Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So a lady called me a Pimp today....

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
Ok so how many of us have been called a pimp while wearing out favorite fedora out and about? In what world is it ok for a grown woman to call a man a pimp because of his hat? I would like to lie and say it did not bother me but it did.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Maybe she was looking for employment.;)

Sadly some of my friends view the term Pimp, slut, man-whore, ho…. The list goes on. As a compliment or even a term of endearment. I try and take it in the spirit it was intended.

Try not to take it to serious.

Johnny

Walt

One of the Regulars
Pretty rude of her for sure!

I have a pretty thick skin myself and just don't give a sh*t about what people say or do regarding whatever hat I'm wearing if it is negative or stupid....Hey if people can have spike-colored hair, tats and body piercings all over the place and not get a second look or comment then I sure as hell can wear any hat I want to! Pretty strong feelings eh??? :eeek:

You ought to have a picture of a classic 70's movie/TV pimp to show someone like that (you know one with some cool kat wearing a purple fedora with leopard fur pattern ribbon and at least 3" brim, fur coat, gold chains, maybe behind the wheel of a giant 70's purple convertible Eldorado with giant fuzzy dice, etc) and say, "No, this is a pimp!"

Then you might say something like, "Why are you looking for a job?...Sorry but you are too ugly/old for me to hire you!" if you are in a mood to insult back!

Just a thought! :D

I dunno, man. I'd take it as an unfortunate comment from a person who thinks that all things in this world are begging for her commentary.

Sometimes people blurt out whatever comes to mind, and they really mean no harm at all. They're just thoughtless, you know, but not malicious. And definitions, and connotations, change. These days, people can be heard referring to their own relatively safe and well-tended neighborhood as a "ghetto." It's meant as something of a joke, I suppose. And some women would prefer people not call them "lady." I can understand why that might be such a woman's preference, and I try to be mindful of that, but a person who would get huffy over someone calling her a "lady," when the speaker meant no harm by it whatsoever, betrays a decidedly unappealing level of self-centeredness.

If a woman were to ask if I were a pimp, I'd probably take it as a lame attempt at humor, and say, "Sure am. Wanna join my stable? You could do much worse for yourself, you know."

Mr. Garrulus

One of the Regulars
I have not been called pimp but been asked if I like the "gangster style" once when I was wearing a homburg. Did not answer anything to it.

I ignored her because my first inclination was to call her a hoe in front of her small children. Alas I bit my tongue and walked on

Thank goodness your editor showed up for work today.

While I think most folks would agree that it was unwise for her to utter that word in the presence of such young children, who really have no way of understanding what it means (or meant, historically), it would have made matters all the worse for you to have called her a "ho."

Even if she was kinda begging for it.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think that's right. The "ho" moniker is a punishment that doesn't fit the crime. The crime was ridiculing a style, and the right punishment would be ridiculing hers. But that wouldn't have been big of you either. So silence was good. With the benefit of hindsight (wouldn't have thought of it immediately) I might have said, "well, next time I'll check with you before deciding what to put on every day."

Walt

One of the Regulars
Thank goodness your editor showed up for work today.

While I think most folks would agree that it was unwise for her to utter that word in the presence of such young children, who really have no way of understanding what it means (or meant, historically), it would have made matters all the worse for you to have called her a "ho."

Even if she was kinda begging for it.

Great points Tony! Always best to let the situation determine the response and be sure before responding. My comments were somewhat with tongue-in-cheek.

Most people that make such comments about our hats are probably either being stupid or trying to be a comedian rather than trying to insult.

fedora=pimp or gangster
homburg=gangster (if they knew it was a banker's hat they would probably say one percenter)
cowboy=obviously must be a cowboy
boater=barbershop quartet member
any others?

cjw314

New in Town
How was the word used? I was hoping to put it together from context in this thread, but it hasn't come up...

I certainly have friends in Chicago that have used 'pimp' as an ironic (yet really dated) adjective for well dressed/clean anti-sag style ... and in a sincerely complimentary way.

Of course, if this woman was 70, and spat the word at you, obviously she needed to be backhanded.

Yes, I'm kidding.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart