Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Some Came Running (1958)

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Based on the James Jones novel. Directed by Vincente Minelli. Starring Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin and Shirley MacLaine.

The movie deals with Sinatra's character as a former writer/World War II veteran who comes home to the fictional Parkman, Indiana 1948 which is a stereotype of 1940's small town America.

I just watched it for the first time. A dark movie to say the least. I don't see anything bright about the movie. Basically slams the stereotype of what the era is portrayed. An interesting movie nonetheless.

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
Love the Elmer Bernstein score, especially that great opening cue when Sinatra is riding back to his hometown. There's also a wonderful, sophisticated, and classical-sounding piece that plays when his character is looking at the books by great authors that once inspired him.

I also like the hometown as it was circa 1958. The town was featured on Turner Classic Movies short where the denizens had a special viewing of Some Came Running on IIRC its 40th anniversary.

Naphtali

Practically Family
For me, the movie has aged poorly. When I first saw it on television during puberty, I was strongly moved by its angst. When I rented the DVD months ago to relive my youth, I could tolerate it for about 15 minutes. It has metamorphosed to being pretentious, or I to being jaded. Either works for me.

But Arthur Kennedy was, is, and will be among the finest actors. Period.

Hondo

One Too Many
I also caught it a while ago on TCM, as a fan of Shirley MacLaine's I've beening waiting to see it, never had before, heard highly regarded, since it was Directed by Minelli, and also Starring Sinatra, and Dean Martin. I wasn't disappointed with MacLainces role, it fits her charterers at the time (The Apartment) but I was with Dean Martins role, for some reason it was uneven, strange, I can't find the right words for it but I agree the film has aged, the big part of any disappointment is (maybe), is not seeing it in a theater screen, Tv doesn't bringing that quality, or mood of late 1940s to living rooms.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I also saw this for the first time on TCM a while back. I found it generally overwrought and unbelievable, though some of the performances were okay. It didn't strike me as having aged well, nor did it really live up to its alleged-classic status, IMHO.

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
Doctor Strange said:
I also saw this for the first time on TCM a while back. I found it generally overwrought and unbelievable, though some of the performances were okay. It didn't strike me as having aged well, nor did it really live up to its alleged-classic status, IMHO.

With the emphasis on the "alleged", Some Came Running's reputation hasn't changed all that much, if at all. The Oscars of 1959 recognized the film's performances but the movie itself was snubbed for Best Picture, so I believe that the film's strengths and weaknesses were acknowledged then as they are now.

But the music is tremendous! It's Elmer Bernstein in his best "swank-1950s-down-and-dirty" mode!

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Yes, it's a good score. I agree that Elmer Bernstein was a very talented film composer. (Not quite up in the Bernard Herrmann class, but who else is?!?)

I have a cool CD of highlights from some of his best scores that I picked up used for a buck at a street sale earlier this year. Definitely the best dollar I ever spent!

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
IMO the only below-average performance is Martha Hyer as the teacher. Sure, she looks beautiful but her wooden line delivery is the weak link in an otherwise fine ensemble of actors. I've read that she spent mucho $$$ (but don't they all?) jockeying for the Oscar nominations she got but it was bought, not earned!

What's odd about Hyer is that she was absolutely charming in her (brief) role in Sabrina.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran