Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

So, forget the hybrid. Only senseful on plain countryside with part-throttle, when the running e-motor relieves the fuel-motor.

Nah. It's in city traffic where hybrids shine. The gasoline ("petrol" for you who, like the Brits, are still learning the language) engine is running not at all while waiting at traffic signals, etc. This is why hybrids get better fuel economy in city driving than highway driving, which is the opposite of gasoline-only powered cars.

Whether the additional purchase price of a hybrid can be rationalized by that lowered fuel costs is another argument. That will vary from car to car and from operator to operator. If I lived in a remote locale and did most all my driving on lonely rural roads and highways, a hybrid would make less sense.

Nah. It's in city traffic where hybrids shine. The gasoline ("petrol" for you who, like the Brits, are still learning the language) engine is running not at all while waiting at traffic signals, etc. This is why hybrids get better fuel economy in city driving than highway driving, which is the opposite of gasoline-only powered cars.

Right, but like I said, the main idea on hybrid is the fuel-saving on "part-throttle driving", like you would drive 70 kph on plain parts of German Autobahn, with the running e-generator/motor, relieving the fuel-engine and so lowering the fuel-consumption. That's the whole idea, fuel-saving on part-throttle driving. The full-hybrid-system (like Toyota).
But, to many people all over the world, the hybrid-car is senseless.

And in Germany, at the hype on hybrid, 10 years ago, we said for fun, that it would amortize already after only 100.000 kilometres. ;)

Last edited:
I dson't know about private chaffeurs, but yes, we have most of those sorts of regs here too (though I think the accursed Uber gets round them as it does most other things)...
Uber does have specific requirements and some form of screening process for their drivers, but otherwise I don't know how they deal with the current chauffeur laws. Maybe they somehow bypass the issue in the same way that carpool drivers do? I mean, they're called passenger vehicles for a reason, right? :confused:

As for manual vs. automatic transmissions, southern California still has something of a "car culture" in which most drivers prefer manual so I think the number/ratio of manual transmission vehicles might be slightly higher. Besides which, there's a whole sub-culture of children with "tuner" cars (i.e., sub-compact import cars that they've damaged by trying to turn them into street racers) who have deluded themselves into thinking they can drive just like the CG cars in the "Fast and Furious" movies. :rolleyes:

^^^^^
Either something is getting lost in translation here, or you are misinformed.

You were talking about the "micro-hybrid" (recovery of braking-energy), I was talking about the real thing, the "mild-hybrid" (partly supporting the fuel-motor) or even "full-hybrid" (permanently relieving the fuel-motor).

Last edited:
^^^^
None in particular, all in general. With few exceptions, hybrids get better fuel economy in city driving than highway driving. Indeed, the boost in highway fuel efficiency with hybrids over their all-gas powered counterparts (think Toyota Camry, Nissan Altima, Ford Fusion, etc.) is relatively negligible in comparison to the wide improvements in hybrid city driving fuel efficiency.

The fuel efficiency ratings of plug-in hybrids don't take into account the energy used to power those batteries while they're plugged in. Anybody who thinks his "green" credentials are polished by driving a plug-in car whose charging power comes from an old coal-fired power plant might want to examine things a bit more closely.

Here in the sunny Denver area are found parking lots with flat roofs tilted toward the south and covered in photovoltaic cells. Plug-in car operators park in the shade of those roofs and plug in their cars at the charging stations. These cars are literally running on sunshine, at least partially. And that's waaaay cool.

Last edited:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Our current daily driver is a Toyota Sienna minivan -- V6 engine, automatic tranny, power everything. Most of my driving these days is on city streets in moderate to heavy traffic. Under such conditions I'm getting in the mid to high teens of miles per gallon -- 16 to 18, typically. On the open road I've seen 30 mpg. All that sitting in traffic with an idling engine comes at a real cost. It's a good argument for a hybrid.
I feel better now! My big Tacoma with a V6 and auto also power every thing, and then some, gets 19-20 in the summer, I am getting 18 now, probably the cold and winter blend gas.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up

Whether the additional purchase price of a hybrid can be rationalized by that lowered fuel costs is another argument. That will vary from car to car and from operator to operator. If I lived in a remote locale and did most all my driving on lonely rural roads and highways, a hybrid would make less sense.
My understanding is, if you do a lot of in town miles a year, yes to a hybrid! If you are a traveling highway sales person or you don't put many miles a year on, then a big fat no! I took my truck in for the six month, 10,000 mile check up. I don't even have 5,000 miles and I though I was driving a lot.

I feel better now! My big Tacoma with a V6 and auto also power every thing, and then some, gets 19-20 in the summer, I am getting 18 now, probably the cold and winter blend gas.

I'd think you'd get better mileage. You live in a rural area, right?

But then, even if you don't often get stuck in urban rush hour traffic (as I do, pretty much daily), short hops will get you fewer mpg than longer trips.

Are you often carrying heavy loads?

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I'd think you'd get better mileage. You live in a rural area, right?

But then, even if you don't often get stuck in urban rush hour traffic (as I do, pretty much daily), short hops will get you fewer mpg than longer trips.

Are you often carrying heavy loads?
Almost all in city driving, no load.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou