Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So what is the Fedora Lounge all about?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
How about reigning in the bad karma mongers first????

Perhaps the "informative" threads are withering on the vine because every so often there is a snide remark that then turns into multiple posts by one person who absolutely thinks he must change everyone's view to his own. So who really wants to contribute to a thread if his posts are going to be ridiculed?

Examples include;

the boxers thread; someone doesn't like boxers, so what do we get?; a dozen or so anti-boxer posts comparing them to diapers, blah blah blah. Anyone who wears them is derided. Everyone should dress like the guy who doesn't wear boxers.

Or a thread about monograms, someone doesn't like them and we get more of the same infantile whining about why he would never monogram a shirt.

A-shirts and undershirts. The same crap again. Some poster lives in a country that gets maybe a couple weeks of sunshine so the whole world has to read about his dislike for A-shirts. Go find another thread!!

"I hate hot-rods! Every '36 Ford should be absolutely original and if you don't do it then I'm going to post and post and post until the thread dies".

"Blue and Brown don't go together" and I don't care what designer in 1935 got such an ensemble to match. I'm going to post and post and post and post and post until every post agrees with me.

Sometimes a guy just wants to post; SHUT THE HELL UP ALREADY!!! and let those who are interested in said topic have an intelligent conversation without the negative moron chiming in every other post.

It's these types of posts that are driving people away from posting intelligently on the Lounge, not threads about sandwiches, prostate exams or fake melons.

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Well, boys and girls...

This place reminds me a lot of the federal government... there are a lot of departments and agencies and no one person (except maybe Scotrace who seems to have WAY too much time on his hands) can take it all in. For me the greatest challenge now is just keeping up with all of the new threads and old threads with new posts. Miss a day and there are about 200-300 threads with new posts.

When I was a bartender, all I had time to do was to watch/edit my rooms and keep up with the bartender back-and-forth. Even with that I was spending at least 90 minutes a day as a volunteer. The workload has only increased even though there have been some terrific new rooms added and more bartenders enlisted.

My top TWO suggestions: (1) Stick ALL of the *Look at my new hat!!* threads into a single omnibus thread; (2) Place a TIME LIMIT on strange and off-beat OB threads (give them a week and then close them down!).

I love old movies, have an insatiable appetite for WWII, enjoy a few vintage accessories (watches and cufflinks, mostly), and genuinely like the folks that hang out here. I gotta find the time to scan/photograph more of my stuff so that I can get back to helping build the intellectual content. That was, and still, is what makes this corner of the cyber-universe so unique and special.

Cheers to all and thanks to the men and women in the white aprons and snappy bar-towels. (Snap a few more popkas, will ya?)

Fred H.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Zemke Fan said:
(1) Stick ALL of the *Look at my new hat!!* threads into a single omnibus thread;

New thread started as of yesterday evening.

I will state, however, that too many hat threads hasn't been the problem. :)

AdmiralTofu

One of the Regulars
AlanC said:

I will state, however, that too many hat threads hasn't been the problem. :)

Perhaps not as a whole, but it (and other merged threads like it) will certainly go a long way toward helping folks wade through information (and fluff) to get to the really meaty stuff. :)

-Tofu

Justdog

Practically Family
Archive

Just dicovered the Archive feature for the category you are in. I utilized it and found it to be excellent to find knowledge. With this and the google advance search my navigating has improved demonstrably.

CharlesB

Suspended
I would just like to add one last thing. This is a great place and I do love it to bits. I've met some great folks at least online (for now) and think they are a blast. That being said, while it is important to keep our eye on the ball as it were, sometimes the best thing in the world is the infusion of a little silliness.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
AlanC said:

I'll enter a guilty plea. Just Friday evening I started another "Look At My New Hat" thread.

But before I'm sentenced, please let me say that of all the hats and vintage jackets that I've purchased since I've been a member here (two years, now), I've only posted about four or five of them---my Snowy River, my Gun Club, my Wildlife Service Stetson and now my Stylemaster. I can't remember if I posted about my Panama or not. The Gun Club post was because I was asked about it by another member. The Snowy River post was because I didn't know anything about Akubras. The Stetson post was because I wanted to know roughly when that hat was made. And, yep---I was just bragging about the Stylemaster.

Folks, I have to say, over the last seventy-two hours I've begun to question just exactly qualifies as an acceptable post on this board. I fear that in a effort to revert the Lounge back to the "good old days", the meat here may soon be thrown out with the garbage. OK, I'm with 'ya about the "getting to know you" threads. There's clearly too many (although I do love 'em). But dang!---if someone gets a new hat, shouldn't the folks who read the hat section be allowed to see it? Shouldn't it's presentation to the board be more than just another "tack on" to some ongoing thread? Shouldn't every classic hat get its very own "headline"?

Atticus

vonwotan

Practically Family
I have not read through this entire thread yet but wanted to give my first impression. When I first found the Fedora Lounge it was to search for information about fedoras and panamas - both modern and vintage. When I first started posting it seemed to be a collection fora dedicated primarily to vintage hats, clothing and Golden Age topics. And, through the generosity of some members we were treated to loads of images from Apparel Arts - a magazine I hope to slowly collect...

Looking through the last few posts it seems that folks feel we have lost that focus or, would like to change that focus?

Seeing some of the comments I have to wonder whehther my last post should have been made in an existing/different thread? I purchased a vintage Cavanaugh hat with Cavanaugh Edge that is made of a very soft fur, not felt, and hoped to learn more about it from our resident experts by posting photos and questions in the Hats forum.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Lincsong said:
Perhaps the "informative" threads are withering on the vine because every so often there is a snide remark that then turns into multiple posts by one person who absolutely thinks he must change everyone's view to his own. So who really wants to contribute to a thread if his posts are going to be ridiculed?

Examples include;

the boxers thread; someone doesn't like boxers, so what do we get?; a dozen or so anti-boxer posts comparing them to diapers, blah blah blah. Anyone who wears them is derided. Everyone should dress like the guy who doesn't wear boxers.

Or a thread about monograms, someone doesn't like them and we get more of the same infantile whining about why he would never monogram a shirt.

A-shirts and undershirts. The same crap again. Some poster lives in a country that gets maybe a couple weeks of sunshine so the whole world has to read about his dislike for A-shirts. Go find another thread!!

"I hate hot-rods! Every '36 Ford should be absolutely original and if you don't do it then I'm going to post and post and post until the thread dies".

"Blue and Brown don't go together" and I don't care what designer in 1935 got such an ensemble to match. I'm going to post and post and post and post and post until every post agrees with me.

Sometimes a guy just wants to post; SHUT THE HELL UP ALREADY!!! and let those who are interested in said topic have an intelligent conversation without the negative moron chiming in every other post.

It's these types of posts that are driving people away from posting intelligently on the Lounge, not threads about sandwiches, prostate exams or fake melons.

I agree with you on this one. There are a number of people all over the board who are heavy posters in threads they dont have interest in, and post only to show their distain for said topic. Sometimes that are ignored, but stepping up and telling them to shut it is a fine civil thing to do, in my opinion.

LD

Mike in Seattle

Perhaps on the "Here's my new (hat/suit)" type of threads, periodically move or copy the post showing said item to a separate thread that only has those original posts with the pictures & description. That would quickly allow someone to scan just the pictures & descriptions, without having to wade through lots & lots of "Looks great!" and "Love the lapels!" and "Great color for you!" type of posts. Perhaps consider it an archive or "best of" or "hall of fame" post that's just going to show picture & description (perhaps edited & condensed) in one place without seeing all the congratulatory commentary. And here's a thought - put a link on each of those posts that takes them to the expanded thread on that particular hat, suit, what have you if they want to look at all of the detailed commentary.

I'm not suggesting that the "Looks great!" type of comments aren't important or necessary, because they most certainly are. When someone finds a great item and wants to show everyone else, they deserve all of the compliments and comment they receive on it. But how many times does everyone else need to see that someone likes something someone else found or it's a great fit or color for them? (Man, that's sounding rude of me, and that's not the intent at all!)

I believe someone else suggested something along those lines on another post - I'm thinking it was in regard to hats and I think the suggestion was along the lines of setting up a separate "sticky" for each major type of hat and the sticky would just have pictures of the various members' hat in the category. Categories would be something like Federation, Stylemaster, Adventurer, Panamas, Stratoliner, Borsolino, etc. That way, if someone was thinking about getting lets say a Federation and wondered about look & color, they could go to that thread and see just pictures of that model of hat from those who already have one, and then perhaps might private message that member with specific questions.

Another idea for a "sticky" would be a glossary of terms and jargon used. As you use the Lounge, you pickup things and start to use them. They become part of your online vocabulary, but it sometimes leaves newbies scratching their heads. Example: OFAS. It seems like at least once a week, sometimes more often, someone will have to ask what the heck that means. Someone suggested banning it entirely :)eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap ) and that'll stick for a little while. But I think we all know it's going to rear it's head at some point. There are other terms & acronyms & abbreviations that people wonder about, but don't ask about not wanting to appear stupid. What's a stingy brim? What do they mean by bash? We've all learned them over time - why not help the newbies get up to speed a little quicker and easier?

Perhaps a couple "stickies" on often-asked questions by the new users. "What style of hat suits my face?" or "Online hat dealers" or "How to post your pictures" or "Cleaning your hat" leap to mind.

Miss 1929

Such drama!

I have only been a member for about a year, or less, so I wasn't around for the "good old days" of dry discussion of this and that. And frankly, I like the Lounge just the way it is as far as the balance of dry to fluff goes.

I find the threads about favorite sandwich for instance, a little silly, but I still enjoy seeing the tastes of my fellow Loungers. If the title of the thread doesn't seem interesting, well, don't read it! No one is forcing you!

I have never felt that my vintage clothing appreciation existed in a vacuum but that it was part of an appreciation for all things of the 20s and 30s. So I am afraid I can't sympathize with those blowhards who only want to see threads about what they consider important, and only if they find information they do not already know. Have a cocktail and chill out, already!

I have been a collector for decades, but every time I visit the Lounge I learn something new, so there is plenty to mine from the past threads, as well as great new info being posted all the time.

Also, I don't think that closing down a fluff thread after ten days or so will reduce the amount of fluff threads, I think they will just multiply.

What would be helpful were more divisions within the existing divisions. For instance, in Beauty, I couldn't by searching find a thread on Eyebrows, until the ever-helpful Miss Neecarie set me on the path, and it would have been a lot more efficient if there were subheaders under Beauty, ie. Makeup, Hair, Skincare so that we can navigate better. This probably applies to all the area of the Lounge.

I think it's a wonderful place, I have enjoyed my interactions with everyone here, I have greatly enjoyed meeting in person the few that I have met so far (and look forward to meeting all of you someday), and I refuse to believe that it's a bad thing that we are a community!

vonwotan

Practically Family
After reading through the entire thread I have to say that Miss 1929 has a point. The Fedora Lounge has grown over time as has the breadth of interests shared by our diverse community. I do hope the FL remains first and formost a place to learn and to share our interests and that we can keep some of our more knowledgeable members engaged so we can all benefit from their experience and knowledge.

Vintage Betty

I'd like to respond to those who are seeking rich information....

I'd like to respond to those who are seeking rich information in today's Fedora's Lounge...

I've been a member for only a year, so I don't think I qualify to speak on the "good old days"; just today and perhaps yesterday as I read it, with a very personal post, so apologies in advance if this is a little too personal for some:

I have consciously tried to be a member to contribute to the Lounge, in terms of giving historical photos for reference, encouraging other members to explore their local history, and researching data for reference. Since I've collected over 25+ years, I share what I think is useful knowledge in terms of this Board.

The information I share is what I hope others enjoy reading and by my sharing this information or encouraging others, it will support them in contributing to the Lounge further and increasing their knowledge of the "Golden Age".

Here's a few samples of what I, as a relatively new poster have learned in the last year:

• When I have tried to post a new hat in the thread, it gets no response, therefore I need to post it in its own thread to get a response or information.
  • A photo of a lovely lass currently half my age or twice as pretty will get 5-10 times the compliments and responses I do, regardless of subject matter.
  • When I post in the men's threads about men's items, I am sometimes derided, despite the fact that I have purchased every single one of my husband's vintage items for him for over 15 years, and have tons of reference material and other similar objects to compare/contrast in the spirit of discussion or education.
  • Men have always thanked me for the gifts or sharing items in the Classifieds; less than half the women thank me for taking the time to have a contest or share an item with them.
  • Sometimes I get no response to an inquiry post (Check out the London Tea Thread)
  • Persons read my articles and than don't post ANYTHING in response. No discussion, no comments.
I currently have over 90+ photos sitting idly by, waiting for me to write three research articles to post to the Lounge on a variety of subjects for review, consideration and discussion.

I am currently letting my reference material sit fallow as I see my participation on a downslide, and not for the better. There is one simple word which explains my moving farther and farther away from contributing to this Board:
  • Manners
The lack of manners of some persons on this Board is driving me away. I can easily not write the articles, saving more time for other things. I can easily not have contests to try and bring humor and history to the Lounge, and donate the same items to a local charity shop AND get a tax writeoff. And I can easily not have another Globe Trotting Hat contest, saving myself hundreds of dollars in prizes and postage.

I ask you who are comparing and complaining: What have you contributed in the last year I've been on the Board? Have you responded to the many articles I've written? Have you been the person who hasn't tried to brighten my day or made me feel welcome when others have derided me?

I understand that one of the great things about this Board is that everyone is entitled to their opinion, and our discussions are civilized. But some of us are only human, and while we enjoy the Board and try to contribute, it gets tiring to continue to attempt to contribute when there is no response back to our efforts.

Vintage Betty

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Unintended consequences... or it seemed like a good idea!

The new "Look at my new hat" thread has already started to show the problems that such a thread can cause. It's been pointed out that the cross-conversations about different hats that have been posted already are starting to become hard to follow and that searches may become even more difficult then they are now.

On first consideration I thought that it wouldn't be that bad. After all, we already have something like it in the "What hat are you wearing today" thread. In that thread someone posts a photo of themselves in their hat, people come back with compliments (mostly) and there might be a question or two about a particular hat. Not that difficult.

If the new hats thread was limited to that sort of thing (photos of the hat, a few compliments, move on to the next) it would work just fine. Truth be told, that's really what makes up most of the "here's my new hat" threads. But there are times when a new hat owner has specific questions about their new acquisition, or readers want more detail/specifics about the hat and it becomes a discussion about the hat itself, that model hat, that company. It's that sort of thing that will be stifled or muddled in the new format.

Some general rules or guidelines might need to be worked out as to when to post about a new hat in the new hat thread or when it should have a thread of it's own. Something to consider.

This simple change (implementing a "new hats" thread) does help illuminate just how difficult it can be for the bartenders to determine in advance what changes and tweaks might be improvements and which ones might turn out to be a detriment. Not an easy task!

Oh, and I opted not to post this in the new hats thread even if it is mostly about that thread because it would have been off topic. :D

Regards,
Tom

Jovan

Suspended
rubyredlocks said:
I'll admit it. I'm here for the fluff.
I work on my feet all day,take care of my 1 year old,and my husband,and the housework. When I finally get a chance to myself every once in a while I check in with the FL and I'm not up for any type of deep thought provoking discussion.
Doesn't mean I don't read them,but do I contribute? Heck no.
So,what do I contribute? An occasional pretty picture,a compliment or 2.All the hair questions seem to have been discussed before.Which is my expertise.
All those early contributors did provide such a wealth of knowledge,what else is there to add?
Does my lack of contribution make me unwelcome?
lol
Miss 1929 said:
I have only been a member for about a year, or less, so I wasn't around for the "good old days" of dry discussion of this and that. And frankly, I like the Lounge just the way it is as far as the balance of dry to fluff goes.

I find the threads about favorite sandwich for instance, a little silly, but I still enjoy seeing the tastes of my fellow Loungers. If the title of the thread doesn't seem interesting, well, don't read it! No one is forcing you!

I have never felt that my vintage clothing appreciation existed in a vacuum but that it was part of an appreciation for all things of the 20s and 30s. So I am afraid I can't sympathize with those blowhards who only want to see threads about what they consider important, and only if they find information they do not already know. Have a cocktail and chill out, already!

I have been a collector for decades, but every time I visit the Lounge I learn something new, so there is plenty to mine from the past threads, as well as great new info being posted all the time.

Also, I don't think that closing down a fluff thread after ten days or so will reduce the amount of fluff threads, I think they will just multiply.

What would be helpful were more divisions within the existing divisions. For instance, in Beauty, I couldn't by searching find a thread on Eyebrows, until the ever-helpful Miss Neecarie set me on the path, and it would have been a lot more efficient if there were subheaders under Beauty, ie. Makeup, Hair, Skincare so that we can navigate better. This probably applies to all the area of the Lounge.

I think it's a wonderful place, I have enjoyed my interactions with everyone here, I have greatly enjoyed meeting in person the few that I have met so far (and look forward to meeting all of you someday), and I refuse to believe that it's a bad thing that we are a community!
:eusa_clap

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Vintage Betty said:
Here's a few samples of what I, as a relatively new poster have learned in the last year:
  • A photo of a lovely lass currently half my age or twice as pretty will get 5-10 times the compliments and responses I do, regardless of subject matter.
  • Men have always thanked me for the gifts or sharing items in the Classifieds; less than half the women thank me for taking the time to have a contest or share an item with them.

I am currently letting my reference material sit fallow as I see my participation on a downslide, and not for the better. There is one simple word which explains my moving farther and farther away from contributing to this Board:
  • Manners

I ask you who are comparing and complaining: What have you contributed in the last year I've been on the Board? Have you responded to the many articles I've written? Have you been the person who hasn't tried to brighten my day or made me feel welcome when others have derided me?

Vintage Betty

This thread is about the Fedora Lounge and somehow you've made it about you? This is very strange to me.

It was you who said to me, in response to when I said I didn't dress vintage, that I may be in the wrong place (I had posted my first vintage sweater).

I could easily feel like I am dead weight to this forum since I do not dress vintage, nor do I do pin up shoots or wear pin curls. But that doesn't bother me, because I don't expect everyone to like me or appreciate that I am vintage at heart and to me it's not about the superficialities.

When I was the bartender at the Display case and invited people to post pics of vintage recipes, you did not participate, and then started a similar thread. However, I did not take anyone's non-participation personally. When I bartended, no one thanked me; I did it because I wanted to give back.

I shouldn't be typing this much as I have an injury that makes typing painful, but I felt the need to state to you that I think it's silly to feel resentful that not enough females have thanked you.

I think when one gives, it should be without expectation. Otherwise, it's not a gift.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
LizzieMaine said:
I'll also suggest that many of us here are interested in not just the clothing of the Era but the culture and society that *produced* that clothing -- and, again, speaking as a member, I think that discussions of how people lived in the Era -- what they ate, what they drove, how they furnished their homes, what they saw at the movies and listened to on the radio, what they felt about the issues of their time, what they believed as they went about their lives -- are every bit as essential to the Lounge's overall purpose as analysis of box pleats or how-to seminars on properly turning a collar.

Yes, Lizzie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou