Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Some opinion needed.

zhz

Practically Family
Here is the story: I ordered a BK Westfall in the summer, I was more than happy with the jacket, but after some wear, I found the sleeve is short, because the measurements I gave to BK is about 1 inch short than it should be... So now, I asked BK if they can extend the sleeve, and the answer is yes, and they offered the following solutions:

a. We can replace the buttoned cuff with one that is 1 inch longer. (We think the sleeves have to be lengthened by at least 1 inch).
We do not think that is a good idea as the cuff will look big.

b. We can replace the buttoned cuff with the straight cuff, same or similar to the standard Westfall.

c. We can add a strap to the cuff (something like Aero's Wayfarer) to 'camouflage' the elongation.

I agreed that b and c are better solutions, but I am not sure which one is better.

What I am think is this, the standard Westfall cuff may look big as well, but the original Westfall do has a big cuff, so this may not be a problem.

I love solution c, using the strap to extend the cuff will not make it looks too big, but is this a bit annoying?

What do you guys think? Thank you

schitzo

Suspended
I vote B on the grounds that the design of this jacket isn't flashy enough to merit those straps. After all it's not a Ventura, and I'd worry they might look slightly out of place

Last edited:

Plumbline

One Too Many
I have had a variety of jackets with strap cuffs ( Aero Californian, Alexander Adventurer, Alexander Modified Oakland) I have never had the cuff catch on anything and find them very practical especially on my bike.

For many years the Californian was my "travelling jacket" and it did ove a million airline miles with me ... needing relining in the latter stages ..... it was and is a SUPERB jacket. Both Alexanders are proving equally superb.

I'd say go straps .. the strap is 1/2-3/4" wide and will really offset any cuff elongation.

just MHO

zhz

Practically Family
I have had a variety of jackets with strap cuffs ( Aero Californian, Alexander Adventurer, Alexander Modified Oakland) I have never had the cuff catch on anything and find them very practical especially on my bike.

For many years the Californian was my "travelling jacket" and it did ove a million airline miles with me ... needing relining in the latter stages ..... it was and is a SUPERB jacket. Both Alexanders are proving equally superb.

I'd say go straps .. the strap is 1/2-3/4" wide and will really offset any cuff elongation.

just MHO

Cheers mate, that helps a lot. Did some quick search on Aero Californian, found it looks similar to Westfall, and the strap on cuff looks great with it.

schitzo

Suspended
Ventura has a bi-swing back with a flashy yoke, and straps with holes and pin configuration on the sides and sleeves. In my view everything about the Ventura is flashy. With the westfall everything is kind of standard - i.e the back is as plain as it gets as is the front and as are the sleeves. Personally (as you know) I really like the simplistic quality of the Westfall and consider it a perfect canvas for showing off a really great leather, like the veg tanned Badalassi on yours for example

zhz

Practically Family
Ventura has a bi-swing back with a flashy yoke, and straps with holes and pin configuration on the sides and sleeves. In my view everything about the Ventura is flashy. With the westfall everything is kind of standard - i.e the back is as plain as it gets as is the front and as are the sleeves. Personally (as you know) I really like the simplistic quality of the Westfall and consider it a perfect canvas for showing off a really great leather, like the veg tanned Badalassi on yours for example

Good point, just remind me why I choose Westfall over others.
But there is problem, if I go for the standard cuff, extending it by 1 to 1.5 inch may result a big cuff and may look good with the jack.

You could have BK add a couple of buttons on the longer cuff (up near the top). Many 40s- 50s jackets had decorative buttons on this style cuff. It may visually "shorten" the cuff

zhz

Practically Family
By looking at some photos, I think the straight cuff may not be a bad idea, looking at the following two pics, the first one is standard Westfall, the second one is modified one which has a slight longer cuff:
10014628_865071740189785_6920999659669045395_n.jpg

10150724_776126182417675_1965659487619325280_n.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran