Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So, what happened with the bound-edge Nostalgia?

panama jack

One of the Regulars
I have been following this thread also hoping to see that they were for sale. I would be interested in get one.
I was also considering purchasing a Federation deluxe, having the brim trimmed to 2 1/2 inches all around and having the edge bound.
Has anyone considered getting their Federation bound around the edge? If anyone has had it done I would like to see a picture of it.

pj

Stoney

Practically Family
Actually I was hoping for a welted edge Nostalgia.
One with two or three rows of stitching on the welt would look sharp.
It seems odd that Hatco can't make the Nostalgia in all three edge treatments.
I would think three different production runs would work if nothing else.

[huh]

carldelo

One Too Many
I gave up

I emailed Besdor off-list in late Nov - early Dec and was told the order was still pending, but delayed at the manufacturer. In early Jan I sent a few emails asking for an update but received no response. I've been wanting a gray hat for a while, so I finally gave up in the face of no info and bought something else (from Bencraft, BTW). As far as I know it's still in the works. I like the fact that the Bencraft version is going to have a somewhat narrower ribbon, and I plan to try it on if it ever shows. Who knows, the new Whippet (which appears to be a Chatham with a bound brim) may show up first. Besdor if you're tuned in, we'd all appreciate an update.

Stoney - I agree - the hat I bought has an underwelt edge, which I think is a great treatment. It gives the brim real strength and definition when snapped, plus it gives your fingers purchase when holding the hat by the brim so it doesn't slip out of your hand. It takes me back to my first hat which had a Cav-edge.

analogist

One of the Regulars
Stetson Nostalgia

I own (I think the first one) a bound edge Caribou Grey Nostalgia which I got from Steven at Bencraft. It is a very nice hat which I believe is in their Sovereign quality range.

I have not worn it in any foul weather so I could not report on its durability. I do have a Chatham which has survived rain and snow and is none the worse for wear. IMHO it is better than most Akubras I have seen with the exception of a Federation Deluxe which I have worn for a number of years.

Is it comparable to something made by Art? Of course not. Does it compare to something from Optimo? Not by a long shot but for the price Bencraft sells them for, it is a real good bargain.

analogist

carldelo

One Too Many
analogist said:
... but for the price Bencraft sells them for, it is a real good bargain.

analogist

Ay, there's the rub, Bencraft doesn't sell them, they haven't arrived - yet. But I'll be there when they do....

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I'm hoping it has a nice wider looking bound edge rather than a narrow binding like what you see on the Open Road.

I'm a fan of the Nostalgia primarily because... well.

Back in the day -- yes I said back in the day,
Stetson offered several crown styles for their dress hats. They made them in full medium and small crown sizes.

Right now Stetson only offers one crown size and it's small. They keep changing the styling but it's still the same hat with different treatments, and that's my biggest gripe.

The Nostalgia brings back a full crown to their lineup and that's is a good thing.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
When we looked at the new collection from Stetson this week, there wasnt one open crown hat in the line. I asked about the Nostalgia and was told that it is still available but there wasnt much enthusiasim in the response. I think that Hatco wants more preblocked hats . They sell much better. We did order some Nostalgia's but the hats came in wrong. The quality wasnt up to par.
What we did order for the falll was the new Whippet hat. It is a teardrop shaped hat with a wide binding. It will be available in three colors . If the hats come in like the sample, it will be a great seller.This hat looks just like the original version from the 1940's. Even the quality of the fur is better this time. For some reason the Nostalgia in the Carabou Gray was very mottled . We would have gotten back every hat that we sent out.
I think Analogist has the only one that came in decent.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
besdor said:
...the new Whippet hat. It is a teardrop shaped hat with a wide binding. It will be available in three colors .

Elsewhere here I read that the crown of the new Whippet would be tapered. What did the sample show?

carter

I'll Lock Up
besdor said:
When we looked at the new collection from Stetson this week, there wasnt one open crown hat in the line. I asked about the Nostalgia and was told that it is still available but there wasnt much enthusiasim in the response.... We did order some Nostalgia's but the hats came in wrong. The quality wasnt up to par.
... For some reason the Nostalgia in the Carabou Gray was very mottled . We would have gotten back every hat that we sent out.
I think Analogist has the only one that came in decent.
This is a textbook example of how to kill a hat before it gets out of the box.
Generate some buzz about the hat.
Take a goodly amount of time on delivery to the merchant.
Deliver a subpar product to the merchant.
Merchant returns all the hats.
Buzz kill.

I really question the quality of Quality Control at HATCO.

carldelo

One Too Many
scotrace said:
Elsewhere here I read that the crown of the new Whippet would be tapered. What did the sample show?

On the 'Stetson in the Modern Day' thread, Hatco published a picture of the new Whippet - it's about a third of the way down on page 7:

http://thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=8571&page=7

I may be wrong, but that new Whippet (3210-0223) is just a Chatham (3210) with a nice wide brim binding. Plus he says it's the same crown as the Downs (2210) which also looks like the Hampton (3310) where the number 10 in the designation indicates the crown shape. This is OK with me as I like the Chatham - but those who pine for the return of the real Whippet may be disappointed.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Whippet by Stetson

I am not sure if the block on the new Whippet is the same as the Chatham but it is a very nice looking hat. The sample which I saw was in a color called Tawny. It felt like a beaver quality hat but it is made in the soverign quality. It will sell very well. I just pray that the delivery of the hats come in like the sample.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
besdor said:
When we looked at the new collection from Stetson this week, there wasnt one open crown hat in the line. I asked about the Nostalgia and was told that it is still available but there wasnt much enthusiasim in the response.

Maybe you should tell them it's because we were all waiting to see the bound edge version before deciding!!! lol

univibe88

One Too Many
panama jack said:
I have been following this thread also hoping to see that they were for sale. I would be interested in get one.
I was also considering purchasing a Federation deluxe, having the brim trimmed to 2 1/2 inches all around and having the edge bound.
Has anyone considered getting their Federation bound around the edge? If anyone has had it done I would like to see a picture of it.

pj

That would be very sharp. You'd basically have a Whippet.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I had planned on ordering a Nostalgia pretty soon but I like the sound of the Whippet. If and when someone gets their hands on one please post a picture!

Bird's One View

One of the Regulars
Not-Bogart13 said:
Maybe you should tell them it's because we were all waiting to see the bound edge version before deciding!!! lol

Interesting.

I got a Nostalgia (non-bound, from a different retailer) and I have no complaint about the felt. Of course, I didn't see the ones that besdor returned!

Anyway, I like the hat well enough. Time will tell how it wears.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot