Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Snobbery in the Lounge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
surely said:
Who are "we"? the royal we?
Does "not amused" mean angry?

Just like we need not discuss a tired, grouchy, hungry, or overtalkative Lounger, we need not point fingers and nit pick aspects of people's personalities." Feraud quote

I hear you in regards pointing fingers and nit picking. I tried to be careful and avoid that by focusing on behaviors not personalities or motives.

What I'm trying to get at is whether there is such a "vibe" or shared attitude here that may be undesirable. As I said, I have not found that this specific issues has ever been discussed here. Is it a taboo subject? People cannot improve if the are unaware.

Um, I don't really understnad why you are bringing it up. If you feel you are the victim of snobbery, say so and we ca respond and tell you we didn't mean to. if you feel someone is beign treated snobbily, stand up for them and be nice to them. Otherwise, why are we discussiong it.

I certainly have my attitudes about what people like, and their tastes, but i tend to keep it ot myself. My problem, really, not theirs.

rumblefish

One Too Many
Story said:
pancake%20bunny.jpg
lol lol lol lol lol
Thanks, excuse me while I clean the tea off of my monitor.

The bunny however, looks like a snob.

surely

A-List Customer
ShortClare & AllanC humor works!!!
Feraud said:
Such a vibe may exist anywhere. Who is to judge it is undesirable?
There are more productive things to discuss at the Lounge than personality issues.

As for improvement...who wants to step up into the spotlight and admit they are a flawed snob and have total strangers reform them?

Most anyone who attends a 13 step type meeting.

Feraud, we, that is each one of us individually are to judge if its undesirable or not. Look, If someone calls me a snob I first look in myself if its true. I certainly don't want to carry that baggage around. And yes I've been called a patronizing snob and I'll step into the spotlight.

But also if I find someone a snob I want them to know that's how I feel so they can respect my feelings. I don't want them, say, to be able to put people down in a public place like here and not be worried about feedback. That's like watching a bully picking on someone and not doing anything.

Dehrmann1, thanks for your well reasoned response

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
surely said:
Or is the lounge an association of snobs?:cool:

DING DING DING! Here we are, discussing the finer points of vintage dressing, etiquette, and how everyone who dresses like a regular person is way worse than we are. I mean, I can call a spade a spade, and I hope other Loungers can too. This is why we flock together. lol

surely

A-List Customer
from Soctrace's post
"You and your undershirt should go back to duct taping your fully depreciated Pontiac. Now hush." Yah, you may dress well, but don't tell me what to do.:D

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
I haven't the time for this dahhhhling, leave a message with my maid.
(throws fur over shoulder and saunters down the hall........)
Nikki

Story

I'll Lock Up
Miss Neecerie said:
Snobbery must be really "game"......or did you both buy 'er dinner first?

Perhaps it was a menage a' snob? [huh]

If so, did anyone take pictures?

airforceindy

One of the Regulars
My dear People,
Talk about a ridiculous topic for a thread. Is this supposed to draw out the folks who are allegedly 'snobby'? Or is it a guilt trip so that the rest of us humble (yet well dressed) Lounge members may rub our hands together in glee at the thought of them crying in their Corn Flakes over how they've offended one or two people? I believe we are all here for two or three simple reasons.

1) To consult and share interests in vintage fashion and lifestyle with like-minded people
2) To reminisce over the days when what is currently 'vintage fashion and lifestyle' was the latest and greatest thing since sliced bread
3) TO SHOW OFF when we've achieved our goal(s) in this hobby

Snobby - perhaps. Personally, I think it's only snobbery when a second party takes it as such. When I show a picture of my latest hat, and someone else says, "Oh, yeah, well look at MINE!", I congratulate and compliment them. I would only take offense if I weren't secure with my own possessions or achievements. That leads me to believe that it is merely the offended person's own insecurities that bring us to such a low that we have to have a conversation about 'snobbery'! Taking offense, in and of itself, is a snobby attitude!

My $0.02.
Regards, Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters