Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Drivers who enter an intersection when they can't get clear through it. The light turns red are there the fool is, blocking the traffic now with the right of way.

Thus is the cause of gridlock. It not only leaves everyone going nowhere, it prevents emergency equipment and personnel from getting where they are urgently needed.

I'm all for stringent enforcement. Make the fine stiff and as certain as law enforcement resources can make it.

How would this fine be applied to the driver blocking the intersection in the
middle of traffic when there’s no cops around?

Unless you take the license plate number and call the cops.
But by the time the cops get there, it will be too late since the
traffic light has changed and everyone has gone including the offender.
But then you might run the risk of receiving a ticket for using
your cell phone while driving. ;)

Last edited:

Hercule

Practically Family
Depends on the situation.

When the driver turns on the turn signal and at the same time cuts
into my lane in front of me.

My first reaction would probably
be to apply the brakes so as not
to hit the vehicle that just cut into
my lane.
But with the possibilty of being
rear-ended.

As would I and, IMO, any other reasonable person.

But if the driver turns on the turn signal and slows down to change
lanes.

What would you do?

Speed up and not let the driver
into your lane?

Slow down and let the driver
into your lane ?

Depends where I was in relation to the other driver. In some instances it is better to speed up and let the other car pass behind me, but yes, generally slow down and let them in. The whole point of this discussion is that the prevailing mentality has become "anywhere but in front of me".

How would this fine be applied to the driver blocking the intersection in the
middle of traffic when there’s no cops around?

Unless you take the license plate number and call the cops.
But by the time the cops get there, it will be too late since the
traffic light has changed and everyone has gone including the offender.
But then you might run the risk of receiving a ticket for using
your cell phone while driving. ;)

Commissioned law enforcement would have to be on scene, and they can't be everywhere, hence my allusion to stringent enforcement within the limits of law enforcement's resources.

But now you got me thinking that photo enforcement might be useful.

... then cross from the outside third FAST PASSING lane, screaming past two full lanes of traffic then across the white triangular space formed AFTER the exit.

That triangular space is called the "gore point." The only reason I know this bit of trivia is because an acquaintance was injured when the disabled car in which she was sitting was parked in a gore point when it got smacked by a car driven by a person doing pretty much what you described.

She found the name fitting.

Car horns are to alert others to imminent danger. They are not to register objections to what has already been done. (Although I do find myself tapping the horn to let the cell phone gazer ahead of me at the traffic signal know that the light has turned green.)

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
How 'bout the clowns who give the turn signal stalk a light tap after they're the better part through the lane change? The signal blinks once, maybe, or twice, while the car is astraddle the white line

I drive an eleven-year-old car and a fifteen-year-old truck. I am astounded that so many newer cars don't seem to have turn signals, even the really expensive ones!

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
! see this sort of thing every day. There's a stretch of highway I travel that's five lanes wide. On any given day I'm almost guaranteed to see someone in the left most lane, cross over three lanes just to pass someone on the right then go right back to the left high speed lane. Simply insane!
That reminds me, people who stay in the passing lane for miles when there is no one to pass, and below the speed limit, forcing others to pass on the right! We even have big signs, "left lane for passing only."

What do you think, what is the most chavy outerwear, at the moment? In Germany, the curious neon-coloured sneakers and still these (cheap) fur-collar parkas. :D

I used to think many drivers were just spaced out, not aware of where they were, seeing their exit "suddenly" appear out of nowhere, then cross from the outside third FAST PASSING lane, screaming past two full lanes of traffic then across the white triangular space formed AFTER the exit.

It turns out, this is a "thing", a stunt done by many drivers, usually twenty-something males.
Although not quite the same, many years ago I had a friend who would regularly travel in the far left lane on the freeway, activate his turn indicator (sometimes), then cross two or three lanes to the far right lane in a single move in order to exit the freeway. One day I made a derogatory comment about this, and he asked, "What are you supposed to do? Change one lane at a time?" He was genuinely shocked when I answered, "Yes." :rolleyes:

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
What do you think, what is the most chavy outerwear, at the moment? In Germany, the curious neon-coloured sneakers and still these (cheap) fur-collar parkas. :D
I saw a special that said many products that advertise "fake" fur that come from China are actually real fur (often from dogs) because it's cheaper to produce than the fake stuff.

I'm be upset if I bought a "fake" item and got the real stuff.

I saw a special that said many products that advertise "fake" fur that come from China are actually real fur (often from dogs) because it's cheaper to produce than the fake stuff.

That's really horrible. My God, it's as if somebody needs to grab the entire earth by the scruff of it neck and give it a good talking to about integrity, decency, honor.

Right! German media discussed this, too, a while ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou