek:fftopic:
My wife hates smoking of any kind. I started smoking cigars occasionally in '87 (end of high school). It was so infrequent, she didn't even know I did it until after we were married ('91). I started in earnest with frequency around '93. She was not pleased, but has grown accustomed to it (begrudgingly, at best). She would have no problem whatsoever were I to give up the pleasure, but most days just don't feel... completed unless I end them with an after-dinner cigar.

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
If my bride goes off to see her sis in Chicago or pop in Anchorage I put a fan about the size of one of those used in wind tunnels in the window followed by a few hours of a " Lord Byron's Smokers Candle". Otherwise it's front or back porch for me and my habit. The restriction helps me control my smoking and remember for every box not smoked you can afford a new hat.

LRSdog

New in Town
Pipes inside are the norm. I usually take the cigars outside. In fact, a year-round part of the porch of my little cottage is the glow of a pipe or cigar in the evening. And if the single malt is flowing, well into the night . . .

LRSdog said:
Pipes inside are the norm. I usually take the cigars outside. In fact, a year-round part of the porch of my little cottage is the glow of a pipe or cigar in the evening. And if the single malt is flowing, well into the night . . .

Sounds like my kind of evening. :cool2:
211.gif

204.gif

smiley.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy