Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Snobbery in the Lounge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

surely

A-List Customer
The fedora lounge gets rave reviews from around the world for its polite informative style and the way troublesome behaviors are resolved. One such behavior I have not seen discussed is snobbery.

This is directed primarily to the guys where I've seen this issue recently raised. (By no means do I mean to imply that youse dolls are innocent.:rolleyes: )

As long as we don't agree on definitions the conversation will easily get wonky. So let's start with these:

Snob:2: one who blatantly imitates, fawningly admires, or vulgarly seeks association with those regarded as social superiors
........3 a: one who tends to rebuff, avoid, or ignore those regarded as inferior
.......... b: one who has an offensive air of superiority in matters of knowledge or taste.​

Snotty: Slang A person regarded as annoying, arrogant, or impertinent

So, are there behaviors like this on the lounge? If so. how should they be dealt with?
.................. Or is the lounge an association of snobs?:cool:

This was a fun and useful site: http://humanityquest.com/topic/Index.asp?theme1=snobbery
The portal is now open; let the thoughts flow thru.

Feraud

Bartender
And well it should. :)

Just like we need not discuss a tired, grouchy, hungry, or overtalkative Lounger, we need not point fingers and nit pick aspects of people's personalities.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Oh, I don't know. I do think we're sometimes guilty of it, and I don't think it hurts to look in the mirror and cop to a small but unattractive sin. When I was a real newby here, a whole year ago, I sometimes found myself "me too-ing" about opinions as if I really knew what I was talking about, but had to admit I didn't. I think there is a certain percentage of members here who find some sort of compensation factor for feelings of inadequacy. A little bit of grandiosity can be a great ego boost. As we get more secure among this peer group, maybe we can let go of some of that, and become more mature individuals.
So let's try to be honest with ourselves, and not over react to the suggestion.

surely

A-List Customer
Matt Deckard said:
We are not amused!
Who are "we"? the royal we?
Does "not amused" mean angry?

Just like we need not discuss a tired, grouchy, hungry, or overtalkative Lounger, we need not point fingers and nit pick aspects of people's personalities." Feraud quote

I hear you in regards pointing fingers and nit picking. I tried to be careful and avoid that by focusing on behaviors not personalities or motives.

What I'm trying to get at is whether there is such a "vibe" or shared attitude here that may be undesirable. As I said, I have not found that this specific issues has ever been discussed here. Is it a taboo subject? People cannot improve if the are unaware.

Feraud

Bartender
surely said:
What I'm trying to get at is whether there is such a "vibe" or shared attitude here that may be undesirable. As I said, I have not found that this specific issues has ever been discussed here. Is it a taboo subject? People cannot improve if the are unaware.

Such a vibe may exist anywhere. Who is to judge it is undesirable?
There are more productive things to discuss at the Lounge than personality issues.

As for improvement...who wants to step up into the spotlight and admit they are a flawed snob and have total strangers reform them?

Story

I'll Lock Up
pancake%20bunny.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo