Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SOLD: Dated Belt Back Suit - Size 44, 38" x 30" Pants

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
When I was heavier, this was the crown jewel of my vintage suit collection. It's a made-to-measure suit dated March, 1942. The firm that made the suit, English-American Tailoring Co, of Baltimore, Maryland was pretty well known in "The Era" for being a maker of high end MTM mens clothing. The condition is absolutely immaculate and it looks brand new. My guess is that whoever bought this suit new never wore it. Based on the date, my theory has always been that the original owner was inducted into the military shortly after its purchase and the suit didn't fit him anymore when he was discharged several years later.

The jacket has a number of cool and desirable features such as peak lapels with edging, an action back, a pleated back-waist, and, of course, the belt. The pants are flat-fronted and have a button fly.

The jacket size is not labeled, but based on the measurements, it is a *true* 44 (i.e., the chest circumference is 47" un-stretched). The jacket waist at the top button in 42" in circumference. The back length is 29.5", including the collar, so the jacket is right on the boarder of being a Short and Regular. The sleeves are 25" with approximately 2" of selvage available for alteration.

The pants are a *true* size 38 (i.e., 19" strait across the waistband). The full waist circumference is 39.5" with 2" of usable selvage in the waistband. The outseam is 41" and the inseam is 30". There is 2.5" of usable selvage if lengthen the legs (and keep the 1 7/8" cuffs), if you do a French hem.

My price is $625 firm + postage and insurance. I will ship anywhere in the world.

And now, lots of pictures...

Last edited:

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Wonderful suit. I'm glad I missed this - it's my size so i might have been tempted (and I don't have any money at the moment).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24