Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Snobbery in the Lounge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
GWD said:
Does this have anything to do with my Stingy Brim Post? If so I'm sorry.:(

Of course we're better than most other people. We can read AND write! And 99.9% of us can spell too! AND....AND there are some DAMN good looking people in this forum!

But enough about me.
Yeah, but I've seen a lot of "comma blunders" here!

airforceindy

One of the Regulars
dhermann1 said:
Yeah, but I've seen a lot of "comma blunders" here!

*in the most sniveling, indignant, voice*
Let me just say, for the record, that, in spite of what you, and other people, think about my typing, "comma blunders", or however you want to refer to them, are not, in any way, shape, or form, an issue for me, at all!

That wasn't too many commas, was it?

PS: Clara, I must agree with whoever said it earlier in this thread, you're quite adorable in your avatar photo!

Foofoogal

Banned
I just come to the FL to see more photos of Johanna. Who by the way doesn't seem to come to the OB much anymore.
Did the snobs run her off?
I have learned in life snobs and/or snobbery can run both ways. I personally know people who call themselves white trash proudly and are huge snobs. IMHO.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
One problem that is easy to overlook is material snobbery. Not the idea that you are a better person because of your stuff, but that your stuff is better - or even the only good stuff - because you've paid thru the nose for it, be it the rarest and most collectible or the highest grade available new. Believe you me, it can cut as badly as the personal kind of snobbery, because it can feel just as personal.

"I look down my nose at people who think they are better than other people."
—James "Kibo" Parry, internet celebrity and founder of Kibology

JazzBaby

Practically Family
When I first joined I was cautious about encountering snobbery from the 'vintage only' members, as opposed to others like me, who are mainly interested in repro but I'm happy to say I've never once noticed this happening. There's a place for every enthusiast here and I think the Loungers in general are very accepting of eachothers tastes.

Micawber

A-List Customer
scotrace said:
Don't be silly.

gielgud-color.jpg

You and your undershirt should go back to duct taping your fully depreciated Pontiac. Now hush.

Useless fact No23:
I met John Gielgud back in 1981 - Ralph Richardson around the same time too.

Now that news could kill this thread

...I seem to have the knack:rolleyes: lol

Fletch said:
One problem that is easy to overlook is material snobbery. Not the idea that you are a better person because of your stuff, but that your stuff is better - or even the only good stuff - because you've paid thru the nose for it, be it the rarest and most collectible or the highest grade available new. Believe you me, it can cut as badly as the personal kind of snobbery, because it can feel just as personal.

"I look down my nose at people who think they are better than other people."
—James "Kibo" Parry, internet celebrity and founder of Kibology

I hesitate to put forward such an idea because all it will do is decrease the number of people willing to share photos of their cool stuff without fear of feeling that they are being perceived as snobby. :eusa_doh: So that feeling works both ways. I don't post many pictures of what I have because of it.
I am sure many collectors here have the attitude that they collect purely for their own enjoyment---as do I. I am just glad that someone is sharing nice suits, hats, shoes, etc, etc when they really don't have to do so. It gives one an example and teaches the novice. This site would be like a dry textbook without pictures.

mtechthang

One of the Regulars
Tis true!!

Fletch said:
One problem that is easy to overlook is material snobbery. Not the idea that you are a better person because of your stuff, but that your stuff is better

But Fletch, what if your stuff is better'n mine? To be material snobbery- doesn't that create a Cartesian dilemma? lol lol Wouldn't that require sentient stuff[/]? Oh, stop it! That was just snobby of me!lol lol lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
John Frum