Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Snobbery in the Lounge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Story

I'll Lock Up
surely said:
hey Story, aren't you already in disseyland?:rolleyes:

Who gave you permission to address me directly?

From henceforth, talk to my people, they'll give you a block of time.

Tango Yankee said:
Ye have been convicted of Snobbery on the High Seas! ]

Rum, snobbery and the lash?

RIOT

Practically Family
The Dame said:
In the Moving Picture forum, a newbie has started a thread asking which movie you'd watch and why if tomorrow was your last day on earth. I answered the question in the spirit in which it was posed and chose Philadelphia Story. Three other FL members followed and basically declined to answer on the grounds that they'd have better things to do if tomorrow was their last day on earth and one even said it was a silly question. Silly or no, the newbie's goal was to get people to talk a little about movies they enjoy in the hopes it might spark someone's interest in catching a flick they hadn't seen before. Now that's snobbery if you ask me. A newbie doesn't need to be put down for starting a thread that is beneath more seasoned members. Frankly, if it's so far beneath them, they ought to just move on without posting unless the post is somehow offensive and violates FL etiquette - which it does not. :rage: :rage: :rage:

Alright, I have to confess, I am Elite. :rolleyes:

The Dame

One of the Regulars
Feraud said:
Same difference. [bad]

I beg to differ. Sticking up for a member by calling other members on the carpet for blatant snobbery has its place. I could have named names but I didn't. Yes, I did make it easy for anyone interested to track down the specific thread and offending members ... but I've already voiced my objections to their posts on that thread. My purpose here was to illustrate a concrete example of snobbery on the FL - which, thankfully, is a rare occurance, but nonetheless pertinent to this thread.

The Dame

One of the Regulars
RIOT said:
Alright, I have to confess, I am Elite. :rolleyes:

We all are given the right circumstance, Riot. I'm a language snob. I'm not throwing stones because I commit no sins, I just felt the new member deserved better than he got - which, I might add, you did rectify in a later post. Thank you.

surely

A-List Customer
Feraud said:
It seems snobbish to point out other snobs.

I"m not opposed to singling out, just not in this thread. No, I don't mean not to tell a story like The Dame's but if you would write in more general terms we could develop a vocabulary that should allow us to discuss snobbery dispassionately.

I was typing this while this latest exchange was taking place

Feraud

Bartender
The Dame said:
I beg to differ. Sticking up for a member by calling other members on the carpet for blatant snobbery has its place. I could have named names but I didn't. Yes, I did make it easy for anyone interested to track down the specific thread and offending members ... but I've already voiced my objections to their posts on that thread. My purpose here was to illustrate a concrete example of snobbery on the FL - which, thankfully, is a rare occurance, but nonetheless pertinent to this thread.
I would say by this reply
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showpost.php?p=549166&postcount=8
you certainly did name names and make it easy to track down members. Pressuring someone to answer the way we want them to answer is... interesting.

Defending a member when necessary is fine but "busting chops" is it's own deliciously guilt free form of snobbery.

Feraud

Bartender
surely said:
I"m not opposed to singling out, just not in this thread. No, I don't mean not to tell a story like The Dame's but if you would write in more general terms we could develop a vocabulary that should allow us to discuss snobbery dispassionately.
A dispassionate discussion on snobbery is so... snobbish. *yucky*

surely

A-List Customer
The Dame said:

Well done!

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
What famous folks say

Hypocrisy is the essence of snobbery, but all snobbery is about the problem of belonging.
Alexander Theroux

Snobbery? But it's only a form of despair.
Joseph Brodsky

Ah, beware of snobbery; it is the unwelcome recognition of one's own past failings.
Cary Grant

and I raise the question....is it snobbish and ill-mannered to point out that -others- are snobs...I do believe Miss Manners would answer in the affirmative.

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
I answered the movie question honestly and without making any personal digs at anyone. I fail to see how I was being snobbish. I barely even post messages, let alone know any of the fellow posters well enough to be a snob towards them or not. This is such a waste of time, I'm done.

The Dame

One of the Regulars
Feraud said:
I would say by this reply
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showpost.php?p=549166&postcount=8
you certainly did name names and make it easy to track down members. Pressuring someone to answer the way we want them to answer is... interesting.

Defending a member when necessary is fine but "busting chops" is it's own deliciously guilt free form of snobbery.

I wasn't pressuring so much as pointing out that he had not, IMHO, really answered the question.

As for busting chops, touche. Although I'm not sure I'd agree that it's guilt-free. ;)

surely

A-List Customer
Feraud said:
A dispassionate discussion on snobbery is so... snobbish. *yucky*

Why?

[or: it takes one to know one, nay nay ne nay nay]

Maybe we're just one group of snobs making place for ourselves amongst other groups of snobs. I think that's it, eh?

The Dame

One of the Regulars
BeBopBaby said:
I answered the movie question honestly and without making any personal digs at anyone. I fail to see how I was being snobbish. I barely even post messages, let alone know any of the fellow posters well enough to even care about being a snob or not.

I didn't claim it was personal, I claimed it was inappropriate and a good example of snobbery because you essentially refused to answer the question on the grounds that you'd have better things to do than watch a movie. As geoff_icp pointed out a little later, that wasn't the point of the thread.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
The Dame said:
... a good example of snobbery because you essentially refused to answer the question on the grounds that you'd have better things to do than watch a movie.

When asked a question to which one's answer is 'No movie'. Seems perfectly reasonable to answer the question that way, with no bearing on the 'validity' of the question itself.

It's a personal question, expecting a certain kind of answer and that kind alone....is rather odd considering there are 8000 people here with differing opinions of things.

Discussing it over here as some example of snobbishness is even more silly, when no snobbery was intended in people answering the question how they -honestly- feel they would. It is -ascribing- some motivation to others, that they may or may not even hold.

People are now looking for snobs behind every post...and that is a divisive and dreadful turn of affairs, and will only create less a community....not more.

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
The Dame said:
I didn't claim it was personal, I claimed it was inappropriate and a good example of snobbery because you essentially refused to answer the question on the grounds that you'd have better things to do than watch a movie. As geoff_icp pointed out a little later, that wasn't the point of the thread.

I can't stand wasting my time squabbling over silly things that teenagers normally cause drama over. I don't want to be involved, I think it's a waste of time and energy. We all have enough drama in our *real* lives, we don't need to compound it by making more. I'll just end my response by saying I agree 100% with Miss Neecerie's post above.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou