Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Some Hat and Suit Pics

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
With two more days to go before I leave for California and the Queen Mary, I am going through my closet trying to decide what to bring. MK gave me some good advice on my tux and Matt asked me to post some photos of my pin-stripe suit, which inspired this thread.

So here are some of my vintage looks:

This is my Tux. It's not vintage, but it is black-tie, so I am bringing that.

This is my vintage-inspired pin-stripe suit and my brown Adventurebilt Hat.

This is a generic gray suit, but a good picture of my Gray Adventurebilt Hat.

The other suit is my charcoal tweed three-piece suit that is in my avatar.

So, here's the question I am bringing the tux, which suit should I bring, the charcoal tweed or the pin-stripe? And, which hat: gray or brown?

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
My vote

I say bring the gray hat and gray pin-stripe. Super-classy. Maybe you could take a shot of the gray tweed with the brown hat, though. Just my instincts nagging at me...

I have to admit, though, I like the way the pin-stripe looks brown in some of the pictures. You need to find an actual brown one!

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
DanielJones said:
Pinstripe definately. Looks great Hemingway.
Cheers!
Dan
Thank you, Dan.

Not-Bogart13 said:
I say bring the gray hat and gray pin-stripe. Super-classy. Maybe you could take a shot of the gray tweed with the brown hat, though. Just my instincts nagging at me...

OK, here are some pictures I just took:

That's the gray tweed with the brown Adventurebilt Hat.

This is the same suit with the Gray Adventurebilt:

I am really amazed at how much the choice of hat alters the whole look. It really does make a big difference.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I can't believe I'm saying this...

...but I think the gray tweed looks better with the brown hat than it does with the gray hat! Who would think brown would go with gray? Spooky. For some reason, it makes the suit look more vintage to me. The vest is a nice touch, by the way.

That said, I still say pack the pinstripe and gray hat for the trip. But don't forget the new-found combo! If it were me, though, I'd be anguishing over it!

Rigby Reardon

One of the Regulars
Hey, Hemingway, this is what we wanted...a chance to rummage around in your closet. ;) Now that I've seen them, I think you made the right choice - bringing the brown hat if you can only bring ONE, that is. It goes with pretty much everything you have. I think it would look great w/ the generic grey suit as well...but certainly it NAILS the grey tweed suit!

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Not-Bogart13 said:
...but I think the gray tweed looks better with the brown hat than it does with the gray hat! Who would think brown would go with gray? Spooky. For some reason, it makes the suit look more vintage to me. The vest is a nice touch, by the way.
That said, I still say pack the pinstripe and gray hat for the trip. But don't forget the new-found combo! If it were me, though, I'd be anguishing over it!
I agree with you 100%. The gray hat almost washes out the gray of the suit. The Brown hat seems to darken it.
I am anguishing over it. The thing is, I land in San Francisco tomorrow night; I am off to the Redwoods, Napa, then to the Mojave Desert, and LA and the QM. I am reluctant to bring my dress hat along to such extremes. That might necessitate the brown right there.

DanielJones said:
Wow Hemingway! It's the Man in the Gray Flannel Suit. Very nice ensamble you have there. Either choice will work nicely for the Queen Mary.
Cheers! Dan
Thanks, Dan.

Rigby Reardon said:
Hey, Hemingway, this is what we wanted...a chance to rummage around in your closet. ;) Now that I've seen them, I think you made the right choice - bringing the brown hat if you can only bring ONE, that is. It goes with pretty much everything you have. I think it would look great w/ the generic grey suit as well...but certainly it NAILS the grey tweed suit!
I think you might have sealed this for me!

Wild Root said:
Not bad, looking good bud!

I like the dark gray job you have there! Not a bad looking modern three piece!

=WR=
Thank you very much. I really like wool suits, especially with the ticket pocket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff