Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

Hercule

Practically Family
I've taken cr*p my entire life (and it's worse now that eating meat practically raw is the norm) for liking my steak medium well.

Simple reply: You eat YOUR steak YOUR way and I'll eat MY steak MY way PERIOD, END of subject! Now GO AWAY!

I understand the arguments about destroying the taste and all, but it's all so personal and after all who's eating it? You or the person cooking it? All my life I've been a rare/medium-rare steak person, I 've even been known to eat some raw, but any more I prefer med to medium-well. Especially when it comes to burgers. I think it's pretty much a texture thing. Being a little more done gives a better bite to a piece of meat rather that chewiness of under, or lesser done steak.

Simple reply: You eat YOUR steak YOUR way and I'll eat MY steak MY way PERIOD, END of subject! Now GO AWAY!

I understand the arguments about destroying the taste and all, but it's all so personal and after all who's eating it? You or the person cooking it? All my life I've been a rare/medium-rare steak person, I 've even been known to eat some raw, but any more I prefer med to medium-well. Especially when it comes to burgers. I think it's pretty much a texture thing. Being a little more done gives a better bite to a piece of meat rather that chewiness of under, or lesser done steak.

What's interesting is how much the mean has shifted to the general public eating rare meat today. Twenty years ago, I bet most meat was ordered medium rare or medium, now rare or even "rare bloody" is a quite common order.

I've found that this has also shifted the definitions of all the cooking levels: hence, for example, if you order something medium today, it will come closer to what was medium rare twenty years ago. So, when I want something medium well, I (1) have to take abuse from the table, (2) endure a disparaging look from the waiter and (3) have a discussion of about what "medium well" means with the waiter or it will be invariably undercooked.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Throw the cold steak on top of it just as it starts to sizzle. You don't want to use more than a small chip of butter -- just enough to keep the meat from sticking to the pan. And you don't want to have the heat on "High" -- medium-high is fine.

Great.
Looks like you prefer the steak more towards medium than well done.
I’ll give it a try when I get off from work.
I need to stop at the meat market and find a good cut of meat.
I’ll save a spot for you in case you decide to drop by.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Cooking a steak this way will also put out a lot of greasy smoke, so if
you have a smoke alarm near your kitchen, best take the battery out before you cook the steak. And open a window to let the smoke out.

Woulda been nice if you had
mentioned this earlier, sweetie. :(

33u60x5.png

Last edited:
The words "Comcast/xfinity/Satan" should be enough, but more specifically it is their practice of charging extra for much of what is worth watching on their ondemand section. Seasons currently playing nowadays only allow the viewer to see a fraction of the season as it is playing. They lock away the early episodes so that you must wait until the season is over when they will charge you for those episodes. Jerks.
:D

The words "Comcast/xfinity/Satan" should be enough, but more specifically it is their practice of charging extra for much of what is worth watching on their ondemand section. Seasons currently playing nowadays only allow the viewer to see a fraction of the season as it is playing. They lock away the early episodes so that you must wait until the season is over when they will charge you for those episodes. Jerks.
:D

It's the manipulation and constantly "evolving model" that gets me angry at these companies. Companies have to make money, TV shows and movies have to generate revenue - got it, respect it.

Just put out a clear, transparent pricing system that makes it obvious what is included in the monthly fee and what isn't. Then, have a reasonably consistent policy for when shows will be included in that monthly fee (the whole "free" labeling for an on-demand show is insulting as free means I don't have to pay a monthly fee - these guys don't get that we're not idiots).

On demand, as you point out is some crazy shifting whack-a-mole system where things are or aren't included and, then (and this one gets me to loath cable companies), they put something on demand for "free" (again, as if your monthly fee doesn't exist) and "disable" the fast forward function so as to force commercials on you.

I could go on, but we all know, see, feel and hate the big and little manipulative tricks the cable companies try to put over on us. Here's what they are missing: treat your customer like a fool, like a chicken to be plucked - while at the same time mouthing some corporate speak about how "valuable" the customer is - and the customer will learn to hate you. Treat your customer like an adult, tell him what something will cost and be transparent and consistent and he'll respect you.

Some combination of marketer, accountant, business executive and satan that sit in these companies coming up with these little schemes and machinations to "fool" the customer into "renting" a streaming movie or watching commercials on something they thought would be commercial free, might appear successful to the narrow-minded executives who pedantically count each quarter's revenue or "click throughs" or "eyeballs" or whatever little metric they gin the system to produce, but they don't understand that they have created companies the public loathes deeply and passionate and, thus, these companies have no good will to fall back on. The day it makes sense, I'll completely cut the cable cord (we've already dialed back our service) in part hoping that enough little cuts like mine will befall the mendacious giant.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steveng183