Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Soap for shaving

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I tend to lather and brush with warm water and glycerin soap.

Because I have such sensitive skin, I step into a very hot shower and make sure to clear off my face and throat.

Afterwards, I use Clean&Clear Morning Burst facial soap with the little "bursting beads"; I pick it up relatively cheap from walmart. I'm not kidding you, even after a rough slice-and-dice shave, that stuff with the piping hot water makes for smooth, non-irritated skin.

Does anyone have a recommendation for pre-shave oil? I'd like to try that route some time.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
As mentioned above, hot water softens the beard. The old fashioned barber shave included a very hot wet towel wrapped around the face. You see this image in drawings and cartoons of old barbershops. On those rare occasions when I take the time to give myself a realy good shave, I'll wash my face with soap and water first, then take a wash cloth and soak it with water as hot as I can reasonable stand, and just press the cloth against my face for a good minute or more. It's a great sensation itself, and the whiskers just soften up like crazy under the cloth.
Then I shave in my normal manner, which is to use soap lathered up with my hands. I must say I do enjoy the shaving brush, but my problem is I'm always in a rush and don't want to spend the time rinsing the brush out.

MrFusion

One of the Regulars
rmrdaddy said:
Adam,
I understand your point, but I just simply don't like to face lather.
If you have never seen them, check out the videos on YouTube by Mantic. They are a series of tutorials on all aspects of weshaving.

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of these videos. I don't think am ready for the single blade razor or straight razor yet but after watching these tutorials, I see some of the mistakes I have been making.
I have the deadly combo of the heavy beard and sensitive skin. I got that from my grandfather. He was in the Navy and told me the barbers would take one look at him and give him the razor to shave himself!

D

DeaconKC

2 great shave soaps for me have been Colonel Conk's Almond and Proraso shaving cream [also sold as C O Bigelow at Bath and Body Works]. These are both VERY moisturizing and give a really great shave.

MrFusion

One of the Regulars
I have some of the Proraso shaving cream and like it a lot. Has anyone tried the Ogallala Bay Rum shaving soaps? If so, did they work well?

sfend002

Familiar Face
I was turned on to the wet shaving some time back. But I have terrible luck with finding any soaps in the stores. I was in wal mart and target recently and they had nothing [huh] Any suggestions?

D

DeaconKC

In Walmart or Target look for the Van Der Hagen soap, it works well [for the price it's FANTASTIC]. Also grab some of the Gillette Aftershave Soothing Balm, it is really nice if you have a sensitive side.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
sfend002 said:
I was turned on to the wet shaving some time back. But I have terrible luck with finding any soaps in the stores. I was in wal mart and target recently and they had nothing [huh] Any suggestions?

I've had good luck with Van Der Hagen Deluxe Shave Soap from Walmart. It usually costs around $1.50 per bar.

Perhaps it's a matter of local inventories, or maybe a matter of product location in your actual store, but I would imagine you should be able to find it in any Walmart somewhere around the shaving cream aisle. It can be hard to miss as there may be only one or two different soaps and, as in my case, both are located on the top shelf out of sight.

You might also try finding it on Amazon. If it's unavailable there, you could always try an alternative; there are many out there.

sfend002

Familiar Face
Thanks guys, I swear I have looked the Wal Mart up and down. I will have to try the local drug store again. But I have looked there before as well.

Rider

Familiar Face
I used Williams and Burma shave when I could find it. Unfortunately, the popularity of canned shave creams and gels makes it increasingly hard to find shave soaps at most retail locations.

I've taken to buying shaving soaps over the internet. My new favorite is Tabac with Poraso a close second. Shaving has become a pleasure rather than a chore.

sfend002

Familiar Face
John in Covina said:

In your area are there any really old family run drug stores? I'd ask there.

Good tip, I am going to have to look around. But thats half the fun!

I would rather not pay shipping on soap if I can. I just won an Otis Redding LP on ebay and the shipping was half the cost. Go figure.

Flieger

Practically Family
MrFusion said:
Has anyone tried the Ogallala Bay Rum shaving soaps? If so, did they work well?

I have, and I like the Ogallala shaving soaps very much. They give out lots of creamy foam for a close shave, smells wonderful and leaves the skin smooth and moisturized afterwards. I will definetley order from them again.

/F

MrFusion

One of the Regulars
Flieger said:
I have, and I like the Ogallala shaving soaps very much. They give out lots of creamy foam for a close shave, smells wonderful and leaves the skin smooth and moisturized afterwards. I will definetley order from them again.

/F

I appreciate the response! I have just ordered their shaving soap sampler. :)

MrFusion

One of the Regulars
Flieger said:

/F

I appreciate the response! I have just ordered their shaving soap sampler. :)

sfend002

Familiar Face
Well, I found one at the CVS. Its called "delux Shave Soap" Its in a little green box, no real brand. It has no real scent and man it really dried my face out. It was like using Ivory or something. I need to keep looking.

rikrdo

A-List Customer
Shavegeek checking in........

See THIS for a bunch of places to buy shavery.

Soaps are classified many different ways ways but an easy way to view them is either as hard (triple milled) or soft (glycerin based).
Traditional hard soaps such as D.R. Harris, Truefitt & Hill, Floris, Mitchell's Wool Fat are historically tallow based and can give really nice shaves but are kinda tricky to lather.
Glycerin based soaps like those at The Shave Den are softer and the soap maker can easily add "goodies" to them such as essential and / or fragrance oils for scent, shea butter, aloe, clays.......etc. to get a really custom product.

I wont say one type is better than another, cause I like em bo th!! :eek:

Now that you know a little bit more about soaps.............waitll I start going off about shave creams. And I DO NOT mean that junk you find in a can. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda