Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

*Snoods*

crystalface

One of the Regulars
RetroMom said:
Crystal Face: Where did you find a pattern for a knit one? I only can find ones that are crocheted and I don't crochet!
I googled a knitted snood pattern, and came across a pdf of a vintage pattern from 1941. The pattern was terribly hard to understand. There was an abbreviation "W.O.N." and I had no clue what it meant, and it used UK needles, so I had to go look for a conversion chart. Oi!

I ended up just making up my own, lol. I can P.M. you my pattern if you'd like?

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I find that if the elastic is too tight, it pops right off my head in record time. I roll the front of my hair, and then pull the snood on my whole head, even covering the rolls. I then gently slide it back behind the rolls, and pin with two large boby pins (slipping them into the rolls, as this helps anchor it more securely.)

I do curl my hair to give it more volume though; uncurled hair has too slippery of a texture to stay well in a snood.

crystalface

One of the Regulars
5359160e36cf.jpg

P.S. It has no elastic in it. I was going blindly, and I secured it with bobly pins.

Faye Valentine

maisie said:
You could re-thread it with tighter elastic, this will help it stay on better.
Yes, that's true! I put elastic in this beaded hairnet I got on ebay (apparently, it had no elastic and I needed it to stay on somehow!)

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
crystalface said:
I googled a knitted snood pattern, and came across a pdf of a vintage pattern from 1941. The pattern was terribly hard to understand. There was an abbreviation "W.O.N." and I had no clue what it meant, and it used UK needles, so I had to go look for a conversion chart. Oi!

I ended up just making up my own, lol. I can P.M. you my pattern if you'd like?

That abbreviation probably meant Wool Over Needle, or what we would call yarn over needle now, to create a hole!

catsmeow

One of the Regulars
I read on a website that a hair net should be worn underneath a snood. This is so the whispy bits of hair doesn't stick out. When i find that website i will post it.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
I find the best way to get it to stay in, apart from having some sort of elastification around the outside is to curl my hair, put the snood on right over my hair then pull it back slightly, THEN I pull the front hair out to make my rolls and pin them over the top of the snood. It can't move.

GOK

One Too Many
I use a hairnet (sleepnet) under my snood and it keeps everything in place. I also use three kirby grips to secure the top of it. On the subject of knitting needles, I have a conversion chart that not only covers UK/US sizes but their vintage equivalents, if anyone wants it, let me know and I'll mail it over - it's a spreadsheet, just so you know!

r lush

New in Town
snoods...

Just curious how many of you gals wear snoods? How often do you wear them and do you ever get an odd comments from those not in the know.

I just got the cutest black one. I did some victory rolls and put it on thinking how good I looked-- and my boy told me I looked like I was going to serve up some mashed potatoes and coleslaw in the cafeteria! :eek:

Of course immediately I had to tell him what a snood was and show him some photos of 40s gals sporting them. I know I will still wear them but it sort of dishearted me that my vintage style brought such a response!

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Here's a photo of a gal in a snood from google:

Crochet%20snood.jpg

I don't have any yet, but whenever I mention them to friends they always bring up the cafeteria thing too! But I asked my mom if she thought one would look cute on me, and she said yes. Since she's my harshest critic (and approves!) I think I'm just gonna go for it!

ChezPez

New in Town
I love snoods! It's just a shame no one seems to remember what they are anymore! I get alot of mixed responses. It seems to depend on whether people know what they are or not. I try not to get too disheartened, because when I want to dress up, and my hair is not working with me, I have to reign it in somehow or it'll destroy the 'look'.

Just this week when I wore one, I was walking to the train, I got both a lovely, "Why yo' wearin' a net on yo' head?" and a "Oh, I love your hair!" in response. :rolleyes:

jugband1

New in Town
I was just thinking about getting one too ant trying it out....I don't know what to do with the front yet though to make it look more vintage than hair net either...I need to do a little more research. I would think that wearing something obviously vintage would help get the point across :rolleyes:

anybody got any photos of modern day women in them?

kate

MissHuff

A-List Customer
I've always adored the photos of women wearing snoods with rolls in their hair and couldn't find any snoods while out at all the vintage-y shops. Snoods truly are lost these days in the stigma of the lunch lady with the hair net. I think snoods are ADORABLE and they definitely could help on those days when your hair just DOESN'T want to work for you and your vintage self. I guess I really need to get on the ball about buying some online and trying them out.

absynth

New in Town
Snood lover

I totally love snoods, but have been unable to find them anywhere in Canada. Alyssa Milano wore them in the TV show Charmed quite a bit. I have found a few places on the net that sells them, I think a few that I found where through the powder room come to think of it. Good prices to for around 4-8 dollars. I wish that I knew how to make them, I would make one in every color and sell them as well.....AH well, the hunt continues. If I can remember the names of the sellers I will post them here for all of you lovely ladies.:)

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
I wear mine a lot, I was actually wearing one yesterday. I always do either one or two rolls at the front, and I have them in black with tiny pearl beads along the top, red, forest green and a flowered one from the Diva Pinup. I have never had a negative comment, only positive ones. I've never had a dinnerlady comment either, but I think our cafeteria dinnerladies don't really wear the chunky hairnets!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy